Ritual Length at the Regio

I vaguely recall someone mentioning that rituals performed in a regio only need to be 5 minutes long, but the wiki still says 10 minutes. Was that person talking out of their bottom, or is that a thing now (and if the latter, can someone point me towards the official announcement please)?

I am not able to make official rules calls on the forum, Graeme should be along shortly with one of those, and we should have the wiki up to date shortly as well.

However, to forestall confusion:

Regio rituals have been through a number of incarnations, because 10 minutes turned out to be a daft idea.

The rules as of last event, which are expected to be the same going forward, are these:

A ritual at a Regio is not extended above its normal length

This means that a ritual which normally takes two minutes, when cast at a regio, takes two minutes. A ritual which takes ten minutes, such as Whispers through the Black Gate, will take ten minutes when cast at a regio*.

*Most of these rituals require the use of a regio, but that’s a side point here.

Ah. Wiki definitely needs a good update then.

Like Tea says, nowt official but I think that is the rules we are going to end up with.

I can’t think of a single ritual that requires a regio that isn’t 10 minutes - quite intentionally. These are likely to be big splashy musical numbers with big, splashy effects and only a few cast each event.

In theory we could have even longer minim-time for some regio rituals, but I don’t see a huge amount of advantage in them.

I have no problems with Mark the Flesh Incorruptible (Winter Mag 4) but it is a Regio required ritual that takes 10 minutes, is at a low level and is relatively low key (compared to the bigger rituals). Just pointing it out in that annoying “there is always exception” kind of way.

MtFI is 10 mins/regio because our assumption is that the ritual would be combined with a funeral, and take place once or twice a year at most. I must remember to talk to Graeme about making it multiple target.

[quote=“Andy Raff”]Like Tea says, nowt official but I think that is the rules we are going to end up with.

I can’t think of a single ritual that requires a regio that isn’t 10 minutes - quite intentionally. These are likely to be big splashy musical numbers with big, splashy effects and only a few cast each event.

In theory we could have even longer minim-time for some regio rituals, but I don’t see a huge amount of advantage in them.[/quote]

While you’re at it, now that various offensive cruise-missile curses are within the strategic reach of the Empire, could you give us a pass on whether we can use the Anvil Regio to cast them on a non-Imperial territory we have a map of? That’s what the wiki seems to say, but I’d rather not turn up at the Regio with our truck full of ritual ming only to be told that we have to schlep it all the way to Karsk, and I know that those rituals went up before most of the others.

Clearly the ones I’m interested in personally are Rivers Run Red, Foam and Spittle of the Furious Sea and Rivers of Life, but there are also some damned interesting Winter ones.

I strongly suspect you have to go to the territory to cast them on non-Imperial territories. I’ll ask Graeme about it.

And as it happens neither I nor the ref who watched me perform the ritual remembered this requirement when I cast it this event, oops. It does work quite well in a tent with just a few witnesses as it turns out. I approached it more as an embalming than a funeral; I think it would have been very different if we’d had to bear the remains to the regio - more of a crowd would have been expected I think. Well, with luck I won’t have to cast it unmastered anytime soon…

[quote=“Dre”]

And as it happens neither I nor the ref who watched me perform the ritual remembered this requirement when I cast it this event, oops. It does work quite well in a tent with just a few witnesses as it turns out. I approached it more as an embalming than a funeral; I think it would have been very different if we’d had to bear the remains to the regio - more of a crowd would have been expected I think. Well, with luck I won’t have to cast it unmastered anytime soon…[/quote]

Hm.

I suspect we can help avoid that going forward by putting a reminder into the ritualomatic. I’ll file it as a bug report…

[quote=“tea”]

And as it happens neither I nor the ref who watched me perform the ritual remembered this requirement when I cast it this event, oops. It does work quite well in a tent with just a few witnesses as it turns out. I approached it more as an embalming than a funeral; I think it would have been very different if we’d had to bear the remains to the regio - more of a crowd would have been expected I think. Well, with luck I won’t have to cast it unmastered anytime soon…

Hm.

I suspect we can help avoid that going forward by putting a reminder into the ritualomatic. I’ll file it as a bug report…[/quote]

Yep, I did even assume it was a 10 minute ritual but was told nope, 2 minutes was enough. As noted it is an outlier in terms of ritual length and regio-requirement so I’m not surprised it was overlooked.

