Highguard Camp Layout S3 E3 July 2015

Welp, that’s a lorra lorra tents. 76 in all, counting awnings. That’s an increase of 50% over last time, and (guessing) 30% over Easter.

Edit, Monday 20th: Thanks to the generosity of our neighbours and the swapping of Dawn for the slightly smaller Brass Coast, we have a revised plan, which has a bit more breathing room. There will be some overflow sleeping-tent space available in the Marches, but people using that will need to be quiet at night, since it’s adjacent to an area where there will be children sleeping. And now, I’m off to site.

docs.google.com/drawings/d/1LOq … sp=sharing

should link you to a gDrawing of the camp as I’ve managed to squeeze you all into it. Feel free to take copies of it and come up with a better solution, if you can… I tried turning it upside down (Bastion and Casinea on the north edge) but it didn’t work even as well as the one I present here. The guiding principles have been: keep the Territories together as much as possible; keep our “public service providers” (The Newt and Holy Smoke) near their public; keep the Chapel in the Territory of the season’s Chapelwardens; keep a bit of space free in front of the Chapel (in this case, to its West); tents that are mostly OC sleeping, I’ve pushed back and just tried to pitch them where you can get into them, with scant regard for group cohesion - it’s simply not possible to have everyone facing into a little circle and still fit everyone in.

Even if you don’t think you can improve on the general layout, if you want to wobble your own group’s tents around within their general deployment zone, knock yourselves out.

I look forward to seeing you clever peoples’ plans.

I have made a plea to our space-wastrel neighbours to squidge up a bit so we actually have room to breathe. If we can’t fit the tents in the spaces I’ve allowed, some tents that are simply there to save a walk to or from bed will have to go off into the OC camping field. If heavy winds arise, storm guys will be strung out a lot further in the cases of some tents, and care will be needed, even to navigate what should be the main street. I’m hoping we can thread any long guy lines needed into the draws between tents people won’t be walking between routinely.

As expected, there isn’t much space for fire pits with sensible safety margins. Perhaps we could have one big one in the open space in front of the Chapel. Not too big, mind; it’s still not that far away from any canvas.

On the flip side, there are a number of awnings, filling in what would be open, communal space in less-well-equipped Nations’ camps, so bear that in mind when you’re forming opinions about how much space we haven’t got.

I’m off to site Monday morning, coming back Weds night, late, returning for as early as possible on Thursday. If you want to move Felix’s Watch, It’ll have to be agreed before I leave on Monday. The rest can keep getting shuffled until Weds midnight or so. But I’m not sure there’s any better way of getting the litre into a pint pot…

So: go to. Find a better way for me that can at least claim some sort of concensus. Or don’t, and we’ll go with my stab :slight_smile:

[size=150]Casinea[/size]
Felix’s Watch (FW)
[ul]]5m x 7m Burgundian/:m]
]5m x 5m Marquee x 2/:m]
]5m dia Pavilion x 1/:m]
]4m Bell x 1/:m][/ul]
Storm’s Fury (SF)
[ul]]25ft by 30ft/:m]
]10ft by 6ft/:m]
]6ft by 4ft./:m][/ul]
Cantiarch’s Hold (CH)
[ul]]20ft * 20ft Army Marquee - Storm guys go out considerably further but can be tweaked according to need. This is the green square we used for the first two events./:m]
]14ft * 14ft Canvas Dining shelter - this is our usual cooking shelter probably 20 * 20 with the guys out./:m]
]6m Bell * 1(next to group tent)/:m]
]5m Bell * 2/:m]
]4m Bell * 1/:m]
]3m Bell * 1 (next to group tent)/:m][/ul]
[size=150]Bastion[/size]
Shattered Tower (Sh)
[ul]]PD double Garage Tent - (Booked in name of John Neal) + Attached 4m x 8m Awning/:m]
]PD Large Burgundian - (Booked in name of Matt Lyons) + Attached 4m x 3m Gazebo + 6m x 6m Awning/:m]
]4m Bell/:m]
]3m Bell/:m]
]2m x 3m Wedge/:m][/ul]
National Chapel (Chapel)
[ul]]PD rented Black and Gold Pavilion 5m dia. - Henry Sullivan/:m][/ul]
Reumah’s Redoubt (RR)
[ul]]5m bell x 1/:m]
]4m bell x 1/:m][/ul]
Cohort of the Winter Bear (CWB)
[ul]]One bell tent 5sx5m including guys/:m]
]One awning around 6x6m/:m]
]and fire pit area/:m][/ul]
Scions of Ravensfell (SoR)
[ul]]1 x 7m Bell /:m]
]4 x 4m Bells/:m]
]3 x 5m Bells /:m]
]1 x 6x6m awning/:m]
]1 x 3x2m storage tent/:m][/ul]
[size=150]Reikos[/size]
Sons of Couros (SoC)
[ul]]5m bell tent: hired by Luca Da Re from PD. IC camping for 1adilt, 1 child/:m]
]5m bell tent/:m]
]3m bell tent IC camping for 1 adult, 1 child/:m]
]7m x 5m marquee main IC tent/:m]
]5m x 5m marquee X 2/:m]
]3m x 5m Geteld. All for IC camping x 4/:m]
]Small cooking lean to/:m][/ul]
Unbound Chapter (UC)
[ul]]2 x 5-metre bell tents, with an estimated additional 1m each of guy space./:m]
]2 x 3-metre gazebos, preferably with good access to a thoroughfare./:m][/ul]

