And now, oh new players, many of you have had a go at the first Empire event of 2022.
Year 8, Event 1, The Winter Wind.
(why yes, I made the name up. Better ideas happily recieved)
For those waiting til E2 to get started, for other new players, to all of you with one event under your belt…
…what have you learned?
What have you worked out about the game and the parts of it?
What skills will you be changing or keeping?
What do you consider to be the best bits of the event?
What mistakes did you make, in camping or in play, that you can avoid next time?
Did you bring enough warm socks?
I learnt that if you play in Urizen, but have plot in Navarr or Dawn you will do a lot of walking back and forth…and learn to despise that hill into the Navarri camp.
Possibly need to bring more warm base layers for E4. But that durned wind made everything worse, as when it was still it was quite warm.
Think that blister plasters need to go into my group OC pack
I learnt that my camping mattress, despite my attempts at repair, is no good and I will have to replace it. Booo.
I’ve learnt that sometimes you just have to change nations to find the game that you and your character want to play… and that that’s okay.
I have learned that separating my own behaviour from my character’s is harder than I thought! Definitely requires some fine-tuning to get the right balance of “me-being-nice-to-everyone” and “my-character-having-contentious-opinions”.
On an OC note: I focused so hard on having enough warm socks, I could have done with more warm blankets.
Bring moisturiser and use it! Wind burn makes your skin just as peely as sunburn, and lots of hand gel cracks your nails!
Just walking up to people and saying “do you have a job I can do?” is a great way to have fun. And achy feet. And fun.
And that many long-standing players are awesomely welcoming to newbies.
(Does new to a nation count?)
Fishing bed-chairs are better for the sloping ground than sleeping on the ground or in a camp bed that doesn’t lay horizontal on a slope. Many layers below one is key to staying warm during sleep.
Red lights for reading and writing works better than a white light.
Push through the hesitation and say, ‘Yes’ (or ‘No’). One’s ambitions don’t always have to be big plot Ambitions to still be ambitious.
Make sure one drinks enough water; dehydration makes walking, sleeping, thinking, and doing, extra challenging.
- It’s theoretically possible to cast Call Winged Messenger when the message hasn’t been prepared during downtime, but practically impossible
- Especially when you’re asked to do it Sunday morning
- And if you’re trying to do the admin for that and Scales of Ephisis, two hours before time-out, you’re going to spend a lot of time in God
- Preparing a OC pamphlet on what someone will need to do if they want to get Call Winged Messenger cast during an event would be big and clever
(I managed to get Scales cast, but not CWM)
- Carting something heavy up to a national camp and then trying to find the person you’re delivering it to is a bad idea. Better to locate them first and arrange a time for delivery or collection