Second costume for dawn yeofolk character

hi so ,i finished my first dawn costume (proud of it) now i am kinda thinking of making a second. i want one thats more simple and yeofolk-ish…any good exsisting patterns for a long dress ? (i have already checked the brief of the empire wiki,sadly non of them seem to work,so hope people would help me

2 Likes

Unfortunately the pattern companies tend to switch out their costume patterns fairly regularly and as the wiki was first set up some 6(?) years ago now, a lot of links are out of date. Usually if you search for the pattern number + company you can find them secondhand on Etsy or eBay.

It’s obviously going to depend on your experience level/confidence, but here are some possibilities for a basic kirtle-type dress. Your choice of fabric is going to have a big effect - keep the colours bright and rich with plenty of trim for Dawn, but switch down to slightly coarser fabrics - linen/linen-look and wool - for the lower status of yeofolk.

Nice fantasy-style princess seam dress, the high collar and tunic length with slits are nice extra options:

https://www.simplicity.com/simplicity-storefront-catalog/patterns/costumes/adult/simplicity-sewing-pattern-8768-misses-fantasy-costumes/

Yes, it’s Merida cosplay. You’ll want to skip the shoulder rolls (they belong in the League) and it’s a lot easier to have a separate undershirt/shift/smock rather than the frilled false front, but the long lines, and back and waist lacing work just fine for Dawn:

Happy working from a tutorial rather than a pattern? Check out Rosalie Gilbert’s website - lots of simple tutorials for medieval garb including two kinds of basic laced kirtle: one with underarm gussets in the T-Tunic style, and one with inset sleeves:

2 Likes

They’re off-brief for all Empire nations.