Descriptions of character 'homes'

I’ve been chatting with one of the folks who I am hitting field with (whenever that is), and it got me thinking

How do people envision their little patch of the world?
What’s the area around the Stead/Chapterhouse/Spire/etc like?

So, for me, the Spire of Ember’s Wake is set into a high natural cove along the coast of Redoubt. (Built in rather than along for a number of reasons, least of all being weather and defense)

It’s somewhat, to use real world examples, like a combination of the hills and cliffs around Whitby, England and the north coast of Oregon in the US.
Beautiful when the sun is bright and the sea is calm, but a terror when the weather is bad and the sea is high…

2 Likes

Felix’s Watch in Casinea (we’re on one of the mountains west of Anvil) has a lot of this kind of monastery about it

It’s up an inhospitable mountain, populated mostly by goats, has a very Greek mountain vibe to the whole area, which works because we’ve also got wine vineyards at the bottom of the mountain. When we say be careful and don’t go playing on the edge of the path, we mean it because 1000ft drops and all that :slight_smile: .

5 Likes

Oh, I make up a lot of fluff like this…

(before E1 Y1 I had my starting Dawnish House modelled in Lego, complete with maps, tax records and history :stuck_out_tongue: )

The demesne of House Tour De Cendres in Semmerholm is a series of valleys and woods just back from the Barrens border. The house itself is a fortified manor, blocky and reinforced, crenellated with extra watch-towers, and currently on it’s fourth occupying House (I wrote histories).

From the newly built towers of pale grey stone fly pennants in black and gold, and watchers squint into the bitter east wind, ever Vigilant for the Druj.

It sits amidst farmland and several outlying villages, interspersed with woods containing snakes, murderous boars, and at least one strange thing from the Summer realms trolling us.

The villages have been rebuilt, the ghosts laid to rest, and the Druj guerillas hunted down. It’s come a long way since the invasion of 381…

5 Likes

My characters family home is a large timber frame hall. In the centre is a large community space with a brick floor and a central fireplace. The smell of stew herbs and wood smoke fill the hall as children play and friends share a drink. At one end are a small set of rooms for the family, just a couple of bedrooms and a family room. At the other end are a few stores and workroom, just a couple of well-lit rooms to weave cloth, boil lye or store pickles. In one corner is a Varushkan forest cat called Greebo, with a temper like a Varushkan forest cat, but at least there are no mice.
He does however regularly stay away for his job. Despite his wife living in Upwold, his mana site and congregation are both in Mitwold. When he’s in town he leaves his staff by the door of the Maiden’s Menhir Inn, just to let everyone know he’s around. The dark ale is particularly fine, and the seat opposite the fire has plenty of legroom. Jack the Bar Steward knows that Nicholas’ coin is good, that his favours are better and that him being around brings in custom.
He likes to vary the route he walks, to cover as much land as possible and go where the moment needs him. He’s helped by the trods, sure, but also a set of shepherds’ bothies where the savvy farmers keep a fresh cob and some clean water, and the cunning landskeeper knows that Bad Things will happen to them that take without helping.

3 Likes

Tris lives in Korotny in Karov, which is described as a “bustling port” with one of the largest fishing fleets in Varushka, so I always picture it like an early Gdansk (i.e. not quite as large as Gdansk is now!), which kinda makes a change to a lot of the Varushkan forests/caves etc. Her house itself is one of the tall ones on the port front; she has a shop for trading goods coming in, plus has her own fleet of ships, so it’s a convenient location for her.

4 Likes

My Chapter and I have always used Mostar as the visual inspiration for Haros Water, with our chapter house being one of the buildings that straddles the river running through the town.

6 Likes

I saw my character’s home in Sarvos as a bit of a compromise; he lives in a nicer part of the city itself, but his home is kind of vertical and there is a vague smell of fish drifting over from the bay.

