What's the point of Hallowings?

I haven’t really looked at the rules for hallowings since they were overhauled. However, after a recent re-read, I’m starting to wonder what the point of Hallowings are now that they don’t provide spiritual strength for the purposes of overcoming malign effects.

I realise you get a fun roleplaying effect off them, but is there something I’m missing besides that?

Anointing and consecration used to also have no game mechanical effects.

1 Like

Yes they do, anointings create personal auras, consecration creates location auras; both can be uses as a source of spiritual strength for resisting negative roleplaying effects.

You get to name the item you Hallow, which is pretty awesome in itself.

Otherwise, there’s no common mechanical effect - but then, you could make the same argument about Testimony.

Or even positive ones! :wink:

2 Likes

Because they’re cool :slight_smile: Also they’re fun to add to favours if your dawnish :smiley:. They’re really another tool in your arsenal as a priest for pastoral work, if someone has a problem and you have the right hallow to help them with it you can use it on something of theirs and they’ll have that pick me up for a whole year if they need it.

5 Likes

Hallow is clearly far better than anointing, it lasts a year, and since it doesn’t counter roleplaying effects that means you get to have even more fun with roleplaying effects. Rather than spoiling your fun because your character can now power through the paranoia aura they are exposed to, and it’s probably what they would do.

More seriously longer term religious guidance, helping people walk the path of virtue, filling your shrine with cool things.

For a more Highguard spin it’s the make ‘minor religious relic skill’, find a cool phys-rep give it a backstory and then use it in your priesting, to help guide people to virtue. (House Carsenere for instance has some Hallowed Goblets that were used in the toast when the founder declared his ambitions to found a House and redacted)

Arguably they’re better as an advertisement than Testimony because anyone who touches the item can perceive the name. Whereas a Testimony requires Insight to read.

I carry one or two around to pass to people as an incitement to Virtue. They don’t have a mechanical effect but they are quick to deliver.

1 Like

All interesting replies so far!

I guess I look at a lot of the skills as having perceptible mechanical effects, whereas Hallow is a lot more nebulous.

I’m planning on playing a priest of courage next, crossed with artisan making a few different free cost (2 month) religious items.

One of the items I’m jazzed by is Litany of the labyrinth, anointing myself every event seems a bit overkill, but carrying around an item with a mini aura that I only need to bless (hallow) once a year, perfect.

I mean technically neither the item or the item aura will really do anything other than encourage roleplay, but I suspect thats why most people get into the priest gig at Empire.

Oh, also I got Hallow for Blasphemous Garbage Disposal, as it can scrub the Hate off your polearm, IYKWIM.

3 Likes

They do have perceptible mechanical effects: roleplaying effects are a mechanic. They make your character feel a roleplaying effect when they use that item! You can’t ignore that - it’s like not taking your hits.

3 Likes

I realise that. It’s just that the other religious skills have a hard “this > that” mechanic, as opposed to a soft RP one.
I was asking if I had missed an obvious mechanical effect.

No - hallows are less strong but have a wider variety of effects - that’s the trade-off. You’ve not missed owt.