Fake leather as medium armor question

Hello!

I’m planning on crafting my own kit for my first event this year. I was planning on using medium armor for my character. However I don’t want to use real leather both because of the animal reasons and cost.
I was thinking maybe skai fake leather glued onto a 2mm layer of high density EVA will add up to the 3mm thickness requirement for medium armor. Though I am not sure if it will be considered strong / good enough to pass for medium armor.

What are you guys’ thoughts?

Thanks in advance for the input and looking forward to my first event!

2 Likes

From the wiki:

Any cloth or leather that is less than 1.5mm thick counts as clothing, it does not count as armour at all. Costume made from foam or karrimat does not count as armour.

Your best bet might be to try and find suitable faux-leather that’s >3mm. What kind of armour are you planning on making?

Haven’t found any faux-leather yet of that thickness around here, not giving up though!
I was planning on making a chest piece / vest, a segmented armored right arm, upper armored left arm (as rest will be covered by shield) and shin armor.

I might just need to go for mail on my chest and use less but real leather for my arms / legs.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4MM-4-5MM-THICK-NATURAL-VEG-TAN-CRAFT-LEATHER-HIDE-B-GRADE-CHOICE-OF-SIZES-/183418059254

Just found this on ebay. The main issue with foam and carrimat backed stuff is paint doesn’t hold well, and when it wears it looks bad fast.

So Veg tan is still leather…

so the rules say -
"Medium Armour
•Thick leather or any lightweight armour materials, such as polyurethane or aluminium.
•Provides 3 extra hits and protects against CLEAVE.

Thick leather armour (the majority of the armour is more than 3mm thick) or any armour made from a light weight material such as polyurethane (e.g. Norton Armour), aluminium, or mixed neoprene and steel provides the wearer with 3 extra hits. Light mail, such as modern ring mesh (butcher’s mail) or mail with an open weave (sometimes called “ring mail”), counts as medium armour.

If the wearer is hit by a CLEAVE heroic blow that strikes a piece of medium armour rather than directly hitting the wearer then the target loses one hit but does not take any additional effects."

The problem your going to have is that thick non leather is likely to be more expensive than the real stuff. What are you looking to play as that would dictate what kind of armour id recommend. the other option is reach out online and see if anyone can loan you anything for your first event and see what there is in the field.

Yup! Veg tan leather is still animal leather - ‘veg tan’ refers to ‘vegetable’ material being used in the tanning process, as opposed to others, such as ‘chrome tan’, which uses chrome.

I’m not going to try and preach anything here, that’s not my intention, but I just wanna say that a lot of leather is a by-product of the food industry, and as such isn’t causing any additional harm. I completely understand not wanting to use it at all, though!

1 Like

The following may well be somewhat controversial and I’m not really sure how I feel about it but I do feel that your ethical position shouldn’t be an obstacle to your participation in an aspect of the game.

If ‘leather’ medium armour is a must (could you use steel or aluminium chain as an affordable alternative for mediim or heavy armours?) then you’re only real option is to create a suitably passable version of leather armour. By suitably passable I mean ‘do people notice that it’s not leather if you don’t point it out to them’. And by people I also mean weapons checkers and refs who might happen to casually look you over.

If you can make something that is ‘as good as’ leather armour in look and feel then I personally, as a fellow player who holds high expectations of other players kit effort, have no problem. If I can’t tell that you’re not actually wearing leather armour then it doesn’t affect my game.

However, should someone consider it a poor representation of real leather then you go back to square one and the rules, as pointed out above, are clear as to what can and can’t be used for armour.

Fake leather is cheap, foam is cheap, your time may or may not be cheap. Go for it, but do be prepared and happy to chalk it up as a failed experiment should it not pass muster.

Or buy some chain mail.

T

Thanks everyone for the input!
It’s not that it’s a hard no for me on using actual leather.
Just checking what is possible given my budget and wether or not there was an acceptable alternative.

In the end I’ll probably be using chain mail to cover my body and some leather or steel pieces of armor on my arms and legs to make the whole eastatically more pleasing. I’m a long time crafter of costumes and various other things so the making process is a lot of the enjoyment for me :slight_smile:

Thank you all for your help!

2 Likes

Ah sorry, That is a mistake on me. I though it was made with veg fibres.

Effective fake leather that will pass can be made as follows:

1. get cheap cotton cloth, cut to armour piece shape. Make 6 layers. Make another layer from faux leather (just checked, easy online buy for no more than 10 quid for 1 x 1.5 metres).
  2. slightly water down cheap PVA wood glue, in a disposable baking aluminium foil tray.
  3. plop the cloth layers one at a time into tray, smoodge glue into cloth, lay aside on flat area, building up layers. Rolling pin layers together.
  4. when starting to set but still a bit wet, slightly bend and shape armour piece to location. Set aside wedged and taped in shape to fully dry.
  5. get that stringy rubbery shoe repair glue, spread on inside of faux leather and outside of now dry piece. Glue together, shaping the elastic pleather over the piece. Don’t stretch, or elasticity of faux leather pulls piece out of shape. Use tape and clamps and books and door jambs to hold piece in shape whilst it fully dries.
  6. trim around and over exposed edges with a strip of felt or trim, glued on like the pleather was with shoe glue.
  7. assemble armour, drilling holes where needed for “pointing” to lace it together.

Finished armour is indistinguishable from leather, with the whole item covering up the crime … if a knowledgeable person examined an isolated piece, yes, they’ll tell. But altogether as an awesome piece of costume … you’ll be fine.

2 Likes