Trauma possible expansion?

Sorry if this is the wrong place to suggest this, admin feel free to move if so.
I was wondering if there is a possablitiy to add to those that have gone past their death grace time by adding critical trauma card that “X” amount of physicans have to treat said person for “Y” time, carried out in the hospital. Then the cards could be opened, they would have; mostly death my some foul means the surgeons can’t save you, fewer still would have they are critical and will resceve another card after more treatment, and very very rare they are saved! Just an idea to add drama and roleplay to the hospital and dying.

It’s very deliberate that there’s absolutely no way to save a character after they’ve gone terminal. At terminal, you are dead. You are gone, you are pining for the fjords, etc. In any other system, you would just be outright dead at this point, bled out.

The reason terminal exists is to provide you with the opportunity to have a heartwrenching funeral and die with your friends around you - not to give you one last slight chance to survive nonetheless.

In the old plot guidelines they specified that there is never any way in the game of bring someone back who has become Terminal.

One reason is that they want people to be Terminal so they can have an awesome death scene amoungst weeping friends as they utter their last few words but they never wanted anyone to hang on because there was a chance (no matter how slim) of them being saved.

profounddecisions.co.uk/empi … ath_Echoes lets you do kinda awesome stuff whilst Terminal but still means you die.

Terminal is to grant people the opportunity to traumatise their friends further by playing an unsaveable character and I think it’s a great innovation.

The expansion of traumatic wounds that I would like to see - thinking specifically of traumatic wounds from ritual failures here - is things that are rapidly terminal untreated. The kind of thing where you get one of them and get a nice little A&E drama - and then a mag 100 ritual explodes and you suddenly need a full-on team of exorcists in NBC gear and somebody’s probably going to die.

Also, Realm specific trauma (which can then be used for seasonal traumatic effects from the Gate). I’d like to see people come back late through the portal in Winter with late-stage frostbite, or in Spring COVERED IN BEES, or at night with a slowly melting face. I’d like to see Day rituals fail and have people crawling around gasping about how the whole world is full of stars and can’t you see how beautiful.

I’d like to see situations where if people have done something clearly labelled as terminally stupid with magic, then it’s not a question of ‘fetch a phsyick, you’ll be fine in four hours’ but more of ‘OK, it’s technically possible to save all of you, but in practice we might get there too late for some’.

[quote=“Iulian”]
Also, Realm specific trauma (which can then be used for seasonal traumatic effects from the Gate). I’d like to see people come back late through the portal in Winter with late-stage frostbite, or in Spring COVERED IN BEES, or at night with a slowly melting face.[/quote]

But remember that the Realms’ seasonal connections are allegorical, not literal. I’d prefer the Gate to have its own set of magical traumatic wounds (maybe it already does?) - I can imagine a whole bunch which fall into the category of “Star Trek transporter malfunction” amongst other things. Melty-face and frostbite/hypothermia are both very reasonable in general (the latter reminds me of early Stargate episodes when they still covered actors in frost after coming out of the gate), you might also get stuff like “your gear is now stuck to you” or “your physical form is unstable and is beginning to disintegrate”.

No, I’m afraid not. There is no way to save someone who is TERMINAL and this is quite intentional. A TERMINAL character is basically dead, they just haven’t stopped moving around (with help) and talking (in agonised gasps) just yet. It’s included to allow people to have a chance at closure of their character and to create good RP moments; its not a threshold to allow you to cheat death.

Nothing in the game will ever allow you to continue playing your character after you become TERMINAL (although there is an Eternal who collects TERMINAL people, you don’t get to play your character again - it’s more like going into the West with the elves than being saved from death)

But instead of elves, they’re White Walkers from A Song of Ice and Fire.

[quote=“Dre”]

[quote=“Iulian”]
Also, Realm specific trauma (which can then be used for seasonal traumatic effects from the Gate). I’d like to see people come back late through the portal in Winter with late-stage frostbite, or in Spring COVERED IN BEES, or at night with a slowly melting face.[/quote]

But remember that the Realms’ seasonal connections are allegorical, not literal. I’d prefer the Gate to have its own set of magical traumatic wounds (maybe it already does?) - I can imagine a whole bunch which fall into the category of “Star Trek transporter malfunction” amongst other things. Melty-face and frostbite/hypothermia are both very reasonable in general (the latter reminds me of early Stargate episodes when they still covered actors in frost after coming out of the gate), you might also get stuff like “your gear is now stuck to you” or “your physical form is unstable and is beginning to disintegrate”.[/quote]

I like your idea a lot.

[quote=“Ergot”]Sorry if this is the wrong place to suggest this, admin feel free to move if so.
I was wondering if there is a possablitiy to add to those that have gone past their death grace time by adding critical trauma card that “X” amount of physicans have to treat said person for “Y” time, carried out in the hospital. Then the cards could be opened, they would have; mostly death my some foul means the surgeons can’t save you, fewer still would have they are critical and will resceve another card after more treatment, and very very rare they are saved! Just an idea to add drama and roleplay to the hospital and dying.[/quote]

I’m not convinced that there is any justification for this; the Terminal rules are clear and, in my view, entirely appropriate.

The world of Empire outside (and sometimes even inside) the Sentinel Gate is brutal and dangerous, exactly as it should be. People *should * die on the field of battle, or in assassinations, or struck down by magical infestations. Any chance of being saved beyond Terminal simply dilutes the roleplay potency of Terminal.

I believe it does; certainly delaying coming through the gate is a sure way to pick up Magical Traumatic Wounds, and a lot of them appear to be unique to the Gate (although it’s still a little too early to tell).