Anointing allowing you to resist auras

I can’t seem to find anything concrete on the wiki, but does anyone know if being under an Anointing allows you to resist an aura? I heard about the concept for the first time this evening and wondered if a) I’d been missing a chance to use tasty tasty Liao or b) I’d got the wrong end of the stick. I thought it was hero points that allowed you to do that, you see.

The relevant wiki page

The general rule seems to be that if the anointing contradicts the roleplaying effect you’re looking to overcome, you can obey the anointing instead. Hero points have the advantage that they let you ignore any effect (an anointing of prosperity is unlikely to help you overcome a feeling of sickness mid-combat…)

Thank you for that. I’m sure I have read that page before but didn’t mentally twig quite what the implications were at the time. :slight_smile:

I also found this “Anointing effects created with ceremonial liao lasts for an encounter” on profounddecisions.co.uk/empi … s_Overview which pretty much implies that they were created for battles.

[swear] How did I miss this? I know I’ve read that page too. I must have been skim reading it for a different thing and not put two and two together.

It does also say “The recipients of an anointing, will receive a card with the roleplaying effects printed on it and the strength of the anointing. You can keep this card until the next morning to remind you of the effects that your character is under.”

I’ve never seen or used a card; should this be common practice or is this out of date? My character has traditionally steered clear of Anointings and has, to date, only done one and received one (neither of which had a card) but I should really know this.

You can expend a hero point at any time to justify responding to any roleplaying effect in a way that you choose.

If you’re under a suitable anointing, it might allow you to overcome suitable roleplaying effects. Look in particular for terms like “when under an effect of X, you may do Y” or “you find feelings of Z are muted and weaker”.

If you are under an anointing without any relevance to the other RP effect you’re under, then you are under two RP effects and should have Fun.

Note that there are no general purpose anointings for this job.

Cards are a lie - they were an optimistic idea we’ve never managed to implement.

Thank heavens the cards are a lie, I was a bit worried I’d been doing it wrong (although the cards are a good idea; I had to approach Livia OC after my anointing to remember what I was supposed to be RPing. I totally get why they are impractical though).

I was aware of the hero point thing (which is one reason I took two levels of it) but sometimes hero points are worth more than liao in a battle so it’s good to know that I have a choice, or I can use them on people who don’t have HPs of their own.

I did assume that only a relevant anointing would work on a relevant aura, again, good to know I interpreted that correctly.

Thanks! :smiley:

[quote=“LauraH”]I also found this “Anointing effects created with ceremonial liao lasts for an encounter” on profounddecisions.co.uk/empi … s_Overview which pretty much implies that they were created for battles.

[swear] How did I miss this? I know I’ve read that page too. I must have been skim reading it for a different thing and not put two and two together. [/quote]

I missed it too, because the anointing section itself says it lasts until the next morning…

I think that may be an error in need of editing.

It is an error in need of editing - someone e-mail rules and hassle them.

Yeah I’ve always understood it to last until the next day as well. I’ll drop them an email and we’ll see which version is the latest rules when the wiki is updated.

edit
Huh Kingreaper I’ve checked and I can’t find a page saying “until the next day”

profounddecisions.co.uk/empi … ceremonies
profounddecisions.co.uk/empi … s_Overview

Both say encounter. And

profounddecisions.co.uk/empi … #Anointing

Links to the ceremonies overview. Can you find the page which says different?

And at least I’ve worked out why I was confused the duration changed to Encounter back in 2014 :slight_smile: I shall correct my anointing spiel forthwith.

Hmm. So Anointings that are done out of a specific encounter don’t have a specific time on them. Maybe that’s why we’ve all assumed ‘until the next day’ (given I know one of the Courage ones is a dream, so it can’t end until you wake up).

Thanks for emailing, Mark.

I’d be very tempted to make my own IC cards with the RP effects written on, along with a small devotional image and possibly a receipt, if I were a priest.

Hah, I was considering doing just that earlier today. Keep a few of the effects in my bag for anyone who receives one. Can’t say I’d’ve considered receipts… Although, business cards*?

“Like this aura? See Agnieszka for more details.
Spiritual counselling, Anointings and more!”]
[size=50]Side effects may include headaches, dizziness, seeing things out of the corner of your eye and having the Courage to finally confront that corrupt official who always seems to make their opponents disappear into the night…[/size]

*No. I am not seriously considering business cards.