Cost of Bows/Crossbows

My Gf is thinking of going the bow/crossbow route. I think this would be great! Its already good to have her character around as a healer when i am fighting - but if she was impaling people left and right at distance it’d be even better.

Only problem is costing, so i have the questions:

• How manty arrows/bolts do you need to have fun?
    How many do you bring per event?
  • How many do you expect to loose per battle/skirmish?
  • Do they let you run around later looking for them?
  • How many arrows from the other side do you expect to pick up and send back per battle?
    also where do you get arroes/bolts/bows/crossbows? and do certian brands pass/fail safety checks more than others?

I know very little about it but my suggestions would be that if she doesn’t have many arrows then to fight near an enemy archer so she can take theirs and they can take hers so they can return it back. Maybe she can team up with someone being fairly passive like a healer who could help collect the arrows.

From what I saw, people would start on around 10 to 15 and then near the end of the battle they would either only have a few or they would be firing one shot then going to look for the next. It seemed that the later half was fought using the other archers arrows.

You are more likely to loose some if you are being pushed back. Advancing can help get back the ones you have fired. While the enemy archers will also do this, you can’t rely on this. It is better to rely on your vigilance than others.

I think you would be able to go looking for them during the battle and maybe after once the monsters have come off if you talk to the right people. You’d probably need a bee with you due to health and safety issues but if you can get one to come along, I see no reason why you couldn’t look.

Probably a good idea would be to put maybe coloured ribbons on the arrows or something like that to make it easier to see.

That is really all I can tell you.

Hey! Archery is awesome but I am very biased on it.
Rapid fire answers back:

How manty arrows/bolts do you need to have fun?
Around 10-15 is the max, most archers carry about 5-10.

How many do you bring per event?
Around ten is what I tend to bring but I only monster. Bring more if you can afford it!

How many do you expect to loose per battle/skirmish?
About 1 an event is the current average. Ive lost 3 or 4 in a single event, at another none so its mixed.

Do they let you run around later looking for them?
Collecting arrows CHECKING THEY ARE SAFE, and firing back is the standard routine for archers at Empire. I would strongly advise against running around ahead of your lines without being a reasonable runner, and having support. Shooting imperial archers and letting them snuff it on their own is a particular joy for monster archers.
Personally I tend to team up with another archer or two so we can cover/fight as a team and share arrows. Healers will be extremely busy most battles and also tend to be priority targets for enemy archers so will unlikely to be able to assist you whilst loosing/arrow collecting.

Otherwise arrows are collected and sorted back at god post battle, so you will need to mark your arrows with your initials/symbol to find them in buckets of everyone else’s.

How many arrows from the other side do you expect to pick up and send back per battle?
Depends on the battle. Against Jotun… you will get none back as they don’t have archers in their armies. Otherwise Druj/Grendel tends to be lots. Druj in particular are great fun to monster with as PD provides a lot of arrows to monster with (I had buckets to myself at E3).

also where do you get arroes/bolts/bows/crossbows? and do certian brands pass/fail safety checks more than others?
Look around online. Key thing is IDV arrow types are banned, so read the wiki on archery before buying any arrows. I use inyourdreamsFX with David Duke’s who makes good arrows, but its worth buying in bulk if you can so its cheaper per cost of arrow.

If you’re new to Larp archery, it is absolutely not recommended to buy arrows online. Several commonly available types of arrows are completely banned at Empire and you really don’t want to spend a bunch of money and turn up to the event and be told “no, go buy new arrows”. It’s very much worth coming to the event, buying a few there (even 5 is enough to have a decent go) and asking Weapons Check for advice.

Noting that she is likely to be running around collecting enemy arrows and firing them back, she may want to consider a regular bow over a crossbow as there are less of the latter in play.

The main thing that has stopped our group from investing in a few is the rarity of them. But catch 22. If no one uses them no one will buy one.

(I’m wishing the Larp arquebus gets allowed some day…)

I’m starting to use a crossbow at Empire and I got to try it out last game in the battle in the forest with the fort. Only had 5 bolts but i managed to stick myself near another person with a crossbow and as we were in a static position we were both able to scavenge for each other’s bolts pretty easily. It was a lot of fun, I got one bolt broken and one is currently missing but might turn up next game.

I’m going to go with 10 or so bolts next time and see how I go. I’ve also had inyourdreamsfx recommended to me by folk who use their bolts at Empire.

So yes I think she should totally buy a crossbow so we can scavenge each other’s bolts on the field :smiley:.

Well, it is possible to get LARP crossbows that shoot normal LARP arrows (rather than short bolts). They tend to be a lot bigger than the bolt-shooting crossbows though.

I’ve done a fair bit of archery in other games, but only once at Empire. That was monstering with a bow, starting with three or four arrows, scavenging lots, shooting maybe twenty or thirty in total, probably never having more than six or eight at once, sometimes going down to just one.