[quote=“Iulian”]
While you’re at it, now that various offensive cruise-missile curses are within the strategic reach of the Empire, could you give us a pass on whether we can use the Anvil Regio to cast them on a non-Imperial territory we have a map of? That’s what the wiki seems to say, but I’d rather not turn up at the Regio with our truck full of ritual ming only to be told that we have to schlep it all the way to Karsk, and I know that those rituals went up before most of the others.

Clearly the ones I’m interested in personally are Rivers Run Red, Foam and Spittle of the Furious Sea and Rivers of Life, but there are also some damned interesting Winter ones.[/quote]

The ruling we have had on the field whilst casting Naeve’s Twisting Blight and Icy Maw Devours the Spark of Essence is that to cast from the Anvil regio, we must have at least a foothold in that particular territory. E.g., it is not currently possible to smack Reikos with a territory curse, but it is possible to smack Karsk.

Personally, I think there’s some awesome potential mileage in this for quests/skirmishes to go CAST MASSIVE SPELLS :slight_smile:

[quote=“chazmch”]

[quote=“Iulian”]

Clearly the ones I’m interested in personally are Rivers Run Red, Foam and Spittle of the Furious Sea and Rivers of Life, but there are also some damned interesting Winter ones.[/quote]

The ruling we have had on the field whilst casting Naeve’s Twisting Blight and Icy Maw Devours the Spark of Essence is that to cast from the Anvil regio, we must have at least a foothold in that particular territory. E.g., it is not currently possible to smack Reikos with a territory curse, but it is possible to smack Karsk.

Personally, I think there’s some awesome potential mileage in this for quests/skirmishes to go CAST MASSIVE SPELLS :slight_smile:[/quote]

The latest call I got is that you actually need the territory to count as Imperial for that to work now - i.e. for it to be eligible for a Senator position, around >50% of ownership; so we can do Skarsind but not Karsk… but I don’t know how far this information has been disseminated amongst the ref team!
There is a marked difference in wording for some rituals though - wiki is down right now but I believe Thunderous Tread of the Trees for instance just says “you need a map” rather than “you can target any Imperial territory via the Anvil Regio” as most curses do.

I definitely agree on the quests potential though, even if it does mean that PD have to decide at any stage whether to create an opportunity for such curses to be delivered by allowing a regio to a) exist and b) have a quest attached to it! (Alternatively it’s a sanctioned event opportunity, but that opens another can of worms!)

[quote=“chazmch”]

[quote=“Iulian”]

Personally, I think there’s some awesome potential mileage in this for quests/skirmishes to go CAST MASSIVE SPELLS :slight_smile:[/quote]

I got an explicit ruling from Graeme last year that this was not the case - the bar for being able to target a territory for a curse/enchantment from the Imperial regio is the same as the bar for the territory getting a senator.

The rules for rituals that target a region (the fortress creation ones are the only ones that spring to mind) are not clear to me.

I think this makes a lot of sense. cursing the thule from the comfort of our own home is nothing like as epic as engaging in a special ops mission where we raid enemy territory in order to CAST MASSIVE SPELLS :slight_smile: I think there is room for improvement in terms of providing/making sure we are aware of these oppurtunities, although us players are only really starting to get organised enough to be able to take advantage anyway, and there probably aren’t many covens that can pull off meaningful curses.

Or people need to push asking for regios from Eternals. Which requires Eternals to consider that a valid thing to grant

OK, given that that’s two conflicting rulings, can we have this on the wiki in words in detail please?

There is at least one eternal page that lists it as something they do as a boon.

I’m concerned that the Empire is cursing territories from the comfort of anvil while the barbarians apparently have to do a quest. One to clarify pretty soon I think.

Agree, it needs de-confusing.

If it is possible for there to be opportunity to go out questing to curse places, or even better potentially-requestable opportunities, that would be amazing. There are plenty of places we would love to drop a territory curse or two on!

On the other hand, if it was clarified such that opportunities didn’t arise, that could be a bit of a slap and a missed opportunity for cool. The territory curses are a really good roleplay Hard Decision, particularly in places where there are lots of Empire troops and civilians.

I have awesome mental images of ritualists screaming curses, pouring blood from their eyes, while a wall of slight-unnerved warriors tries to catch arrows around them.

Yes, exactly.

I mean, the odd cruise missile is cool, and it’s nice to be able to use things like Rivers of Life or Foam and Spittle defensively, but we’d been planning as if one would be expected to go to (say) Otkodov if one wanted to Thunderous Deluge it.

I actually like it being physically linked to whether the territory has a Senator, and would find it absolutely hilarious to require the Senator for a territory to be physically present in order to use the Anvil Regio to curse / bless it, but that might be because I’m a masochist who enjoys giving people the run around.