Trading questions

Hello everyone,

I will be coming to the next empire event, it will be my first time LARPing.

I want to set up a trade stall, I want to sell Rings and other jewellery from “foreign lands” and also cakes and snacks.

Can I sell the jewellery for IC money and real money?

How do I set up a stall? Do I need to bring a open tent and table or can I hire these?

Where can I set up trade?

I hope you can help.

Thanks
Ben

Unless you are peddling your wares on the go; you’ll want to set up in your own Nation’s camp (unless you broker an agreement with one of the player run establishments) There’s no “open market” so to speak where you pitch. If you faff about in the Marcher forums/FB page you will find lots of organisation for where tents and services get set up.

I recommend trading for IC, and keeping OC in OC; but some do request barbarian coins/foreign coin for wares. Watch out for Vigilance priests.

So, Ferrero: How do you go about selling your chocolate balls? (Apart from the posters) Do you have a tent or stall set up to sell them from? Can you hire awning or other bits for a stall?

Asking because I’m also interested in selling - in this case confectionery.

May want to check but if your selling for real money you may need a traders permit of some kind

Probably worth emailing PD and checking just in case

I don’t know what the rules are specifically for Empire, but if you are happy to trade from your own IC tent space or otherwise peddle wares for IC or OOC money I do not believe there is any specific requirement. Traders who want a pitch in the trader area have traditionally needed to apply for it, and indeed at present the wiki indicates that there are no free spaces for this, and potentially quite a waiting list.

I can’t find any mention of non-pitched official traders on the wiki at the moment but I do recall that they were specifically permitted at Maelstrom.

For non-food items you can freely trade as a peddler and charge IC money, OC money or a mix of both.

For any consumable (food or drink) you can charge IC but are forbidden from taking any OC money at all. Tips are a grey area and best avoided.

If you were taking orders to be made in advance you could charge OC for them, but cost negotians and payment should be done outside of the field as much as possible.

It’s really on the players to bring things to trade from.

Unfortunately, my balls are in huge demand, so I don’t bother with a stall or anything. People either come to me, or I generally just turn up at any organised thing at Anvil (dancing, parties, festivals, competitions) with a tray or two. I used to try walking around Anvil but the problem is I am based in the League, and people have a LOT of money; so even when I leave with a tray of 50 I don’t make it out of my own nation before I am spent.

There are a few sweet shops on the field; generally it’s just a little tent, constantly being visited by excitable children of all nations. And ages. There are a few who walk around with a wooden tray strapped around their neck, and they sell exceptionally well (start at Brass Coast, then go to League; you will only have money left)

If you want to make confectionary your overall “thing”, then get yourself a little canvas In Character suitable tent, with a little awning, and watch the rings flow in!

Thanks for the info guys!

Look for me at the event! I will have fresh cakes and snacks! I will also be selling rare jewellery from as far as Jarm!

[quote=“Ferrero”]It’s really on the players to bring things to trade from.

Unfortunately, my balls are in huge demand, so I don’t bother with a stall or anything. People either come to me, or I generally just turn up at any organised thing at Anvil (dancing, parties, festivals, competitions) with a tray or two. I used to try walking around Anvil but the problem is I am based in the League, and people have a LOT of money; so even when I leave with a tray of 50 I don’t make it out of my own nation before I am spent.

There are a few sweet shops on the field; generally it’s just a little tent, constantly being visited by excitable children of all nations. And ages. There are a few who walk around with a wooden tray strapped around their neck, and they sell exceptionally well (start at Brass Coast, then go to League; you will only have money left)

If you want to make confectionary your overall “thing”, then get yourself a little canvas In Character suitable tent, with a little awning, and watch the rings flow in![/quote]

Wow, thanks for the reply - looks like I picked the right field to go for :smiley:

Unfortunately? LOL There’s a unique complaint if ever I saw one :wink:

We ran a 3 hour charity bake sale, figuring everything that didn’t sell we’d keep selling over the weekend (for us). Sadly we were a little too prosperous, we sold out of everything during the charity sale!

If you have edibles and a decent way of marketing, they will sell. :slight_smile: