Briar-unfriendly Stridings

Hi all,

I am soon to play a character who was once a Navarr. I am looking for a Striding to put into my background, and if possible even interact with in play.
The key point is that I showed the mark of the Briar as a result of the tattoo given during the Binding of Thorns, and was subsequently banished as a bad omen.
A striding with a dim view of Briars would be preferred, otherwise I shall simply create one :slight_smile:

Thanks,

Soon to be Joducus Cascade, of Urizen

Winters Vigil is pretty Briar unfriendly, i’ll poke the boss and see if shes ok with it.

So chatting with the others in the striding and the general consensus was we would have killed you the moment you showed any Briarness, sorry mate. At least we wouldn’t skin you and wear you though so that’s a bonus!

1 Like

Hah, excellent. Thanks for checking. Shame though!

I may well just go ahead and make up a name. Any objections to me mentioning Winter’s Vigil in the context of “At least I wasn’t born in Winter’s Vigil, otherwise I wouldn’t have lasted long enough to be banished”?

In lack of any Stridings, are there any Steadings that would be suitable?

To be honest bud, you might be better off just making a striding up.

Personally I think all stridings and steadings should be anti-briar, them being a blight upon the world and such.

although the foxden is friendly to almost anyone, some of do dislike briar. Especially Faelan who would just generally ignore them. in most cases more like shuns them. You’d have to ask other foxden members what they think. ask on navarr fb they will all see it.

I’m just going to chime in here with some questions…
What is in the IC rationale for hating briars?
I will be navarr at the Easter event, and thought of maybe turning Briar in the future… after a wound, fro example…
Totally new to LARP, but not roleplay, for context.

[quote=“Welshy”]I’m just going to chime in here with some questions…
What is in the IC rationale for hating briars?
I will be navarr at the Easter event, and thought of maybe turning Briar in the future… after a wound, fro example…
Totally new to LARP, but not roleplay, for context.[/quote]

Briars are icky because they are covered in Spring magic gone wrong, which is what destroyed our historic civilisation.
If Briars die around the Vallorn, they turn into really nasty horrible monsters.
Have you found the Facebook group? There’s usually a lot more Navarr on there than these forums.

1 Like

Hi Isca, thanks for your reply.
I am working my way through all the lore and back story, but hadn’t read that yet…
So in game, if I became a briar, at a later date, people would ostracise me? What would the IC effect be, if I can ask?
And I would love to join the FB group, but believe it or not, I don’t have facebook!

EDIT: Isca, are you Navarr?

Wow. That’s a striding of really monstrous characters you’ve decided to play there. Totally against the Empire’s law of course, and hugely more extreme than the common attitudes described on profounddecisions.co.uk/empi … _attitudes

[quote=“Profound Decisions”]
However, one lineage is distasteful to the Navarr. They mostly shun the Briars, whom they can’t help but see as an outward manifestation of the overabundant growth of the Vallorn and as a reminder of what was lost. While intellectually they may understand that a Briar has their place in the Dance like everyone else, Navarr are rarely comfortable in the presence of such a being, and they are rarely welcome amongst the Navarr. Navarr Briars often make efforts to conceal their lineage as much as possible.[/quote]

[quote=“Welshy”]Hi Isca, thanks for your reply.
I am working my way through all the lore and back story, but hadn’t read that yet…
So in game, if I became a briar, at a later date, people would ostracise me? What would the IC effect be, if I can ask?
And I would love to join the FB group, but believe it or not, I don’t have facebook!

EDIT: Isca, are you Navarr?[/quote]

Yep, Navarr. We have a reputation for having more of a problem with Briars than many other nations, because they look contaminated with horrible Vallorn.

People are usually really bad at discriminating against characters based on IC attributes. Most of Navarr would either be mostly fine with you, or you’d get a bit of friendly teasing. There’s a few people who will go to the other end of the scale and refuse to talk to Briars, or loudly go on about how awful Briars are in your hearing, or similar. There are some but relatively few in between, who will still talk to you whilst remembering that they really don’t like being around you. There are a few Stridings who would throw you out if you became a Briar, but you would definitely still be able to find a group to be part of.

