Senate Changes to poison weapons and Blade Venoms?

Hey all, was wondering if someone could help clear up something for me. Is it true that the Senate legalised poison weapons at the last event. If true, does this extend to the weapon poisons the Apothacary can make?

Well from the fact the synod failed to veto it, my guess would be yes from
“Veto of the Senate Motion to repeal the ban on the use of the Scorpion Sting”

This applies only to the scorpion sting dagger, however the only potion from the Legacy of thorns set to be illegal to carry is gutwrench. That hasn’t changed, the other two which could actually be described as blade venoms were never illegal.

You should be able to see the senate motions when they’re written up and published on the wiki, which should clear this up.

However I believe the motion only applied to “The Scorpion Sting” not anything else.

Yes, it specifically only applied to Scorpion Sting daggers, and means it is now legal to manufacture, sell, buy and own these.

Using them on an imperial citizen is still illegal. Being caught carrying them while whistling innocently next to the body of someone murdered by them will still make you the prime suspect, you just now won’t get arrested on the additional charge of having illegal weaponry.

Cheers everyone, I’ll keep an eye out for the Senate notes on the wiki.

I think there was also a discussion/vote about Scorpion’s Sting in Conclave - I don’t remember the outcome.
Do Conclave notes get published in similar way to Senate/Synod?

Interdiction for Scorpion’s Sting dagger was raised and defeated.

In theory Conclave notes do go up. In practice I believe the best Conclave notes that exist are in the hands of players, although there does exist a decent record of which Declarations passed or failed (or at least I observed one being made!)

Not up to this point, apart from who got elected to the positions.

The Current Affairs page on the wiki is where it would be if it existed.

edite Tell a lie it’s on the wiki here - Conclave recent history someone should get that linked on the Curent Affairs page :slight_smile:.

Back to the original question.
As far as I know the apothecaries blade venoms have never been legaly restricted.
There are ingestive poisons that are illegal though.

I believe this is the list of illegal poison related stuff.

profounddecisions.co.uk/empi … f_Property

Oil of Blackthorn and Redwillow Paste aren’t mentioned. Nor is the Barbed Spear for that matter.

With Scorpion’s Sting now legalised.
(Also note; contrary to what some people believe the Scorpion’s Sting hasn’t been effected by the change to the Venom spell. Using a Scorpion’s Sting means you are also effected by VENOM: profounddecisions.co.uk/empi … %27s_Sting )

[quote=“Illithidbix”]
Oil of Blackthorn and Redwillow Paste aren’t mentioned. Nor is the Barbed Spear for that matter.

With Scorpion’s Sting now legalised.
(Also note; contrary to what some people believe the Scorpion’s Sting hasn’t been effected by the change to the Venom spell. Using a Scorpion’s Sting means you are also effected by VENOM: profounddecisions.co.uk/empi … %27s_Sting )[/quote]

The Venom damage call has been confirmed changed, that particular wiki page just hasn’t been updated yet.

profounddecisions.co.uk/empi … pdate_2015

“We are in the process of updating a small number of magical items and rituals to make them compatible with the new rules. They will be listed here as they are updated.”

The Venom call now causes your bleed time to 30s

The Venom spell now does not have a sympathetic effect.

The Scorpion’s Sting still venoms the user (as does the Barbed Spear).

The reason the Venom spell is no longer sympathetic is because of the changes to Battle Magic, not the changes to Venom.

Wiki may need updating then.

Barbed spear does not list a sympathetic effect.profounddecisions.co.uk/empire-wiki/Barbed_Spear

Though the Scorpians sting does. profounddecisions.co.uk/empire-wiki/Scorpion%27s_Sting

On a side note, during the discusions around the law change a one handed spear that causes venom was often mentioned. There does not seem to be one.
I’m assuming for now that it was just people reading about a ‘Barbed Spear’ and not realising it is a polearm.

[quote=“Arkat”]Wiki may need updating then.

Barbed spear does not list a sympathetic effect.profounddecisions.co.uk/empire-wiki/Barbed_Spear[/quote]

Whoops, thank you.

That’s been deliberately edited, so I believe it is correct. Scorpion’s Sting deliberately remains sympathetic.

I agree that the likely cause of the 1h spear confusion is the Barbed spear, but there might also be a contributing factor from the Thorn’s Kiss banner.

[quote=“tea”]

That’s been deliberately edited, so I believe it is correct. Scorpion’s Sting deliberately remains sympathetic.

I agree that the likely cause of the 1h spear confusion is the Barbed spear, but there might also be a contributing factor from the Thorn’s Kiss banner.[/quote]

The three spells Venom, Weakness, and Paralysis used to also affect the spellcaster at the same time that they affected the target. This sympathetic backlash has been removed from these spells, so casters no longer suffer these affects themselves by casting these spells.

I don’t understand how sympathetic backlash has been removed, but not in this one case… I mean it’s a magic item, and doesn’t need to be reloaded with doses of a blade oil (which I could understand getting everywhere and poisoning both parties on use, although that doesn’t appear to be the case for the blade oils on their wiki page).

The Barbed Spear is a magic item that can also strike for Venom once per day (exactly the same as the sting) but that doesn’t mention any backlash, so it’s not because it’s an item rather than a spell, so I’m struggling to rationalise why this doesn’t operate the same way :confused:

[quote=“Paul_Cat”]

[quote=“tea”]

I agree that the likely cause of the 1h spear confusion is the Barbed spear, but there might also be a contributing factor from the Thorn’s Kiss banner.[/quote]

The three spells Venom, Weakness, and Paralysis used to also affect the spellcaster at the same time that they affected the target. This sympathetic backlash has been removed from these spells, so casters no longer suffer these affects themselves by casting these spells.

I don’t understand how sympathetic backlash has been removed, but not in this one case… I mean it’s a magic item, and doesn’t need to be reloaded with doses of a blade oil (which I could understand getting everywhere and poisoning both parties on use, although that doesn’t appear to be the case for the blade oils on their wiki page).

The Barbed Spear is a magic item that can also strike for Venom once per day (exactly the same as the sting) but that doesn’t mention any backlash, so it’s not because it’s an item rather than a spell, so I’m struggling to rationalise why this doesn’t operate the same way :confused:[/quote]

The Sting is also literally the only dagger-form magic item in the game. That covers a multitude of unusual weirdness.

[quote=“MorkaisChosen”]
The Sting is also literally the only dagger-form magic item in the game. That covers a multitude of unusual weirdness.[/quote]

That’s actually a very good point, and one I hadn’t considered.
If someone creates a Weakness or Paralysis dagger it would be interesting to know if those are also Sympathetic,

The general reason it’s different IC can be summed up by shaking a fist at the sky and shouting “CONJUNCTION!”

Whether other dagger-class weapons are also sympathetic seems likely - but someone would have to invent one to find out.

PARALYSE!!!

Oh dear! I’m stuck and cannot move.

Damn you!!! Let me assassinate you. Dammit!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk