Broken sword

Hi my Gfs swords hilt looks like it needs fixing, i think its latex, has anyone fixed something similar to this?

I’m no expert, but that looks like the foam has split, never mind the latex covering it (which looks to be cast instead of painted on).

Given that the hilt looks like and extra added on top of the main structure, it could probably be repaired, but it’s a job for professionals.

Many of the companies that sell weapons at events do repairs: leave them an item with contact details, and pick it up next event. Could be worth asking around, because that is highly unlikely to pass weapons check.

As we’ll probably want it for our first event, what are the companies called? I’d love to send it ahead so we could pick it up at our first event!

(thanks for helping :smile:)

I’m sorry to say that looks like an injection cast sword. These can often be too hard for UK lrp systems or they have hard spots that cause them to fail weapons check. Those hard spots can be in the pommel or because the core is close to the surface because the casting wasn’t perfect. By no means is this always true. These swords can pass weapons check.
I would open the tear as much as possible then apply contact adhesive to the torn surface and where you want it to stick. wait for it to dry then stick the 2 surfaces together. It would cost a couple of quid for a tube of contact adhesive that will do the job.
Please speak to others about what to do. Larp swords aren’t cheap the one you purchased seems like a good idea but may not work in the field.

Thanks! does it matter what kind of contact adhesive i use (does that just mean glue?)

Contact adhesive is a type of glue but the main thing you want it for is it will stay flexible after it’s set. Here is a link to what would work.

Try tracking down the LRP weapons manufacturers here:

https://www.profounddecisions.co.uk/empire-wiki/Traders

I’ve had weapons repaired by Eldritch in the past, but not injection cast ones…

1 Like

Given that it seems to be just the quillion (one of the arms of the crossguard) coming off, there’s a chance the weapon might pass safety-check even if it comes off completely. It depends on whether there’s still enough padding all over once that bit has gone. It would look bad though.

Another possibility for repair might be to add some strength by doing as described above and then gluing a bit of cloth along the side, covering the crack.

For any future purchases though, I recommend avoiding injection moulded/cast weapons (e.g. Calimacil brand).

I thought Calamacil were good; the swords we have are just the cheapest ones my GF found at a local swords and armor shop. I assumed Calamacil were great because all the youtubers talk so much about them - and intended to by buy one of their greatswords when i next had some money.

Calicimail are the only decent brand that use this method. The weapons are very pretty but the foam can be very hard or contain denser areas of foam due to the manufacturing method. Some pass weapons check, but always on a “Case by Case” basis. Be warned that when the foam is cold they are surprisingly stiff.

2 Likes

Calamacil are one of the better injection moulded brands. But all injection molded LARP weapons suffer from the same issues: they lack consistency, often the foam is too hard (though it usually softens in use), the core can be misaligned within the mould meaning it’s too near the surface, and once they start to degrade (as yours has) it is very hard to repair them as they are made in one piece.

Whereas with the core and layered foam weapons, the maker has much more control over the density of the foam and where it’s applied, and if one area of latex and/or foam wears out it can often be stripped out and replaced without having to repair the rest.

Calimacil are fine if that’s what you like. But as a general rule you will get a sturdier and better-lasting weapon with core and layers construction.

2 Likes

I’m also led to believe that Calimacil weaponry is accepted a lot more across the pond, where the company is based, whereas the weapon safety requirements in the UK, particularly Empire, are more stringent.

3 Likes

I’ve not looked at LARP-related videos, but… are these youtubers all rather new to larp, by any chance? And/or are they from other countries?
In this country (and certainly at Empire) moulded/cast weapons are quite rare and …well, there’s a reason almost all the weapons you can by from the traders at Empire are made by the more labour-intensive method of cutting and gluing pieces of cloth and of Plastazote to a fibreglass (or carbon-fibre) core and then painting with latex.
(Plastazote is the brand-name for the closed-cell cross-linked polyethene foam made by Zotefoams.)

Shoo Goo, is not a nice glue to work with (get it online) not cheap either but PERFECT for sticking foam, as is flexible

1 Like