Wand Phys-Reps

A friend of mine is going to be playing a non-com mage and my character will be giving her a crafted wand. Does she need a combat safe phys-rep for it, or can she use a non-combat safe prop?

If she’s not going to hit anyone with it there is no need for it to be combat safe.

Implements must be safe phys-reps.

profounddecisions.co.uk/empi … view#Wands

Hadn’t clocked that :blush: Apologies.

Suspect that the intention is in respect of the use of implements in respect of offensive spells, however, it is indeed written as a blanket statement. Personally I’d raise it with PD in that case as, I’m pretty sure, this has been asked before and had the (official) answer that if it isn’t used to hit somebody it need not be weapon safe. Would be more in line with PD’s common sense approach to these things. I may, of course, be proved wrong.

It’s a subtle rules issue, but a mage implement must be a weapon-safe phys-rep - but a mage implement is the item that you use to cast offensive magical spells in combat… ergo it has to be weapon-safe. Technically if you are not using an item to cast an offensive spell in combat, then you could read the rules such that you’re just using a prop - and obviously props don’t have to be combat-safe.

The tricky bit would be whether you can put a ribbon on it…

Realistically though - email the rules team.

Matt, that’s exactly the grey area that I hit. I will email the rules team.

My understanding of the rules is that anything at all weaponlike going onto the battlefield needs to be a combat-safe physrep, which would mean that any crafted want in battle needs to be weapon-safe. That knocks the vast majority of the cases for crafted wands into “you’re gonna need a weapon-safe physrep for that one;” the only exceptions I can think of are some fairly niche uses for some of the healing ones, and the Seer’s Probe and Scrivener’s Bloodmark (both of which have obvious uses on the main Anvil field).

That’s assuming I’m right, which is occasionally not the best plan. :slight_smile:

Real weapons, including re-enactment weapons which are blunt, are banned from the field entirely. I would suggest that wooden mage-implements should probably be covered by the same ban. Partially for the obvious safety reasons and partially because putting a real weapon next to a LARP safe one highlights the fact that LARP weapons always look like fat lumps of plastic.

The relevant section to note is this, in particular, “All weapons and implements taken onto a battlefield must have been passed by a weapon checker. You cannot use a wooden staff as a mage staff, or a wooden stick as a wand on a battlefield, even if you do not intend to hit anyone with it.”

This implies to me that as long as you are never going to take your implement physrep onto a battlefield, quest, or similar such area, you can use a non-combat prop as an implement physrep. Of course, should you become involved in combat on Anvil, you also couldn’t use this prop for defense or offense.

Tea’s link from above, in particular.

[quote]Overview
All weapons, bows, arrows and shields must be checked by a member of the Profound Decisions weapon checking team before they are used at our events.[/quote]

Any weapon in an IC area must have passed a weapons check. The field just gets an extra check because of the expected heavy usage in battle.

regardless of the call, from experience, I would recommend saving yourself the stress and making it combat safe. I’ve used wands in systems with no intent of using them in combat, but the simple fact is you have a solid bit of pointy wood in your hand that you may end up pulling out whilst other people are fighting… which leads to the risk someone may end up with it stuck up their nose.

[quote=“Arkat”]Tea’s link from above, in particular.

[quote]Overview
All weapons, bows, arrows and shields must be checked by a member of the Profound Decisions weapon checking team before they are used at our events.[/quote]

Any weapon in an IC area must have passed a weapons check. The field just gets an extra check because of the expected heavy usage in battle.[/quote]

I don’t think it follows from that that you can’t have a noncombat prop wand on the Anvil field. Obviously you can’t use a non-weapon-safe implement physrep in a scuffle in Anvil, but people are allowed wooden walking sticks - where’s the line between walking stick (allowed) and noncombat wand, rod or staff? This is particularly relevant for the ritual implements like the Choleric Staff; a completely noncombat player may well want one of those, and might have a really cool non-weapon-safe physrep for it.

Obviously the answer to the whole question is “ask a ref”, but this suggests an edge-case that I find interesting.

If you, as a non-combatant mage, have a implement, you might not intend to use it. However, I, hypothetically playing a combatant mage, might. There are in theory situations where I might want to steal your implement and then use it to cast a combat spell, but without having the time to fetch a weapon-safe physrep to substitute for it. The same thing will never be an issue with a walking stick, which can never be used in combat by anyone.

I could totally see a walking stick being used in combat. Pretty much everything vaguely stick-like that was weapon safe got swung during the Marches Football Match…

But the difference between a non-weapon prop-only wand and a combat safe implement should be bleedin’ obvious.

If somone’s not smart enough to figure out the difference, they are going to be dangerous on the field no matter what they are armed with.

Actual theft: To be an issue this requires,
a) The item not having been used that day
b) Being in a situation where you have the previous owner at your mercy and expect to find a ref, bind the item to you, cast a combat spell and then get to God in 30 minutes. Which I’d consider highly unlikely in itself, before it being one of the few appropriate items on the field without a weapon safe phys-rep.

Not actually stealing: Now this is more likely to be something of an issue, but still if you are playing a combat mage you probably already have a weapon safe physrep that you can use for hitting. It needs to be an item that is portentially useful for hitting things, but not expressly designed for such and the only implements I can see falling into this category are the ones that increase mana, and it doesn’t seem that absurd to declare IC that an item isn’t sturdy enough to take into combat

[quote=“Hob”]I could totally see a walking stick being used in combat. Pretty much everything vaguely stick-like that was weapon safe got swung during the Marches Football Match…

But the difference between a non-weapon prop-only wand and a combat safe implement should be bleedin’ obvious.

If somone’s not smart enough to figure out the difference, they are going to be dangerous on the field no matter what they are armed with.[/quote]

This. Just so much this.

Do you need to bind a non-magical wand/rod to yourself to cast an offensive spell through it or to hit someone with it?

I don’t see anything In the Rules that even implies that might be true.

[quote=“Jason”]Do you need to bind a non-magical wand/rod to yourself to cast an offensive spell through it or to hit someone with it?

I don’t see anything In the Rules that even implies that might be true.[/quote]

Nope. Binding is only relevant to artisan-crafted items.

Here is the official response I received.

[quote]This is fine, with a few provisos:

1. The wand cannot be used as a weapon in any way. This includes attempting to parry and/or ward off a potential attacker.
  2. Under no circumstances can the wand be taken on any Battle, Skirmish, Quest, or any other similar situation off the main field, where combat is more likely. That applies even if it’s going to be kept in a pouch or similar.

Personally, I’d prefer that you use a Latex physrep, however I am prepared to allow a non-larp safe physrep for a characcter who intends to never be near a combat situation.[/quote]

So, does that mean that e.g. one has an Acolyte’s Mecry wand bonded to you, which grants you access to a spell, and the wand physrep is a wooden stick that you keep in your jacket and never take out, that you can’t go through the Sentinel Gate with it?