Eternals of Day

It makes me happy that the eternal most interested in strategy and war is called Zakalwe. Just a perfect choice.

I’m not a hardcore Banks fan, but recognised the name; I honestly don’t know where one should draw the line between ‘easter egg’ and ‘this is a pop-culture reference that takes people OOC’.

I have a new man-crush.

That’s a pretty awesome write up, I’m jealous of the conclave types who’ll get to meet them.

Just don’t bring any gravitas when you go meet him.

? I just read the write-up. Are you thinking that if anyone else brings Gravitas and it combines with Zakalwe’s, there might be a Gravitas Singularity Event, and everyone nearby would be sucked into a black hole by the inexorable force of overwhelming Gravitas?

Actually I was just making another pop-Culture (see what I did there) reference relating to his name’s origins. Clearly we should ask him about the Use of Weapons at every opportunity. :wink:

We should invite him to the Military Council, except that he’d have to bring his own chair. :open_mouth:

Ah. It has been many, many sleeps since I read Use of Weapons. And a little Googling enlightens me… RIP Iain M Banks, I’ve just been reminded what a talent you were.

I felt really, really guilty about it … but nobody has told me off yet and I hope to keep it that way. The character isn’t really all that much like Cheradenine and I hope people will appreciate it as a nod towards one of my personal Empire sources rather than spend their whole time mugging and trying to give him throwing daggers or ivory chairs.

In my defence … I was quite tired; DeWar was too obvious; I felt calling him “Tidehunter” was even more obvious; the “-we” suffix is used for another Eternal who lives on the littoral and I liked that; didn’t have an eternal whose common name started with a “Z” and also … I need to do things like this occasionally to keep myself cheery.

TBH some of the other Eternal references are even more obvious if you spot them … so my guilt is actually quite minimal. Unless someone ends up forcing me to change the spelling because someone complains to Matt about the guy being too cool.

(EDIT) Plus I’ve got a load more where this came from, and if I have to turn him into a lady Eternal called Em’Mah’Peal or recast him with a speech impediment and call him Jon Rambeaux, I will do it.

I renew my petition for El-Ahrairah, the Prince of a Thousand Enemies, to be an Eternal of Spring.

Never seen alone: always met amid a collection of heralds who take turns speaking, never letting you know which one (if any) is the real El-Ahrairah. If attacked they will scatter to the four winds and despite the casualties that the herd inevitably suffers ranging across all the expanse of Llofir and Yaw’nagrah, never has El-Ahrairah itself been taken. Theorist consider that the herd itself may collectively be El-Ahrairah, or else the name is a title given to the de-facto leader of the herd. The weak are left behind so that the strong can escape, meaning that by attacking it, you only make El-Ahrairah stronger (on average).
The Empire deals with it very little: the Way of Virtue disapproves of dealing with this Eternal who encourages personal survival over loyalty, pride or courage.
He/she/it may be taken with deserters and the survivors of massacres: offering Boons to enhance Endurance, but rarely fortitude (for it relies on others stopping to help). Perhaps Unstoppable or Second Wind, but never Stay with Me or Get it Together.

“All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.”

• Sorry, just needed a distraction from work for a moment.

[quote=“Andy Raff”]

(EDIT Plus I’ve got a load more where this came from, and if I have to turn him into a lady Eternal called Em’Mah’Peal or recast him with a speech impediment and call him Jon Rambeaux, I will do it.[/quote]

Ok; not complaining about eternal names. Ever.

[quote=“Vaan”]I renew my petition for El-Ahrairah, the Prince of a Thousand Enemies, to be an Eternal of Spring.
[/quote]

This Eternal should have his own lineage! Perhaps if he was Summer rather than Spring, we might see a whole new sub-breed of changeling?

This Eternal should have his own lineage! Perhaps if he was Summer rather than Spring, we might see a whole new sub-breed of changeling?[/quote]

I thought the general, First Rule of Lineage was: [size=200]NO FURRIES!!!11one!!![/size]. I may have omitted an expletive.

Prince of the Hares, rather than a rabbit?

This thread has helped me find a name for the Eternal-Codenamed-Yockenthwaite-On-The-Plot-Wiki. Irra Harah is not exactly a rabbit, but it helped gel some of the side-concepts for “The Spring Eternal who supports the Underdog.” Just waiting on other plot writers to say yay or nay and we might finally have a slightly sane Spring Eternal for people to talk to rather than just shout “WHATEVER! JUST TAKE THE SPIDERS AWAY FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!!” at

Awesome. Now shall he be forever El-Ahrairah in my head.

Dave… this is entirely your fault…

profounddecisions.co.uk/empi … Irra_Harah :smiley:

Yockenthwaite like the Rottentroll?

…how much for a ritual that builds a ski slope in a craggy part of the Marches? I am fine if it goes horribly wrong, I like horrific children’s puppets.

Surely trying to build an Ice rink for King Arthur is more Dawnish than Marches. I reckon we can use Yockenthwaites ability to see maps in 3d