Pull Your Blows ! :)

I have not yet done any combat at Empire (mostly because I always get up to late to join in, being a night person who goes to bed at 5 ish)
But I have watched a few fights in the Arena and it looks pretty full on compared to what I used to do years ago when I did fight.
I have a weak knee and bad neck/back so I am a little reluctant to join in but hope to next year.

But it would be nice to see people hold back a little bit more please :laughing:

But for those who love there combat hard and heavy check this out :slight_smile:
And No I don’t think anybody at Empire is hitting this hard, so no need to flame me, this video is for entertainment purpose only!
Enjoy.

failblog.cheezburger.com/share/54972417

Generally best to avoid judging something you’ve not been part of. But extra reminders to pull blows are hardly a bad thing~

It’s worth remembering that Arena fights are often more intense than general LARP fighting, simply because the participants may have agreed to go a bit harder than usual. I’ve done some steel combat and I’m used to a more physical style of fighting with more barges and bashes that I wouldn’t use in LARP, unless it was by prior agreement, but does make a good show if I can find a like-minded individual in the arena.

This :smiley:

A thousand times this. My experience of combat at Empire thus far has be excellent and I’ve only heard one cry of “Pull your blows” in combat which was quickly met by an apology from the responsible party.

Get into some combat first, then decide if things are too rough, not the other way around.

This hasn’t been an issue so far that I’ve seen on the battlefield, only had one hard wack when I attacked someone from behind while monstering and they spun round catching me in the face. Which is fair enough, stuff like that happens and I was fine a few minutes later. But on the whole when it comes to melee combat people I’ve seen have been safe as players and monsters, especially in the woodland on uneven ground. I understand there have been a few problems with the odd archer but I know the refs have been very hot on that issue since it was spotted.

Not sure about the odd archer… to me it seems to be a problem with a fair number of them.

I had a couple of arrows with damaged/missing heads fired in my general direction while monstering E3 (thankfully from archers with poor aim).

Also noticed a number of archers on both sides while I was between respawns monstering at E4, just picking up each others’ arrows and firing them straight back without any sort of check of the arrow. This wasn’t just the odd heat of the moment thing either, but constantly over the duration of the battle.
(I did point this out to refs at the time, but nothing was done at the time. Don’t know if the archers were spoken to at a later point).

[quote=“DHosein”]
I had a couple of arrows with damaged/missing heads fired in my general direction while monstering E3 [/quote]

Seriously, Missing Heads?

As in multiple bare shafts with no blunt?

Let’s not have yet another system where the cry “pull your blows” gets yelled by those who wish to avoid taking hits.

I’ve had a request the pull my blows, when I was amped in the Karsk Regio ritual at E 1. I did just that. But I don’t want to hear this in regular combat yelled at effective fighters (of which I do not count myself as one) by those determined to walk off the field with the prize at any cost. If you think someone is swinging to hard get a ref.

Well, 1 was a damaged head. Blunt head was still there, but the foam was ripped to shreds.
The other had the shaft split a good inch below where the head should have been.

Thankfully that both fell short and didn’t hit anything.

Admittedly, that’s only 2 out of however many were being fired, but it only takes one…

As an archer at Odyssey, I make a point of checking all my arrows before going to the arena or on a quest. Then checking them as I pick them up before they go back into the quiver.
There’s also the rule that weapons refs check all arrows before any fight, and that no arrows are picked up from the ground and fired.

All sensible precautions that we seem to have dropped at Empire.

Every outing I’ve been on, I’ve seen archers checking their arrows, and arrow collectors often check 'em too. The very IC nature of the departure for battle seems to have discouraged the pre-battle safety brief for the players, which isn’t a good thing.

Not being able to shoot any given arrow more than once a fight would make archery dreary in the extreme.

[quote=“DHosein”]Well, 1 was a damaged head. Blunt head was still there, but the foam was ripped to shreds.
The other had the shaft split a good inch below where the head should have been.

