Pilot Podcast

[quote]Matt Heath here!

Welcome to the pilot of the Empire Podcast - this is the first in what will hopefully be an insightful series of glimpses behind the curtain of Empire’s design, campaign and game. Matt Pennington, Andy Raff and Dave Young are posed some interesting questions about the game itself by Matt Heath, including what the Winds of War and Winds of Fortune do for PD and our players, why we made some of the original design decisions we did and if the game has progressed as we expected it.

We are keen to hear your feedback and would love you tell us what you think!

In the meantime, and without further ado, here is our podcast:[/quote]

[size=150]shoutengine.com/Empirepodcast/the-pilot-16277[/size]

Matt H and the gang would love to hear what you think about it, any questions they didn’t answer? Anything comments or feedback on what they did say? And what would you like to hear about next? Egregores and the player support team? Economics? Ritual Magic? Warfare? Tell us what you want to hear about the questions you’d like to see answered.

I really enjoyed the podcast, lots of interesting content in there. Personal preference would have been for it to be split into three shorter podcasts rather than one long one.

But, I’m not a massive podcast listener so would rarely listen for so long.

Love the idea of the podcast…

But,

@ 72 minutes there is no chance I’ll be able to listen to it.

I haven’t 72 minutes to spare on anything at the moment.

Could it be edited to 8 to 12 minute episodes, each with an overall theme if possible?

That would be much more accessible and much easier for listeners to keep track of what we had heard.

Great idea though!

[quote=“MickoftheLakes”]Love the idea of the podcast…

But,

Could it be edited to 8 to 12 minute episodes, each with an overall theme if possible?

That would be much more accessible and much easier for listeners to keep track of what we had heard.

Great idea though![/quote]

Sadly not really - the nature of podcasts leads to in depth discussions of material and building on previous points as part of that discussion. Cutting it up into short segments would lose that development and render it very dry quickly. You can listen in short bursts though if that is more suited to your day - at my workplace people commonly listen to podcasts while working and pause them if they need to - it provides you with the control over when and how you listen but does not remove some of the real advantages of producing content in this format.

Thoroughly enjoyed the podcast. Thought it was great to hear from those involved and get some insights into their thinking as a creative team. Given the size of the game it is impossible for most players to have the kind of contact with the people running it as you can have at some smaller events. Being able to hear this sort of discussion helps to bridge that gap. I would have been disappointed had it been much less than an hour given this was covering such a wide variety of topics. An hour on economic theory might push my concentration levels but I suspect an hour on the military campaign would be no problem at all. Everyone has different tastes after all.

I would love to hear something on the creative process that went into each nation’s brief. How the cultures were developed and given such variety. Also, where there any cultures that didn’t make it to the field.

Well that was a fascinating listen. I really enjoyed it. Thank you

WHERE I LISTEN (will be updated as I hear the rest)

BRB, digging out my ancient D&D books and reading all the random encounter tables.

LOVED the Synod opportunities that let them play around with wielding the power of organised religion. I’m reminded of people talking of reform within the Catholic Church and people talking about the Church having the momentum and turning circle of a supertanker sailing through treacle - it would be nice to see repercussions for doctrine changes or statements of principle, which of course are often heard louder by NPC commoners by people on the field even.

You know what I’m doing right now? I’m listening to your podcast instead of reading WoW/WoF aloud, because the WoW/WoF aren’t out yet.

Bourse opportunities YES. I have very little need to care who the hell is sitting in the bourse seats or what they think. Should that change?

Non hat opportunities - I do hear a lot of this. Feels like wearing a hat as a PC comes with an optional responsibility to make that hat fun for others.

WE BANNED THE CROWN :smiley:

I’m worried the Bourse game is too much of a long game.

I think the Bourse inflation thing is beginning to become a dollar auction, which is fun, although I’m genuinely worried by the system’s lack of a national debt and interest rate and the subsequent effect on the money supply.

Sesame Street also teaches you how to spell! << >>

Plenty of muppets at Empire.

murder> What is your stance on lynching? Because we had effectively a lynching (Vashti’s Penitents) and it got treated as a murder.

Mad Max> SIGN ME UP
I WILL EVEN WEAR A WIG

Lack of preconceptions concerning future course of the plot> Interesting to hear.

Sticking to peace treaties> Provided they aren’t broken by accident by players who didn’t intend to infringe a treaty… I love the way the Empire isn’t honourable. :smiley:

Where we are> Yeeesssss, but the new conquest serious people with hats are seriously eyeing up is in the three to five year plan range, unless one of our enemies seriously fucks up.

do not know if we will ever have a Throne> Iiiinteresssting.

Republic> It’s like the Holy Roman Empire with more democracy.

powers of Throne> I worry that the Throne’s power to kick over the Conclave is toothless and dumb.

Revocation> I still think revocation doesn’t have big enough teeth.

player events> There was like one a weekend all spring you know :slight_smile:

I thought that was really interesting, thanks guys. A few of the design ideas have been said before (or were merely self-evident), but it was good to hear things said and discussed. I also think Matt P is underestimating the amount he’s done to keep toilets operational.

If there was a podcast on macro-economics in Empire I would totally listen to it, but I think that would almost be counterproductive - how economics applies to the field is a subject of IC academic interest and having someone’s view authenticated as “PD correct” would be counterproductive to the debate.

On the other hand, I could see there being space for the design theory of each of the Imperial bodies (and the Bourse) to be discussed in their own Podcast. Some might be longer than others, of course.

The logic and theory behind the Nation briefs would also be awesome (as someone else said) - starting with the “What they are.” and “What they are not” sections of the Wiki and how that spilled out into the main game. I also heard once that Urizen were almost not an Imperial Nation, so it would be cool to hear about the arguments that went down around that… and potentially other Nations that didn’t make it.

[quote=“DelvyMatt”]

[quote=“MickoftheLakes”]Love the idea of the podcast…

But,

Great idea though![/quote]

Sadly not really - the nature of podcasts leads to in depth discussions of material and building on previous points as part of that discussion. Cutting it up into short segments would lose that development and render it very dry quickly. You can listen in short bursts though if that is more suited to your day - at my workplace people commonly listen to podcasts while working and pause them if they need to - it provides you with the control over when and how you listen but does not remove some of the real advantages of producing content in this format.[/quote]

Easily missed, but there is an option to download it on the pod cast, so you can stick it on your smartphone/mp3 player and have it going in the background of whatever else you’re doing. I listened to it while doing my physio stuff. downloaded podcasts in general are a nice alternative to music.

I think the current length has been determined solely by player action. If for example the Senate had given the finger to the Bourse in the first and second years f the game, it would have crashed earlier than it will. It’s ultimately a massive game of chicken and who will blink first is the telling factor.

I agree with everything Vaan said :slight_smile:

Really enjoyed this.
Good show.

Downloaded it to my phone, for whilst walking the dog.

Quite enjoyed the discussion and themes. And really like the idea of Fraggle Rock LARP.

Very much enjoyed the podcast, was great to hear how things are from the other side. Looking forward to hopeful future podcasts

[quote=“Iulian”]Mad Max> SIGN ME UP
I WILL EVEN WEAR A WIG[/quote]

I WILL WEAR A BALD WIG, AND AN EYEPATCH!

And probably buy some of that silver cake-spray that had it’s Amazon product reviews Warboy-ed.

Yup they have to do Mad Max style larp after ODC, it’s been said in passing so it’s real, that’s how it works right?

I’m off to get some old tyres :stuck_out_tongue: