Urizen lamps

Hi. I’ve noticed that some of your tents have weird glowy lights around them, e.g. that blue globe thing someone hung up. What is the IC explanation for these?

They’re lightstones, they’re a thing in Urizen. I’m charging up the leisure batteries as we speak.

They are, you’ll be staggered to hear, magic. That’s it - they’re little magical glowing stones, presumably charged up with the mana equivalent of nutty slack.

Magical glow stones, strictly speaking candles and naked flame are off brief in Urizen, although you can call them charmingly rustic.

The giant mana ball is ours, it’s just a giant glowstone no matter how much we joke that it’s the physrep for the coven mana stores.

Well, Urizen does use braziers and flame - it’s light in general that’s important thematically to Urizen - but yes, the nation produces magical light-stones for illumination. From the Urizen brief: “The heliopticon is an example of the Urizen obsession with light, while the magical lightstones they invented are another.”

In other words, no, we’re not draping our tents in off-brief electrics, they’re legitimately IC :stuck_out_tongue: - I’m not saying you were implying that, just thought it worth mentioning because we’ve had people vandalise the lights before. Obviously they didn’t exactly hang around to tell us who they were or why they were doing it, but at my most charitable I would guess they were idiots who hadn’t bothered to check the ICness of said lights and had just decided they were offensively OC and took matters into their own hands (when less charitable, I assume their shitty behaviour as vandals occurred because that’s just the kind of people they are).

The lights in the Urizen camp are no different from the street lighting around the Senate and the Tavern, all run on Urzien magic glow stones :slight_smile:

They were invented in Urizen but they are common throughout the Empire.
(I’m sure I remember reading that on the wiki, but I couldn’t find it mentioned just now… quite a few hits for “glowstone” and “lightstone” though.)

Magic in the Empire is a common tool. It’s normal to enhance your buissiness, travel by magic, scry, locate, heal and our armies are commonly boosted as they go to war. Urizen have invented glow stones so any well off character could use them. It’s just a matter of personal taste, limited by your egregore bond.

OOC Light is safter than darkness, and LED’s are safer than flames.

From Mistress of the Glass Parador
"The luxurious Glass Parador itself is centrally located, and constructed of beautiful white marble columns, gorgeous stained glass windows and delicate lanterns lit by fine quality glowstones imported from Urizen. "

Yes, they are definitely a thing and I think could do with being noted somewhere where everyone can see. I keep meaning to sort out a “glowstone lamp” for at night.

[quote=“Canashir”]They were invented in Urizen but they are common throughout the Empire.
(I’m sure I remember reading that on the wiki, but I couldn’t find it mentioned just now… quite a few hits for “glowstone” and “lightstone” though.)[/quote]

I think that’s on the wiki as well - lightstones are a ‘‘thing’’ - they’re just much more common in Urizen than anywhere else. As someone has already said the streetlights are large lightstones. As long as your light looks IC, you can make all sorts of things out of them in all sorts of sizes.