Thankfully that both fell short and didn’t hit anything.

Admittedly, that’s only 2 out of however many were being fired, but it only takes one…

As an archer at Odyssey, I make a point of checking all my arrows before going to the arena or on a quest. Then checking them as I pick them up before they go back into the quiver.
There’s also the rule that weapons refs check all arrows before any fight, and that no arrows are picked up from the ground and fired.

All sensible precautions that we seem to have dropped at Empire.[/quote]

The rules explicitly state that an archer must check all arrows they pick up. People not doing so are breaking the rules as well as being unsafe, and I know PD are keeping an eye out.

I assume you told a ref about the unsafe arrows?

Odyssey, for at least the events I was playing an archer (2-5) was perfectly okay with picking up, rechecking, and re-using arrows during a quest. Arrows are only never reused in a single arena battle.

As long as the archers are properly following their requirements in rechecking each arrow personally, it should be fine.

To be honest, I’ve only had one bad blow to the face which the participant who managed to land the blow immediately tried to cover the area and stop combat and all around and help me find my glasses and apologised. For which I am extremely grateful, they were great about it and made the experience a lot easier to deal with. Knowing it wasn’t done maliciously instantly assuaged any annoyance and made me just want to carry on. The medics had a quick look and as I will say to them at every event thank you for all they do in ensuring all of us are fine on and off the battlefield I for one deeply appreciate it.

But the other thing is rarely do I see anything suspicious or bad. I have had my share in when either things have gone wrong or when a bad blow has come from me and I endeavour to apologise if I have had a bad moment. But we all know occasionally a bad blow does happen on the field it is not malicious its part of what happens that we try to eliminate.

BUT I have to say I love playing and being in battle with all you, a great community to be part of.

Though arrows are meant to be checked when they are picked up, players with no archery experience such as myself do not know what to check for. This makes the requirements for archers to also check the arrows vital. Some that I picked up and handed to archers were immediately placed in the quiver and I noted that they were not checking arrows before each shot.

The responsibility’s meant to be on the archer who shoots it, not the person who picks it up. Those archers that stuck them straight in the quiver were doing it wrong, unless they had some sort of cunning two-quiver system.

At one of the events (E3?) the refs were asking people to check the arrow BEFORE they fired it, reasoning that they could have been damaged in the quiver (which I guess is feasible but unlikely assuming you’d checked it before putting it in the quiver!) so just because you don’t see an archer checking an arrow before they put it in their quiver doesn’t always mean they don’t check it before firing.

I was a noob lrp archer at E2, but was lucky enough to know some v sensible people (inc several weapons checkers) that talked me through what to look for - it’s the old adage of if you don’t know ask - but yeah not everyone does.

Perhaps this could be re-iterated IC (ish) at any archery contests, etc. because whilst it is very clearly stated in the wiki, I doubt that many (first time) archers will read it.

Short version - if you see a (noob) archer, don’t ask them if they know how to check an arrow, ask them how to check an arrow!

i went to my first event the last one of 2013 to monster to see what it was like i was very disapointed with the large battles not many people pulling there hits and like the other chap said i did see alot of archers shooting arrows stright back up off the floor with out looking at it and my personel experience of battle being hit in the head 3-4 times by 2 people at the same time falling over in a fuddle not knowing what was going on really spoiled it for me and at that point i was not going to attend again but once i did some monstering for quests i did really enjoy it people pulling hits asking if you ok when you slip over etc changed my mind about it i just wish people would not swing there swords around like crazy loons and fight a bit more like you would if you had a real sword.

Hi Vader,

I’m glad you found the fun in the end. I Suppose the big question is, Will you be coming back to E5?

yeah i will be monstering again got 3 friends that want to come as well i would like to go as a player but short on cash to buy the kit and ticket really did enjoy it all the great people i spoke to and it all looks good in ic area