Hello! New to Empire and the Marches

Hello I’m new to Empire and LRP as a whole, I’m currently in the process of planning a costume and set of armour. I’m hope to craft my own trousers, shirts and hood but for the rest I’ll be buying it. These are some of the items I’ve outlined and was wondering if I could get some feed back on them, especially the boots as I’m torn on which ones I should get. The idea is to be a semi wealthy yeoman. I’m quite large though as well so sizing maybe difficult for me, I’m around 185kg.

Boots - mytholon.com/kostueme/schuhe … iefel?c=31
or mytholon.com/kostueme/schuhe … iefel?c=31

Gambeson - mytholon.com/ruestungen/pols … anvas?c=99

Chain Gloves - mytholon.com/ruestungen/kett … chuhe?c=58

Breast plate mytholon.com/ruestungen/plat … -kurz?c=51

Plate Collar - mytholon.com/ruestungen/plat … ragen?c=52

Kettle Helmet - mytholon.com/ruestungen/helm … enhut?c=44

Helmet Cushion - mytholon.com/ruestungen/pols … nvas?c=101

Halberd - mytholon.com/waffen/polsterw … rde?c=1199

Personally I’d go for the half boots, the full boots look too grand for a Marcher.

Unless you have in character reasons for the mail gloves and plate collar I’d dispense with them and look at vambraces and greaves instead to protect your forearm and calf, these will get hit more than your neck and hands.

Also look at Saxon Violence they do some very nice Halberds.

[quote=“Bill of Middleton”]Personally I’d go for the half boots, the full boots look too grand for a Marcher.

Unless you have in character reasons for the mail gloves and plate collar I’d dispense with them and look at vambraces and greaves instead to protect your forearm and calf, these will get hit more than your neck and hands.

Also look at Saxon Violence they do some very nice Halberds.[/quote]

Great :slight_smile: Something like this? mytholon.com/ruestungen/plat … blank?c=49

I’ll swap the breast plate for something like mytholon.com/ruestungen/plat … 91564&c=51 perhaps, little less flashy.

When creating a character should I choose any specific regions and such if I were to fight alongside you?

I don’t fight I just cast enchantments on fighters :stuck_out_tongue:

As for picking a region, don’t pick the Mournwold as we haven’t taken it back from the Jotun yet. Mitwold or Upwold are fine, Bregasland is too damp.

The original breastplate was fine as are the vambraces/greaves you’ve found. Have a look on the MArchers section on Empire Wiki, under costumes it has a list of other armour makers, buying from Mytholon could be expensive with the £ falling against the Euro.

[quote=“Bill of Middleton”]I don’t fight I just cast enchantments on fighters :stuck_out_tongue:

As for picking a region, don’t pick the Mournwold as we haven’t taken it back from the Jotun yet. Mitwold or Upwold are fine, Bregasland is too damp.

The original breastplate was fine as are the vambraces/greaves you’ve found. Have a look on the MArchers section on Empire Wiki, under costumes it has a list of other armour makers, buying from Mytholon could be expensive with the £ falling against the Euro.[/quote]

I’m quite stocky so I’m not sure if my original choice will fit me very well, plus I can’t spend to much. Do people use IC looking tents or are modern tents alright?

There’s out of character camping areas so you can sleep “off site”, the tents on site are all IC tents.

Thanks for all the help! I’ve applied to the Marches group on facebook, is there any others I should check out?

Once on there ask around for ideas on joining a household or setting up a house of your own. Some Houses have groups of their own.

Do you know anyone else who goes to Empire?

[quote=“Bill of Middleton”]Once on there ask around for ideas on joining a household or setting up a house of your own. Some Houses have groups of their own.

Do you know anyone else who goes to Empire?[/quote]

I don’t unfortunately, I just joined the New Player group on Facebook and they’ve been helpful, even invited me down to a practice session in Birmingham :slight_smile:

That’s the best way to meet people. I was fortunate enough to know someone who already went.