Strap-on Shields

https://www.profounddecisions.co.uk/empire-wiki/Combat_skills

I’ve been looking at the shield weapon section of the wiki and I’m not sure if my shield can be used according to the rules. It has two straps which go onto the forearm that can be tightened instead of a single handle. Usually I just hold on to one of the straps for more stability, but would the absence of a proper handle make it illegal to use as the rules state that a shield must be held in the hand.

Thanks for any help.

1 Like

So, the important thing from a rules perspective is that your shield needs to “use up” one of your hands. Having a strap as the handle that you’re holding in a hand is fine for that - it’s still taking up your hand.

What isn’t allowed is, for example, a shield that you strap to your forearm and use to parry while you’re also wielding a sword in that hand.

(Usual disclaimer: nobody is a ref on the internet, email rules or ask at the event for an official call)

5 Likes

Ok, thanks

@tea side question, could you hold another sword in the shield hand, so long as you arent using it?

My rule of thumb for that is “yes, if it’s completely hidden behind the shield”. If it’s sticking out (and so could potentially be used as an extra parrying surface or as a striking tool) then it’s more dubious.

However, it would be somewhat situational - remember the general principle of “no game actions with anything apart from the shield” and you’ll probably be on the right track.

1 Like

Id also suspect technically if anyone hits the weapon its going to count as a body hit just like any other carried gear not being actively used in that hand. (notaref!)

1 Like

I use a strap shield and it passes weapons check without any issues.