Creating IC Letters

Is there an easy (hopefully online and printable) way of creating an IC letter?

I’m about artistic as a crab with gloves on so if there’s an online resource that would be ace.

There probably is, however it will cost a fortune! Better off buying some decent paper, printing whatever you want to write in a nice font. Then either covering it in a used tea bag or setting fire to it, or even both.

1 Like

There’s a website called like 1001 fonts that have plenty of fonts free for non-commercial use. Can probably find something there to use. Can then finish the letter off with a was seal and a signature.

Microsoft word, a good font and some cream paper.

1 Like

If you are looking for fonts the Anvil Hospital have an excellent fonts pack you can download.

Thanks, the font site looks ideal.
I’ll give it a go

Non-white paper is also a really useful thing to have knocking around. White paper has this modern look to it. Just a straight up cream paper will do, more fancy if you’ve got the cash.

Pen and ink is an investment; handwritten letters do have a certain charm about them. They do take longer though.

Here’s a font site I use with some great handwriting fonts - http://www.pia-frauss.de/fonts/te.htm

Here’s the link to the Anvil Hospital font collection - http://www.anvilhospital.co.uk/library.php

Picking my new characters handwriting font is always an important part of discovering who they are I find :slight_smile: My current character likes to show off how clever he is, so his handwriting is somewhat fancy.

I normally end up sending documents by attaching a PDF document to an email but as people have said cream paper to print on is ideal for hard copy.

Beyond that you get into fun stuff like adding wax seals and the like, which is fun too if you want to raise your phys rep game. The pro-tip here is to use the wax sticks that have candle wicks on them as they’re easier to control. You can also pick up seals online relatively cheaply too, or just use a distinctive ring as my old character used to.

My favourite font for both looking “handwritten-ish” and “readable” is Monotype Corsiva.

Here’s my tutorial for taking your digitally-created IC letters to the next level. Requires illustrator or GIMP or a similar art program. Convincing handwriting from fonts - Craft Tutorials

5 Likes

I use Google Docs, as the More Fonts option has both a selection of good handwriting fonts and also some gold old fashioned print and calligraphy ones.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1UV6NDqfbQc8lPqWQv3q22TpXQmBlE1sPTqKCyaPMFaw/edit?usp=sharing

3 Likes

“Parchment” is a good keyword when searching for IC looking paper. I’ve gotten it off of Amazon for £4.99 for 25 sheets (100gsm). Expensive for paper, but as long as you’re not mass producing letters, it’s not terrible.

Lots of tips here already on fonts, just make sure to do test prints on cheap paper to size it correctly. On the field, once it’s been folded up a few times and read by candle light, tiny dainty swirly things will get hard to read.

I know you didn’t ask this but: If you did ever want to branch out into writing by hand, I can recommend the font “Uncial” as a starting font. It’s simple, fairly intuitive, and not a cursive. Plus you can always avoid the calligraphy pens and go for “faux-calligraphy” which just uses a gel ball point pen. Obviously hand writing and calligraphy does take a long time (and some practice) but it is fun. I wouldn’t recommend the felt tip calligraphy pens for much besides writing signs or large stuff, as they never seem to come in a small enough size for letters.

Another good keyword for IC looking paper is “vellum” - if you search on eBay or Amazon you can sometimes find boxes of 500 A4 sheets for £15 or thereabouts. (The more expensive brands are up to £30 but that’s still for a 500-sheet box.)

Another almost zero-cost technique is to print on ordinary paper and soak for half an hour in tea.

If you are careful, screw up the wet, just-dyed paper and unfold immediately. I “hung” it to drip over the kitchen sink because of the natural stickiness of wet paper, by pressing the top edge to the unit above the sink, but it dries just as well (but more slowly) on a grill. When partially dry, roll carefully and leave half-rolled on it’s end to dry. Tie with red ribbon for a great effect.

I made nice looking maps this way, too, from the images on the web site.

Tip: if you want to use a fountain pen, you’ll need to colour the paper first, dry flat then roll it.

(Note, I meant air-dry on a metal grill for support, not heated under a grill (as in appliance) - I would not recommend trying that)

2 Likes