Priest ceremony rules

A couple of priest-type questions:

1. Is it required, recommended or neither to have a referee while conducting a liao ceremony? My current guess is that if there isn’t a ref present then the ceremony is “voluntary” in the same kind of sense that combat without a ref present is, i.e. that if one party doesn’t want to endure the effects then they don’t have to, and that if there doesn’t happen to be a ref present then GOD ought to be advised and liao handed over shortly thereafter.

2. False virtues - I understand characters can’t start dedicated to a false virtue - is it possible to be dedicated to a false virtue in downtime backstory, or can it only happen in play (by finding a priest of that particular false virtue to conduct the ceremony? Or in the absence of any such characters, perhaps because you are conducting your own personal heresy, can you dedicate yourself?)

3)More false virtues - do priests of false virtue have hallowing, anointing and consecrating auras available to them? If so are there formulaic ones as per the true virtues or is it acceptable to improvise them?

Ta!

Hey there

1. Required no, recommended - saves time. But we can do the ceremony, get CID and then log with a ref that we find / God.

2. Pass

3. Check out the wiki profounddecisions.co.uk/empi … _presences

Hope this helps

1. I usually do the ceremony there and then, so as not to break the flow of the roleplay, then head to GOD afterwards. After a battle, for example, I might have a handful of liao to hand in having done a few Anointings before heading in. I make sure I have a ‘full’ and ‘empty’ bag so I don’t cheat by mistake.

2. I’m pretty sure you can’t backstory it, but do check with PD in case. I could well be wrong.

3. There are priests of False Virtues in other NPC nations - like Justice in Faraden, for example - so they might get the same skills. I’ve not talked to one to find out though. As Father Drakov’s link says the False Virtues are classed as ‘malign forces’ rather than Virtues though, so their priests may operate differently to our own.

PD would be able to give you an answer, or give you an official ‘find out in play’ rather than my musings.

Priests to false virtues can still perform priest ceremonies, they were on the Wiki but I can only find Peace RP effects now:
Peace Roleplaying effects

[quote=“Michael”]Priests to false virtues can still perform priest ceremonies, they were on the Wiki but I can only find Peace RP effects now:
Peace Roleplaying effects[/quote]

I think it’s likely that the false virtues are going to be looked at over winter. I wouldn’t take any of it as definitive.

1. Technically you require a referee. If you are doing something PVPish you absolutely should. In the interests of time when e.g. rushing for battle, doing an anointing without a ref is basically fine, but please try and find one of us to hand over the liao.

If you are doing any priest skills without a referee, make sure you are absolutely hot on the rules of them - how they stack, how they last, and which ones displace which others. Make sure your target is clear on anything which might affect their insight response in the near future as well.

Priest skills are in review over winter, so some details of this answer in particular may change.

1. You can’t dedicate yourself.

I’m not sure what you mean by ‘dedicated in downtime backstory’ - do you mean that you become dedicated over a downtime after playing? If so, no - dedication is an uptime thing, especially to a false virtue. The only possible exceptions here would be plot driven.

1. Yes. Some of them are on the public wiki, if I recall correctly. There are formulaic ones, as for normal virtues.

It is possible to get yourself dedicated to a false virtue by sending a message to an NPC priest who is not on the field. However, you would need to send the message in uptime.
Asking around about previously known cults of false virtues would be a good place to start.

Hello!

THis Winter the boss and I are going to take a look at the Synod (as we did the MC, Concalve, and Senate). I don’t anticipate much changing there apart from some layouts and such simply because the Synod appears to be working quite well (which is why we left it until last).

We’re also going to be working with refs to overhaul the mechanics behind priest skills. There was a review at the end of the last winter, but we didn’t get our arses in gear until it was too late to implement them. We’ll use that review as a starting point. The big argument at the moment is whether the changes will be IC due to an Eternal, a magical conjunction, or a civil servant. Place bets now! It’s possible at this time that we will do a pass through roleplaying effects and see if we can make the language a bit punchier.

False virtures are a thorny topic. I can’t really discuss them on an OOC board in detail, apart from to say that unless something dramatic changes they would follow all the same rules as the existing virtues.

As to "how you get dedicated to a virtue other than the Legitimate Seven … all I’m prepared to say at this time is it would require a damn sight more than a letter. And that at some point, someone capable of dedicated an Imperial to an Evil Virtue would need to be on the main field at Anvil in possession of a dose of liao, and perform a religious ceremony that I strongly suspect might require fireworks and a tannoy system as part of it’s traditional trappings.

My money’s on “The Labyrinth of Ages is a place of pure spirit and beyond the true comprehension of any but a Paragon.” personally. :wink:

Many thanks all for the replies :slight_smile:

Particularly this:

[quote=“Andy Raff”]
As to "how you get dedicated to a virtue other than the Legitimate Seven … all I’m prepared to say at this time is it would require a damn sight more than a letter. And that at some point, someone capable of dedicated an Imperial to an Evil Virtue would need to be on the main field at Anvil in possession of a dose of liao, and perform a religious ceremony that I strongly suspect might require fireworks and a tannoy system as part of it’s traditional trappings.[/quote]

no chance of secret covens of heretical believers in Peace or Freedom or Humility going about their business quietly until hunted down by the Inquisitors then? :wink:

[quote=“The Land”]Many thanks all for the replies :slight_smile:

Particularly this:

[quote=“Andy Raff”]
As to "how you get dedicated to a virtue other than the Legitimate Seven … all I’m prepared to say at this time is it would require a damn sight more than a letter. And that at some point, someone capable of dedicated an Imperial to an Evil Virtue would need to be on the main field at Anvil in possession of a dose of liao, and perform a religious ceremony that I strongly suspect might require fireworks and a tannoy system as part of it’s traditional trappings.[/quote]

no chance of secret covens of heretical believers in Peace or Freedom or Humility going about their business quietly until hunted down by the Inquisitors then? :wink:[/quote]

Only PC secret sects :stuck_out_tongue:

Actually it’s buried in the the FAQ
profounddecisions.co.uk/empi … _Virtue.3F

[quote]Can I play a priest of a False Virtue?
It is possible to be a priest of a False Virtue and it is possible for such a priest to dedicate others to their False Virtue - but you cannot start out that way, you have to try to achieve it in play. Of course you can start out as a person who believes in the False Virtue and is seeking to become dedicated and to spread it.[/quote]

[quote=“The Land”]
no chance of secret covens of heretical believers in Peace or Freedom or Humility going about their business quietly until hunted down by the Inquisitors then? :wink:[/quote]

The temptation to start a conspiracy theorist who sees peace and humility as the secret puppet-masters of imperial affairs in the style of Zapp Brannagan’s war on the Neutral Planet is growing.