Burnin’ Clothes

I was reading up on the Brass Coast, and although the idea of burning clothes after death is a nice feature, it does sound like it would make it harder to source new costumes at the event in case of a unplanned character death. Is there anyway for this burnin’ of fabrics to be done off-stage so to speak? That way I could rearrange a few bits of cloth, sourcing a few from the old pack, and make a new character in a similar costumed-nation like the League XD. Thanks for the help.

I don’t think anyone would contradict you if you used random fabric scraps to burn and pretended they were parts of a characters costume that you would rather keep. And while doing stuff as much as possible in-play is ideal, off-stage burning would also be entirely appropriate in my opinion

3 Likes

Goodness, no one expects you to actually burn perfectly good kit! If you have some suitable scraps of fabric it makes for nice role-play, but really, most of the funeral customs suggested can be done ‘off-stage’, if only because playing a corpse can get really tedious, and the player may need to nip off to pee/eat/decompress. Most LARP funerals I’ve encountered have done the ‘say lovely things about the dead character’ IC so their player can enjoy it then shuffled the ‘corpse’ off field/into a tent so the player can get on with their day.

7 Likes

I made a pack of burnable cloth and paper with some sparkly ‘make pretty fire colours’ in it for my character’s burning.

3 Likes

I will say that the Brass Coast and League have VASTLY different costuming briefs…

2 Likes