Ox?

Can I bring an ox, or another form of livestock?
Can I then try doing experimental magic at it?

Do zebras exist?

So says the wiki… Would have to be far away, maybe if there are any savannahs on the continent of the Sumaah republic or the commonwealth where we know almost nothing of the terrain. Given their similarity to the legendary Horse it might offer a clue as to the true origin of the High guard, or not.

As for the Oxen I think PD in general have frowned on bringing animals to events in the past but I don’t think there is a specific rule on oxen, as for magic on it, how would you get it to take the roleplay effect?

Depending on what actually killed off the Horse species, bringing a Zebra into the Empire might kill it (think of the way certain diseases like Antthrax can lie dormant for centuries until a suitable host comes along). My inner Merrow says that it might be a worthwhile experiment for that reason…

Or more poetically the horse died out from a malady as such spiritual as physical and any attempt to return such beasts to the Empire with anything other than the purest of intent will fail. (so any experiment is likely to fail since your intent is ‘what if?’ Rather than the desire for the strong partner that was the original role of the horse)

The Bourse killed the Horse.

The price of a warhorse just kept growing and growing… the perfect warhorse being a year-old gelding. So for a whole generation just about every male foal was gelded and then there weren’t enough Stalions to service the mares. Populations dwindled and dwindled. Highguard Histories say that the Last Horse fell in battle, alongside the Empress.
[size=50]Ignore those Urizen logistical records that suggests that Empress’s campaign hadn’t required fodder for several months beforehand.[/size]

In Empire, the term “Horse-trading” is an insult.

[quote=“Anwar”]

Depending on what actually killed off the Horse species, bringing a Zebra into the Empire might kill it (think of the way certain diseases like Antthrax can lie dormant for centuries until a suitable host comes along). My inner Merrow says that it might be a worthwhile experiment for that reason…[/quote]

If you just want to know that, we don’t need a horse at all. (Just some really good quarantine facilities.)

I can’t find anything on the wiki regarding bringing animals along, but I recall the answer has generally been no (with the odd exception for a dog known to be calm, the occasional bird of prey or ferret). If this is a serious request, as ever the answer lies with PD directly, but I’m guessing it’ll be no.

I think the key word with oxen is that they’re mundane animals, not much in the way of magic or magical symbolism associated with them (I think). So I’m not sure what you would theoretically manage to achieve, also empire’s world works different from here so throw scientific principals mostly out the window.

Oh also Vaan you’ve got your history mixed up there the bourse came after the Empire was created, it was the grasping misers of the corrupt Patricians Council who did for horses before the last of them died of grief. The story of how the first empress got her legendary horse must be an interesting one, worth seeking out I reckon.

This may not have been an entirely serious question, sorry.

Experimental use of Twilight Masquerade to help my ox to resemble a zebra is definitely a Wise use of magic. Grumpy Ox might be suffering from species dysphoria, perhaps she would be happier as a zebra? If Grumpy Ox was happier, we would be more Prosperous because she wouldn’t be so slow and annoying, and also she might not bite and kick me so much.

I would borrow some of these and paint stripes on them.

Remember however that night magic tends to heighten emotions so you might just end up with an even grumpier grumpy ox. Maybe Crystal clarity might be a better place to start…

Less stripes though.

SUCCESS!
http://www.rspca.org.uk/ImageLocator/LocateAsset?asset=image&assetId=1232736839147&imageSize=original&mode=prd
First they laugh at you, then you win!