Winds of fortune: thoughts are free

+++THOUGHTS ARE FREE+++

“The enslavement of sapient beings is contrary to the defining principles of the Empire, our Constitution and the Way of Virtue. Proposed by Sermersuaq, seconded by Weirwater. You see the problem …”

“I don’t see a problem at all.”

“Well, the enslavement of sapient beings is a very vague term, what does it even mean?”

“It means people owning other people. I think it’s pretty straightforward.”

“Yes, but even allowing for that, you can’t really point at one nation or another and say ‘they’re slavers’ can you?”

“Are you being thick on purpose? Of course you can. Nations that don’t allow slavery - the Empire, the Commonwealth, the Sumaah, the Sarcophan probably. Nations that have practiced slavery for so long they’re pretty damn good at it - Faraden, Iron Confederacy, Asavea, Jarm. You’ll note two of them are the Empire’s current primary trade partners. Oh and then there’s Axos which kind of allows slavery while treating anyone who does it like they’re idiots, but can’t be bothered to actually make it illegal.”

“Well, yes, but didn’t Soratio point out that banning trade with slavers would damage the economy to no clear benefit?”

“Sure, but the Prosperity assembly didn’t agree! I don’t know what you point is!”

“My point is that the slavery issue is complex! What does it help us if a bunch of foreigners are emancipated, but the Empire gets burnt to the foundations by barbarians because some well-meaning idealist says we can’t buy white granite from Asavea!”

“Oh for… why do you always say idealist like it’s an insult? And for that matter… look, I am nowhere near drunk enough for this. It’s your round.”

“Fair. Same again?”

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-0/s480x480/14233252_1041308245965155_1141754250453684672_n.png?oh=5317d87e935d8957486a74ac18cf8386&oe=584AD71C

A short update concerning the general international situation. The primary developments of interest covered in this little Wind of Fortune include:

• Developments in Sumaah - you won’t BELIEVE what they are saying about the IMPERIAL CROWN!
  • “The enslavement of sapient beings is contrary to the defining principles of the Empire” - the International Community REACTS!
  • Why the Asaveans are NOT HAPPY with what this one PRIEST said
  • Black sailed ships are coming - what this means for YOU and your ships’ crew!

You can find the update here → http://www.profounddecisions.co.uk/empire-wiki/Thoughts_are_free_(Trade_Winds)

The picture is a relief from Smyrna (present-day Izmir, Turkey) depicting a Roman soldier leading captives in chains, currently on display in the Ashmolean Museum, Oxford (apparently). By Jun (Flickr: Roman collared slaves) [CC BY-SA 2.0 (creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0)], via Wikimedia Commons

#Asonedoorclosesanotheroneopens, #Icouldntfindagoodquotefroma20thcenturydictatorsadly, #Stillchancefortheempiretomakethesituationworse