Wake up calls

With battles mostly being morning affairs on quite a tight timescale, do any nations have coherent plans for how to get their people to them on time?

If someone does not want to go on the field, I have no problem with that, but I would hate for them to miss their chance by bad luck or just because they did not get the information. The reason for broaching the subject is largely because I am never sure where other people would draw the line between ‘helpful’ and ‘pestering’.

Up until now my main strategy has been to take a tour of the camp in the time running up to the musters to remind people, but this is obviously inefficient and missing some people (especially if it is the monster slot and they have not gone on to the field by that stage). EDIT: oh, and to have told the various group captains the times for monstering and battles as soon as we know them (kinda thought of that as a given).

I have been turning over various systems in my mind for how to do it better, but don’t want people to feel like they are having their events ruined by nagging. How does everyone else do it? And is it working as well as you would like?

Surprisingly, my plan to take the Marches Wassailers outside a straggler’s tent was not carried through. A pity.

Bacon sarnies. Turn up late and miss out. Works for Highguard. :smiley:

Maybe a clock tower with a bell? (or just a bell by itself)

A horn. A really massive, massive horn.

Since most people have already attuned themselves to a state of “Ah, that’s just my alarm, it can be ignored”, the shock value of a gargantuan baritone horn in the morning could carry a lot of weight when it comes to getting people the fuck out of bed.

I’ve already attempted to bribe an Accordian player into waking my landlord up, but I too fell prey to not waking up in time to pay him to get the job done.

either the smell of food or the sound of others talking will do the trick.

I’ll be bringing a horn. The next trick is to get me out of bed!

Are we serious about horns?

Personally I’d not want to use a horn as it is something of an AoE effect and some folks might get justifiably annoyed if they weren’t fighting or had kids who were sleeping.

One common issue I see is that the battles tend to be morning affairs and many people sleep or get ready on the OC field and I have no idea where to find them- you don’t know whether they are coming to the battle or not until they either arrive at muster or fail to turn up (by which time it is probably too late and I don’t know where to look anyway).
Asking people where they are camped so I can find them seems like a practical solution- at the very least if I had one contact for each group who in turn knew where to find their own people, that would allow me to do a quick tour when I get up, then get my own breakfast and put armour on.

But how many people would think this was overly intrusive?

A more organised approach (involving less legwork for me) would be to arrange that I’d be at a specific point for breakfast so each group could send someone to report in, confirming that their people are up and on the move. Then all I’d need to do is chase groups which haven’t surfaced.

Simple!

[ul]1) Identify everyone who should be attending the battle.[/ul]
[ul]2) Acquire a litter of Alsatian puppies (d’awwww, look at how cute they are).[/ul]
[ul]3) Sneak into the homes of all persons on the list from (1) and steal an article of clothing (n.b. this is totally not creepy).[/ul]
[ul]4) Train the puppies to track down the scent associated with the articles of clothing, and to savagely attack the bearer of said scent.[/ul]
[ul]5) At the muster time, identify individuals who are missing… RELEASE THE HOUNDS![/ul]
[ul]6) Watch as the stragglers are bodily dragged from their tents to attend the muster. Maniacal laughter is a recommended addition (n.b. if the Alsatians are still puppies this stage of the operation may be relatively ineffective, but will be exceedingly cute d’awwwww).[/ul]
[ul]7) Go quietly with the nice police officer.[/ul]

Sorted!

How about finding out the times IC and then, you know, waking up? If waking up is seriously an issue for you then please let me know how you get yourselves up for work?

I’ve managed to make every battle for the last ten years + of LARP without needing anything more than the shit bag that is daylight waking my up from my hangover like a chuffing cockerel screeching in my face.

Love and hugs.

While I’m frankly jealous of your internal clock, this isn’t very helpful.
Some people are up and busy well before the battles start, get distracted by one of the many things Anvil has to offer and only realise that the battle has started when /that/ roar of 400 Barbarians sounds off… and by that point finding your friends on the battlefield is a daunting task.

This is more about IC timekeeping ideas and making sure people aren’t missing out on fun than handling a hangover.

Ring watches, pocket watches, and pendants with watches hidden in them look IC, but don’t have any alarm type functions,
Mobile phones are definitely OC & immersion breaking.

Some form of clock tower, town cryer or similar might be too over the top and have the possibility of upsetting small children, although it would cover the whole of Anvil,

[quote=“syndathim”]How about finding out the times IC and then, you know, waking up? If waking up is seriously an issue for you then please let me know how you get yourselves up for work?

I’ve managed to make every battle for the last ten years + of LARP without needing anything more than the shit bag that is daylight waking my up from my hangover like a chuffing cockerel screeching in my face.

Love and hugs.[/quote]

How do I get up for work? I don’t.

I justify turning up late by the fact that I never leave on time either.

Some people simply have an easier time getting up than others. Though I agree, there’s really no excuse if there’s a set time you have to be around for. My problem at previous events has been, other than dodgy rumours of war going around the camp, I have no idea where to find this nugget of information.

There has to be a semi-IC way of putting it in the Hub or the Tavern where everyone can see it, surely? Even a sign with “Significant times!” that simply lists the battles would blend in sufficiently without causing too much of an existential crisis.

That’s a really good suggestion!
How about putting the times on the Generals notice board in the Hub? Along with any times when certain nations are due to ‘go on patrol’

First thing I’d say is you probably need to delegate it down to some deputies, possibly pick someone each in the bigger groups to do some of the legwork for you in that group.

Highguard had some success with a small message board in the center of camp during setup and we used it for general messages during the event last time. If you could get hold of a blackboard in a prominent position and put the muster times for each day up that might help. Anyone else tried this and did it work?

Noise wise Highguard have a bell we should make use of more often, so I’m going to try and get it run to welcome the day in a bit more next year. This also may require some delegation.

Yeah my comments were not that constructive. I apologise.

A notice board outside th e tavern would help - obviously worded IC so a monster muster could be reworded to ‘hunting trip’ etc.

i’m reminded of the old "knocker-upper’ job. Pay someone a small amount of money to go round and wake everyone, who needs to get, up. Some kids would love this job surely?

Using puppies would cost more.