Time keeping in game

Is it possible to know what the time is in game? Are there IC clocks and stuff? How would I know how long to perform a ritual for or brew a potion for?
Just some questions from a complete noob who knows basically nothing…
Thanks

1 Like

IC clockwork exists. There are IC clocks on the senate wall, in the civil Service hub definitely, and there may be clocks put up elsewhere round site.

Many people have a pocket watch, ring watch or watch on a necklace which are considered IC. (Try clare’s accessories beforehand, but some are usually on sale on site).

If you’re looking at timing rituals (either 2 mins or 10 mins) a sand timer is useful. Tiger had some with the right numbers at one point.
Healing times of 10, 30 or 120 secs easiest to either count in your head, or find an IC way to ask your patient to do it.

Fit bits and similar are OOC but can be hidden beneath vambraces, or wrist straps for discrete checking. Please don’t get your phone out though!

9 Likes

Thank you so much, this was really helpful :slight_smile:

Even if all you have is an obviously OOC watch, you can usually keep it in a pouch and just glace at it in a discrete fashion. In practice some nations have IC time-pieces and some don’t - in the later case the ‘watch in a bag’ trick will do you fine.

2 Likes

I do have a pocket watch but it might be too Victorian…

Its probably fine, It wont be out much and not for long.

Definitive guidance is on the wiki: https://www.profounddecisions.co.uk/empire-wiki/Technology#Clocks.2C_Clockwork.2C_and_Time

2 Likes

For curiosity’s sake, are phone-based alarm clocks allowed to a degree?
I have trouble with early mornings due to health reasons so I was wondering if they are allowed/if there is any other system of early-rising assistance? Eg: Another character banging pots and pans at some godforsaken hour so you don’t miss breakfast/something important? XD

B :crossed_swords:

Time in doesn’t start until 8 or 9 (can’t exactly remember) this means that until then, you can wander about in t-shirts and trainers and use anything from the real world. You can have breakfast both in character and out of character. Usually there is a battle in the morning and there may be a few important personal stuff but a lot of the interesting stuff happens in the evenings.

2 Likes

Ah right, fantastic.
I like waking up early for things like this so I don’t miss stuff and can get the most out of my day so to hear that I can still keep my alarm clock is brilliant, cheers :slight_smile:

1 Like

Time in is 10am, so an alarm clock before then is okay (although try not to be too early or loud if you can, noise travels very far through canvas).

3 Likes

Usual alarm sound is the Castlevania Stage 3 Theme so… yeah, I’ll try to keep the volume down or switch it to something more natural since I’m hopefully gonna be sharing a tent XDD

3 Likes

A small and subtle watch is also cheerfully overlooked. Some vendors sell large rings incorporating tiny watches under “gem” covers.

No-one will care if you use your phone for an alarm before time-in (or even to signal time-in), although see the advice about volume above.

Pulling your phone out to check the time DURING time-in will likely get you sighed at…

3 Likes