What arms do you carry in Anvil?

I know that Anvil is something of a summit of peace and prosperity and thusly no one should need arms off the battlefield; equally however I know that not everyone got that memo OR out right play characters that do not subscribe to this so my question is…

What’s your around town weapon?

As a new player I only have a 34" war axe and a 20" round sheild not really practical for going down to the shops so any advice?

1 Like

As you said carrying a weapon is super not necessary, but if your character feels the need to go armed, pick up a dagger at the event. They’re small and cheap, and still useful in a pinch

1 Like

I might take a dagger out on me as part of my general, “things that are on my belt” equipment.

As my last character I sometimes wore my Mage armour and carried my rod around as that meant I was ready for last minute skirmishes. But also because gesturing with my Mage Rod was very much part of the character :slight_smile:.

3 Likes

I was just looking at daggers but as I have purchased most of my kit from Epic Armouries I think I’ll save this last one for the traders at E3; from what I am being told the traders are part of the Empire experience and missing out will diminish the whole thing… can’t have that!

1 Like

I am making a deliberate statement by doing so, but my character is typically (visibly) carrying on his belt two (currently magical) machetes and two long knives.

He leaves the crossbow and associated bolts in his tent, though.

1 Like

I play a thorn so being ready to fight at any time is kind of our thing. SubsequentlyThiers two seaxes that spend my entire event on my belt. I’ve yet to use them (in in anvil) but I would feel naked without them.

And then thiers the bloody artifact spear I’ve been bound to. Doesn’t leave my side. Fills me with wierd Pride aura’s. Stupid Pride stick.

Having said that if I wasn’t sworn to carry around a 5 foot spear I’d probably have one of my broad sword. Just in case.

3 Likes

There are added reasons for magicians to carry arms:

• You can swift cast a healing or purifying spell if someone happens to need one. But it needs an implement to cast with.
  • 0-damage REPELs, ENTANGLES and PARALYSES have been something of a political/trolling weapon.
  • The implement might also be your ritual staff.
  • Carrying a staff instantly makes you look like a Big Damn Wizard.

My current character wears mage armour because it looks cool and because he has this constant feeling someone’s going to bother him with the words “come quickly, there is trouble afoot”. But he’s a Vigilance priest so that’s kinda par for the course. Back when Hero was 1 point he had that, cleave and a 24" sword, just for ruining the day and kneecaps of fugitives and cultists.

My old character hauled his custom 7’ staff around so his long-suffering group could spot where he was.

My current character picks up a mage staff either because he’s expecting some sort of magical trouble, he wants to signal WIZARD at high volume, or because he wants a prop to lounge around in a serpentine manner.

3 Likes

For the last six years max has never carried a weapon unless he has been actively about to go through the gate.

1 Like

I have a small coreless knife that sits in a holder on my belt. I tend to take my long dagger with me if I’m meeting some dodgy/unfamiliar folks or going to the Orc camp. And I usually walk around with my mage staff as well (because, yes, it makes me feel like a Big Damn Wizard).

1 Like

My previous character was a priest of Vigilance (and later Cardinal of Vigilance) and so made a point of carrying a sword at all times. Because Vigilance.

My current character is a mage and so walks around with a big staff, but that’s more a symbol of being a mage as opposed to a weapon. He also carries 2 knives and a wand, because he’s Unconquered.

1 Like

The only time I wear a weapon is to visit the Imperial Orcs (where I wear my rod, wand, and a coreless throwing knife that is actually my physick scalpel)… otherwise, no, I’m unarmed. We use our hands and voices to cast our rituals, so the implements aren’t required for that.

1 Like

Generally a dagger, as it a characterful thing for someone from a large League city to have some form of shank at any given time. Plus it is the largest weapon that I really want to carry on public transport as someone who doesn’t do battles.

1 Like

My current character is usually carrying his mage rod, which does an excellent impersonation of a walking cane. My previous character was trying to wear his sword at all times, as he thought it fitting for a Lord of Dawn to ALWAYS be armed…

2 Likes

I’m a bravo, so I have a sword, a dagger on my belt, a throwing knife (technically I use it as a scalpel) and a second dagger in my boot.

Yes, that is my day-to-day carry…

1 Like

It’s part of our Citadel’s regulations that our Sentinels be armed at all times whilst outside the Citadel tent at Anvil, or the tents of allied Citadels and Spires. I roll around with a 42" sword and a dagger on my belt. Never once had to fight someone in Anvil, it’s more about the style!

1 Like

When I was playing a battlemage, I had quite a short rod that I used to always carry around with me. By “short rod”, I mean I had thought of it like a wand but it was 24" long so strictly fitted into the Rod weapon category. As far as I could ever find, the only rules implication was for magic items - it was a valid physrep for a Rod but not a Wand. Otherwise both rods and wands are implements and have the same skill requirements.

I’ve never played a character whose primary role was as a warrior - my physick didn’t carry any weapons or armour unless he was going on the battlefield. My artisan and priest characters never had any at all and didn’t feel underequipped walking about Anvil.

1 Like

The main thing here, as said by several others already is that there is no need to carry any weapons around anvil. There are no random monster attacks like in other systems and in the very unlikely event that you get attacked by another player it’ll be your voice not your weapon that saves you.

So with that in mind it comes down to how your character would see themselves armed in non-combat situations.

I play in a group of highborn Cataphracts. We see that as a version of a knight so we always carry a sword - firstly because IC we see it is a status symbol, and secondly OOC we want to show off our sword belts and scabbards.

Conversely we make play out of looking down on uncouth provincial thugs swanning around our beloved Anvil carrying pole arms and wearing armour.

Don’t worry about what you think you might need to carry, but more what your character wants to carry and their motivation for doing so.

If that makes sense.

T

3 Likes

I briefly carried an axe on my person for one event as my current character, on a “better to have it and not need it” basis and because it made sense that a modest wood axe would be something they’d have that they might conceivably appropriate as a weapon.

It was so irritatingly cumbersome that I ended up hating it and I quickly realized that I didn’t want to do combat anyway. Never carried a weapon since.

2 Likes

On the other hand, you can receive IC threats or rumours that you may be in danger. In fact, last year a few of us were specifically told not to walk alone in Anvil and to stay armed.I am 99% sure it was plot rather than actual danger, but it was fun to stick with your comrades out of collective paranoia.

2 Likes

Right now I carry no weapons and it feels weird, when I played an Urizen sentinel battle mage I always carried at least a rod and dagger, just in case.

When I played a navaar thorn I carried a 2 handed axe everywhere, but that character was considered a bit psycho even by other navarr.

That said it proved worth it when he was wandering past the hospital and someone ran towards him chased by shouts of “stop that runner”. Anvil might be safe, but You never know when weaponry might prove useful. :wink:

1 Like