I saw a solid Venetian style four-story house, which even has a narrow passage between him and every neighbour, rather than part of a terrace. He doesn’t have a courtyard, but makes up for it with a rooftop garden looking out over the bay. Due to the verticality of the area, the houses are linked by narrow arched supports for stability, high above the street; none of them are quite level as each building fights the natural tendency to sink slowly over time, but they keep the houses from slumping over.

His carta, on the other hand, is the Carta Bellamarina… Thanks to being in just the wrong part of Caricomare, I am told that their warehouses are on an outcropping of rock no longer attached to the island. For a few years now, a series of hastily-constructed bridges have been run from a fine stone archway to the carta buildings and so I have to assume that they use cranes to directly load and unload their cargo onto barges which can then pole out to their ships; you are not getting goods across those bridges, after all…

4 Likes

I always imagined Rhisiart’s home in Hercynia as relatively small, set in a small patch of pine forest against the backdrop of the rolling hills of North pines. It’s bitterly cold in the winter, but in the summer is framed by swaying colours of heather.
Being Navarr it incorporates different hues of wood such a beggarswood in the construction and lacquered with Ambergelt. The house is slightly unusual from the norm of Hercynia with small Urizen lightstones incorporated into the eaves, and study and arched windows more suiting to an Urizen spire.
Beyond the house it has a herb garden, a small woodshed, and a open sided hall for communal weapons practice.
Rhis's house 2

6 Likes

Borys brings his home with him to Anvil, but the rest of his caravan train take his wheels and goats to camp a few miles outside. That way people who trade with the Vardovich know that he won’t up and leave during the night.

8 Likes

Cantiarch’s Hold is a huge walled citadel in the same hills as Felix’s Watch. It’s been there for over 400 years, and is entirely self sufficient if we want it to be, shut the gates and the walls enclose farmland and orchards, which is what saved us in the Patrician wars.
Think of it something along the lines of the big monastic complexes, with a martial and family feel. There is a huge geothermal heated rock pool underneath the main buildings, which supply water, heat and the all important bath house facilities.
This is why although we’re one of the oldest still established Chapters, and the closest to Anvil, very few of our number make the half day’s journey. After all who would want to live in a tent for 3 days with Anvil’s notoriously screwy weather when you can stay home with a real bed, hot cooked meals and proper hygiene!

2 Likes

I think Skarsind, with all the mountains and valleys, with snow and rain, lends itself to peaked buildings with as much stone in its construction so that it’s sturdy, with a wood and slate stone roof. Maybe a multi-level basement/cellar. Upstairs is reminiscent of barracks; and there’s a small library, and a magical practice room. Outer buildings contain craft areas, a forge, a papermill, a woolshed, etc. Nearby, there’re a mana crystal site, a combat training ground, and a fighting pit, which has two large taiko-style drums. The trees have wind-chimes, and strips of cloth with words on them.

2 Likes

Balam has a small house in Casinea that is a one minute away from the monasterie, it has a Libary filled with books about the 6 realms but mostly autumn(you know the best one😉) and a room that he practices his swordplay in and that leads into a nice meadow and at the back of that is his mana site!

2 Likes

I’ve thought about my farm in Skarsind.
A formerly Wintermark timber house with a long history and worth in every crack and groove overlooking the farmland, in the shadow of snow capped mountains.
Inside a fire crackles in the fire pit, driving out the morning chill that clings to the ridges even through the summer.
As the day progresses and the sun rises above, the kids from the last season frolic amongst the goats that are content to stand in the shade and chew at the greenery.
Dusk arrives early as the sun sinks behind the Hercynian mountains, silhouetting them a deep blue against the long burning sky.
If the sky is cloudless and the night warm, the stars shine clear and brilliantly above as we sit around a fire, talk and tell stories…
It’s a simple life, but I’m content to have a patch of my own.
longhouse_small

6 Likes

An artistic depiction of Lambrook. The Home of House Balston in Birchland Upwold. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

art by rebecka chamption

2 Likes