Death Guising at the Masqurade of the Reaper

For Context: https://www.profounddecisions.co.uk/empire-wiki/The_Masquerade_of_the_Reaper

So, Event just gone, my character died on one of the night skirmishes. In rain against a bunch of wraiths (oh the horror).
The body was never recovered but some personal effects were left in camp. With this our first death in the group and the festival next summit, I would like to know how your group honoured the dead and how guising works. Did the role get passed around the camp? Did the player reprise their role for one night. I also think I need to talk to a league egregore for some of the details.

The player doesn’t reprise the role. Generally another member of the group takes on the role of the dead character for the night - an iconic mask (if they had one) is one of the best props, but anything to make it clear who is being represented is useful.

NOTE: Tea is a ref and knows better than me. I am just a noob trying to expand upon the response.

The way I understand it, based on other players, is that death-guising is something you do for a close friend. It’s a part of the grieving process, letting loved ones and associates say goodbye; the dead person is not there and everyone (usually) knows exactly who is behind the mask.

Some people will look for a friend with a close physical build, others for someone who knew them well enough to know how they would speak to mourners, while I do not doubt a few will ask a friend with theatre experience who can really take on the role.

Perhaps it’s just a dramaturgical eulogy; invoking the hearth magic of masks and theatre to really say goodbye in the most Leaguish way possible.

Yeah, that’s a really good summary. It’s not an OOC taking on of the role - the guising character is IC-roleplaying as the dead character. It’s quite meta, really.

I think I understand. But I’m unclear on what the guiser does. Are they a merely a icon that people can point their grief at or are they able to have some input in to the role also? Would it be see as insulting if they played the role insultingly?
This a part of the hearth magic I have not seen before so I have little point of reference.

So… this is my personal take on it, just as example I’m making up on the spot.

• Imagine I have a Leaguish character called Verdi.
  • Imagine Verdi has a brother called Giacomo, and they have a cousin called Rossini.
  • Giacomo dies on a battle and does not come back through the Sentinel Gate.
  • The people who love Giacomo have not had a chance to say their farewells. There are loose threads, unfinished business, things people wanted to say… perhaps apologies, perhaps undeclared loves.
  • For that one evening, Verdi acts the part of Giacomo, with Giacomo’s clothes, mannerisms, accent, habits and so on.
  • Rossini is mourning, along with Giacomo’s other friends and relatives, but now they have the opportunity for a final conversation with “Giacomo” (played by Verdi). They can say their goodbyes, their thanks, their apologies. “Giacomo” can say things to the mourners: perhaps goodbyes, or thanks, or forgiveness.
  • They might drink a final toast together… might even do something fun, in remembrance and celebration of the good times they had before, and will never have together again.
  • Thus the mourners may find some measure of ease for their pain and grief. Some closure.