Where do you get your keen from?

Where do you go to get yourself excited about an upcoming event?

I tend to find I have a pre-event slump where I lose all enthusiasm and can only think about the hard work, despite having years of evidence that I’ll have an ace time when I get there. So to key myself up I often have playlists for characters, I write To Do lists to give me IC goals when I hit the field, and I sing songs from my IC booklet to get me in the mood.

What are your pick-me-ups?

In the weeks leading up to an event, I start singing Marcher songs while I’m at work to make sure I’m still good on the lyrics. I also tend to end up making/writing something for an event, so I have a project to get me involved. I guess I produce a seasonal magazine now…

3 Likes

Chatting with friends and organising the froth meet. Getting the costume/props/misc stuff to sell ready. I’m getting better at starting the crafting earlier as previously it’s really stressed me in the days before and I’ve stayed up late to finish when I should have been sleeping

1 Like

I’ve been writing IC-letters; and kit upgrades/starting the design ideas for new character kit, etc. But prep now, well before the event, means less stress for me on the day or night before the event.

1 Like

I usually get keen from meeting up in a pub to plot and scheme with folk :slight_smile:. The big burst of keen comes in the van on the way to the site though. Oh yeah also Winds of War and Winds of Fortune usually have me on the edge of my seat and frantically planning things that will probably be irrelevant within 5 mins of hitting the field :smiley:.

2 Likes

As someone who struggles with a pre as well as a post larp blues I get this. Enthusiasm comes and goes in waves, but usually receiving ic mail, finding character interests in the Winds or making plans with people helps…

3 Likes

I listen to the Larp Noobs Podcast, those guys are so enthusiastic that it just fills the keen levels. Plus it reminds me of things that happened last event

6 Likes

Ah thanks Sean! That’s awesome. Posts like this really make our day!

2 Likes

I focus on the fact that once I walk onto the field at/just before time-in… My phone is back in my car.
Work can’t contact me, and I have a legitimate reason to not have my phone on me.

I don’t dislike my job, just nice to be away from it for a few days!

2 Likes

If I have no enthusiasm for an event, I have yet to find anything that makes me keen. Trying to force it just seems to make what little enthusiasm I had go away. The keen appears once I’m on the field, in the slumps I just accept that rather than try to force it.

3 Likes

Keen to me is a gradual build and is mostly the result of finally getting to show off that thing I’ve been working on…
I miss the friends I only see at Larp and for some characters I love the mood I am in when I play them.
But what most drives my keen is the phrase “I finally get to do the thing”
So in the downtimes I do stuff. I practice, I make things. I send letters…all so that when the event roles around I have the anticipation and can do the thing

2 Likes

September is going to be my first event so this might not mean much. But I have done a lot of other roleplaying stuff before. For those if feeling in a slump I tend to listen to some music I link to my character. Whenever I make a character I will choose a song/theme that I feels fits them and kind of base that character loosely so that song would almost be their theme. So I can listen to it and get into their head space. I have done this for my Empire character. This usually gets me keen to play. As I will start to get ideas of what they can do which is fun for me. I hope that made sense.

My keen tends to come from people and plans; if I know people I like to RP with will be there, if I know there is an event (even just a skirmish) that I will probably enjoy, even if I just know I will have mead and cookies to take with me, the keen comes easier. If I talk to my carta or my military unit near to an event, they are usually good at making me excited.

What gets me is the weather; I know weather forecasts will sap my keen, but I also know I need to plan or I will not have fun when I don’t have the hot- / cold- / wet-weather gear I need.