Raiding query

Thinking of getting a fleet and was just wondering that if we have a cease fire/peace treaty with a barbarian port that we would normally be allowed to raid is it now no longer considered a crime if we trade with them?

According to my understanding, the cease-fire with the Jotun only covers large-scale warfare. Border raids are entirely permitted (in either direction), and they are still legally Barbarians, not Foreigners, so trading is forbidden.

But I’m not a magistrate.

Might I recommend enquiring of your local Vigilance priest for their opinion on the matter :smiling_imp:

Trading with barbarians by ship is a crime.
The most notable barbarians are the Jotun, the Thule, the Druj and the Grendel, but there are others.

Raiding foreigners by ship is a crime.
The most notable foreigners are those who own ports that ships can trade with, but there are others.

If we were to have a short-term truce with a barbarian nation, then that barbarian nation would not be legal to trade with, because it would still a barbarian nation. In fact, raiding it would be a good idea, even, because it would bleed them in advance of the inevitable resumption of war.

The word “raiding” in the Jotun tongue is sometimes also translated as “picnic” or “first date”.

So should my sailors all be in mini-skirts then?

[quote=“Dratharr”]

So should my sailors all be in mini-skirts then?[/quote]

Well a long robe would be impractical on board ship!

[quote=“Vaan”]

So should my sailors all be in mini-skirts then?
Well a long robe would be impractical on board ship![/quote]

What sort of an Urizen are you?

One who hasn’t tripped and fallen overboard before leaving sight of land.

Calf-length robes might be a slight affront to traditional Urizen modesty, but at least I can task the ushabti with something other than scrubbing the Anvil mud out.

The position is as Tea and Iulian have said.

The current armistice with the Jotun does not prohibit raiding, nor does it change their status as barbarians.

trust me if it wasn’t in effect as them still as barbarians I’d of been arrested three or four times and probably been executed by now!

Raiding Jotun is big and clever. Oh yes.

But does it have strategic value? How about raiding an area currently cursed with Rivers Run Red?

(Please don’t raid Holberg! :smiley:)

I’m under the impression that raiding does have a strategic-scale effect on the people that you raid, but I don’t know how that is actually implemented. I suspect that it involves Raff reading a spreadsheet of who has raided what and performing some dark incantation.