Ostracising other characters isn’t much fun - it’s far more interesting to talk to them, or possibly have screaming rows, rather than ignoring them.

My character would probably end up making friends with you if it turned out you were a Briar. She loudly tells everyone that the only reason she is friends with so many Briars is because it is her duty to keep a watchful eye on what they get up to. Other people suspect her of being an undercover Briar herself, which is why she enjoys the company of Briars. But if you said that to her face, she’d shout at you a lot.

Being a Briar isn’t necessarily something I’d recommend for your first time at larp, but the people who play them seem to enjoy the in-character conflict it creates.

There’s a lot on the wiki. Don’t worry about having to memorise it all. It is your character’s first time at Anvil too, everything is very confusing for them, and it is absolutely fine to ask questions in-character. The best thing you can do at first is wander around asking ‘What’s going on?’ and ‘Can I help?’.

[quote=“Canashir”]

Wow. That’s a striding of really monstrous characters you’ve decided to play there. Totally against the Empire’s law of course, and hugely more extreme than the common attitudes described on profounddecisions.co.uk/empi … _attitudes

[quote=“Profound Decisions”]
However, one lineage is distasteful to the Navarr. They mostly shun the Briars, whom they can’t help but see as an outward manifestation of the overabundant growth of the Vallorn and as a reminder of what was lost. While intellectually they may understand that a Briar has their place in the Dance like everyone else[/quote]

, Navarr are rarely comfortable in the presence of such a being, and they are rarely welcome amongst the Navarr. Navarr Briars often make efforts to conceal their lineage as much as possible.[/quote]

Worth mentioning that’s a post from 2013, and everyone in that Striding is either dead or retired now AFAIK.

Still, the attitudes mentioned aren’t that much worse than is common across nations, and considering the number of PCs who just ignore the ‘prejudiced against Briars’ bit of the brief, it’s not far off in the other direction:

profounddecisions.co.uk/empire-wiki/Briar

As for being against the law, that’s going to be difficult to enforce when the Militia and Civil Service can’t get past the surrounding Vallorn without a guide. Death is common, and bodies turn to husks if not quickly disposed of. ‘Monstrous’ is certainly an IC opinion it would be possible to hold, there are others.

It’s definitely one end of the brief, but there’s plenty of people playing the other end without comment.

It does depend on the nation. In Varushka, they are considered child-like. Varushka likes children but we do have to teach them not to do stupid things, to respect their elders, to follow the rules. So while there isn’t the fear/outright hatred that the Navaar have, they are treated differently.

In Urizen, the brief says we look down on them for being anti-intellectual. In play, the briars Urizen has had have tended to be of the ‘is that genius or insanity or both?’ type and we look down on them for being wackjobs.

Ok, thanks for replies!
This is all very intriguing.
Can I ask a question then. How many Empire Larpers choose a lineage, what percentage approximately?
i.e, is it common, or more of a choice for more advanced larpers? with most sticking with just roleplaying a nation? (i don’t use just in a derogatory manner, by the way.

And Isca, thanks for the replies, I am a bit intimidated by the amount of info, but intend to just throw myself into as many aspects as I can initially. :slight_smile:

I couldn’t give you any hard and fast numbers, but lineage certainly isn’t rare. Maybe 50% (including all lineages, and degree of lineage added together)?

Sometimes you will get groups of players all playing a certain lineage, and some groups will be nearly all humans. It’s kinda hard to tell when the game is so big. :slight_smile:

Thanks LauraH. :slight_smile:

The Companions of Tarw are a merc group who don’t particularly like Briars. But they can be useful every now and again…

Willing to chat further if you want :slight_smile:

(Chris Melvin on fb)

As a player who has only been to one event, I’m glad I decided to play a lineaged character (Draughir). It helped me get stuck in, and I’ve frequently had to have the “NotAllDraughir” talk whenever someone asks me about cannibalism. Then again, I chose a lineage that’s respected in my nation (Varushka), so I don’t know what a navarr briar experience will be.