Tax?

I was browsing the Constitution recently and noticed the section on taxation. Anyone with land or property has agreed [part of citizenship] to pay 1Cr annually in tax.
Now, forgetting your characters opinion just for this discussion please, do you think it would be good game to have tax collected live on the field once a year ?

Its academic whether people believe it to be good game or not, I have a shiny pound coin that says Matt P won’t go for it.

Chasing people for debts in the field was tried in Maelstrom to extraordinarily limited success.

Trying to find a person in the field (who may not be in the field and will not be keen for you to find them) is not easy; and counting money taken in the field to ensure its right is not as fun as it sounds (and is covered by the Bourse)

Nope. Way too complicated for no feeling of gain. IC time is precious; I’d rather not have it spent on an opportunity to stupidly and deliberately break a law that’s on the very edge of the abstraction layer.

I’d match Dan’s shiny pound. PD’s response has generally been that taxes and cost-of-running expenses are taken out of the money before you get it - the Empire’s very on PAYE scheme - and actually imposing taxes on players is below the game layer.

[quote=“DanielW”]Its academic whether people believe it to be good game or not, I have a shiny pound coin that says Matt P won’t go for it.

Chasing people for debts in the field was tried in Maelstrom to extraordinarily limited success.

Trying to find a person in the field (who may not be in the field and will not be keen for you to find them) is not easy; and counting money taken in the field to ensure its right is not as fun as it sounds (and is covered by the Bourse)[/quote]

Yep. As someone quite heavily involved in the economics game at Maelstrom, it was painful, annoying, and not worth it, and oh crikey the admin required…

My income is in mana crystals. If the cash value of the mana crystal doubles, do I get half a mana crystal back?

size=50[/size]

You would do - but the administrative cost of processing your refund claim would be (quick mental calculation) half a mana crystal. :wink:

It was indeed tried at Maelstrom, and wasn’t really fun for anyone! I really like PD’s abstraction layer hard-line, gotta say. It solves so many things.

Interestingly, any attempt to raise additional taxes would presumably result in a reduction in the number of rings received by players in their event packs!

This would go down like a lead balloon… thankfully, such a thing is unconstitutional!

It is currently unconstitutional (i.e. no possible) to raise additional taxes.

The Imperial Dictionary defines “unconstitutional” as:

“Stuff PD did in other games that Matt P never wants to have to deal with again”

Including taxation, inheritance, overt divine intervention, hand-moderated downtimes, immortal PCs, and tech-trees.

:wink:

So we will need to find other excuses to threaten to break people’s kneecaps?

Loan people money at “reasonable rates of interest”?

[quote=“DanielW”]The Imperial Dictionary defines “unconstitutional” as:

“Stuff PD did in other games that Matt P never wants to have to deal with again”

Including taxation, inheritance, overt divine intervention, hand-moderated downtimes, immortal PCs, and tech-trees.

:wink:[/quote]

Forum needs like button.

It’s worth noting that Urizen is effectively taxed by the Urizen army mechanics.

So PD might want to look at that and whether it is promoting game.

[quote=“tristan”]It’s worth noting that Urizen is effectively taxed by the Urizen army mechanics.
[/quote]

Only if Urizen supply the mana, the “tax” is entirely voluntary.

And could be paid by parties other than Urizen?

(Saying that, someone suggested that another army - Highguard’s perhaps - could have a similar scenario with liao. The problem being that liao is so very scarce and in such high demand.)

This! Ditto the League’s army with the Mercenary keyword. It’s notable that not using that option just means your army functions as a normal, base army. Having the option to pay the additional mana/cash to activate arguably the best keyword buff in the game is not really the same as a tax!

[quote=“DanielW”]And could be paid by parties other than Urizen?

(Saying that, someone suggested that another army - Highguard’s perhaps - could have a similar scenario with liao. The problem being that liao is so very scarce and in such high demand.)[/quote]

Looking at the background, the thing that’d be physrepping is currently an explanation for why the Granite Pillar is Disciplined. :slight_smile:

[quote=“Freya”]

This! Ditto the League’s army with the Mercenary keyword. It’s notable that not using that option just means your army functions as a normal, base army. Having the option to pay the additional mana/cash to activate arguably the best keyword buff in the game is not really the same as a tax![/quote]

It’s certainly a good keyword from a raw power perspective, but it’s a rather uninteresting way for the nation to spend just under a tenth of our mana supplies.

Getting outside parties to contribute might be an interesting challenge for someone :slight_smile: