*Preview* The Commonwealth

Version 1.0 of the Commonwealth is now up on the wiki if you’re interested in this distant foreign nation. Beware as this page is still under heavy construction so don’t rely on anything written there just yet. If you spot any errors as well flag 'em up in this thread for us to fix.

So what do we reckon the Daeva are going to look like then. Place bets now?

A Meritocratic Stratocracy? The Generals must be screaming with envy :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m actually really liking the look of them, things jump out at me that I think are cool. And anyway, what are the Daeva?!

[quote=“Mark_Wilkin”]
So what do we reckon the Daeva are going to look like then. Place bets now?[/quote]

In my mind they look like the Minbari from Babylon 5 - bony ridgelines, sparse hair. Or else some other variation on prosthetic forehead a la Star Trek aliens.

[quote=“Michael”]
And anyway, what are the Daeva?![/quote]

Note the OOC box on that page - PD don’t even really know, it seems.

A more interesting question is: what are gargoyles? :wink:

Gargoyles were an early iteration of daeva; I think all references to gargoyles have since been removed or replaced.

The OOC box is slightly misleading - the boss and I have some extremely solid ideas about daeva but we’re just not ready to write them down until we have re-sanity checked them and decided how much to tell people. It shouldn’t be the end of the world, as there are no daeva within the immediate vicinity of the Empire, and anyone who references interaction with them will just have to take a deep breath and be prepared to turn out to have been lying if their ideas don’t mesh with our final decision.

You might not be a million miles off with minbari, btw. A lot of our visual inspiration for the daeva is science-fantasy based rather than straight fantasy (I’ve looked at protoss, tau, vau, and draenai for example while another developer involved has been looking at jellyfish).

“Sci-fi species” is the other angle of alienation aside from “anthropomorphic animal races” a la Maelstrom and “Fantasy Soup” a la every other setting out there, so I’m not surprised. I’ve kind of been waiting for someone to apply that paradigm to a low-tech fantasy setting, actually.

The Sumaah page retained one, but I’ve amended it.

Cheers. I hope never to run another animal race LRP again unless we run that old TSR setting with the anthropomorphised animals and the Gentech that was surprisingly good. Whatever it was called.

The Commonwealth kind of reminds me of a mashing of Tau and Starship Troopers in a fantasy setting. I like it :slight_smile:

Interesting. I wonder what they think of ushabti?

Dammit, another reason to try and learn German… The Commonwealth sound like a nation I’d love to get involved with.

On another note: the Daeva will provide yet another cool thing to prod for investigative theology (and investigative thaumaturgy; do they have lineage?).

I am reasonably confident that only humans have lineage.

I am also reasonably confident that the Commonwealth would treat ushabti the same as they treat spades, should they ever become aware of them.

I’m imagining the daeva as salarians, either with or without the eusocial aspect.

Or, you-know. Mole-rat people.

[quote=“Andy Raff”]I am reasonably confident that only humans have lineage.

.[/quote]

That scuppers the whole “Unicorns are lineaged horses” idea…

And means we don’t have to worry about a lineaged rhino or drake. Not that I want to give you ideas…

However there can definitely be things like summerdrakes and such.

Such as the realms are!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You want a horselike creature from the Realms I can probably do you one.

(a) tor.com/2013/09/24/equoid/ [content warning: serious ick, 18 rated, this is a horror story by Charles Stross]
(b) it will be physrepped by a pantomime horse

(c) yes I’m joking

Ooo! What about the Myrka! That’s a pantomime horse iirc and probably quite Winter-y or Spring-y (tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Myrka)

And of course the Mahrid Llud is definitely a Winter thing. A horrible, clacketty, ribbbony winter thing.

[quote=“Andy Raff”]Ooo! What about the Myrka! That’s a pantomime horse iirc and probably quite Winter-y or Spring-y (tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Myrka)

And of course the Mahrid Llud is definitely a Winter thing. A horrible, clacketty, ribbbony winter thing.[/quote]

Mari Lwyd, “horrific in origin and intention”? I’ll be joining the pwnco again this year, my friend boiled up the horse’s skull a few years ago :smiley:
No more terrifying than Morris dancing, or trick-or-treat, or any of the other ways of extorting money from the bosses in midwinter when food and fuel are short.
Not so sure about winter. She only bites them as deserve it. Would probably enjoy the company of the Tangled Thorns.

Welp. I’m not saying I want The Commonwealth to take over the Empire.

But if they did, it sounds lovely.