[size=150]Necropolis[/size]
Cenotaph (Cen)
[ul]]5m bell/:m]
]4m Bell x 2 /:m]
]3m Bell/:m]
]Marquee 10m by 13m plus guys I believe/:m]
]Ridge tent 7m by 4m no guys/:m][/ul]
Silent Tide (SiTi)
[ul]]4m bell x 9/:m]
]6x6m group tent/:m]
]fire pit area/:m][/ul]
Raven’s Watch (RW)
[ul]]PD rented 5m bell tent/:m][/ul]

Ok, Suns if Couros as follows: deep breath
5m bell tent: hired by Luca Da Re from PD. IC camping for 1adilt, 1 child
5m bell tent
3m bell tent IC camping for 1 adult, 1 child
7m x 5m marquee main IC tent
X2 5m x 5m marquee
X4 3m x 5m Geteld. All for IC camping
Small cooking lean to

We will have over 25 of us coming to this event so our IC footprint is larger to try to accommodate everyone.

There’s only six of us, so we’ve rented a 5m Bell Tent from PD. (that was me that put through the paperwork for that, it was)
Other than that, nowt!

[quote=“Jaci Fry”]There’s only six of us, so we’ve rented a 5m Bell Tent from PD. (that was me that put through the paperwork for that, it was)
Other than that, nowt![/quote]

It might help to specify which group you are. :slight_smile:

[quote=“Dre”]

[quote=“Jaci Fry”]There’s only six of us, so we’ve rented a 5m Bell Tent from PD. (that was me that put through the paperwork for that, it was)

It might help to specify which group you are. :slight_smile:[/quote]

The Raven’s Watch.

Hi, Jon of the Unbound here.

We will have:

2 x 5-metre bell tents, with an estimated additional 1m each of guy space.
2 x 3-metre gazebos, preferably with good access to a thoroughfare.

All of these form part of our IC business (which we intend to actually be able to run, this time).

Cheers Russ!

Aha! The new group, from what Tea says. Welcome, and thanks for the info. Which Territory (I orter know; I think it’s Territories: Bastion, Casinea, Reikos, Necropolis, I mean - we try and arrange things so each are camped together) are you from ?

okay I am debating what to bring as we should have more people this time.

I think the cenotaph will be
5m bell
4m Bell x 2
3m Bell
Marquee 10m by 13m plus guys I believe
Ridge tent 7m by 4m no guys

Though I may bring the marquee still which is 7m by 10m plus guys I will double check and update as realised we have some more bell tents

EDited and updated

Shattered Tower tents for E3:

PD double Garage Tent - (Booked in name of John Neal)

• Attached 4m x 8m Awning

PD Large Burgundian - (Booked in name of Matt Lyons)

• Attached 4m x 3m Gazebo
  • 6m x 6m Awning

4m Bell
4m Bell
4m Bell
4m Bell
3m Bell
2m x 3m Wedge

Scions of Ravensfell will have a few more tents this time:

1 x 7m Bell
4 x 4m Bells
3 x 5m Bells
1 x 6x6m awning
1 x 3x2m storage tent

Thanks
Andrea

No Hire Tents

20ft * 20ft Army Marquee - Storm guys go out considerably further but can be tweaked according to need. This is the green square we used for the first two events.
14ft * 14ft Canvas Dining shelter - this is our usual cooking shelter probably 20 * 20 with the guys out.

6m Bell * 1(next to group tent)
5m Bell * 2
4m Bell * 1
3m Bell * 1 (next to group tent)

These are the responses I’ve had so far. I Can’t see it changing much at all.

A

Necropolis is our home sweet home. :slight_smile:

Silent tide

9 various size bell tents or equivalent
6x6m group tent
fire pit area

Hi

Cohort of the Winter Bear

No hired tents

One bell tent 5sx5m including guys
One awning around 6x6m
and fire pit area

:smiley:

sorry for lateness, the same three as easter.
so a 25ft by 30ft, 10ft by 6ft, and 6ft by 4ft.
sorry for lateness again.

It would be interesting to know what square meterage per person is allocated for each nation when dividing up the fields.
This should be a known number and requirements easy to calculate due to the bookings for each event and map square meterage of the space available.

Other Nations all seem to have an allocated communal space (e.g duelling square, hearth circle) but Highguard couldn’t have this even if we wanted one. Why is this?

Perhaps the map needs to be rethunk completely for E4 as nothing seems to have changed since Tournament Stud - we are still being squashed into an uncomfortably small area. The map just highlights this.

To try and help I have asked the Ravensfell group if anyone would mind camping OC and two of the people using 4m bells have volunteered to do so and someone with one of the other 4m’s is willing to come into our 7m bell. We could also use part of the 7m for storage, so not need the storage tent. In total that would save 3 x 4m bell tents and 1 storage tent.
This would mean that if we rejigged our remaining tents, the Cohort of the Winter Bear could then relocate their awning and bell from the centre of the camp to an area between Ravensfell and Felix’s Watch (the area marked on the current map for the Ravensfell 7m bell with a 5m bell in front of it).

This would placate Tony as the thing that most upset him about the current layout was the fact that the Cohort blocks his shortest route to the Nissed Pewt!

Russ - Just let us know if this will help and I will pass on the details to the rest of the group.

Thanks for thinking of ways we can squeeze up, Andrea. Please keep it as a contingency. I’m sure Tony can slip in the back way to the Newt… :wink:

Things may be afoot regarding space; I don’t want to get specific until anything specific is decided. But I’m marking the field out on Monday, and pitching my Burgundian and stores tent, so I should know something by then.

I don’t believe there’s an “area per prebook” (though it might be a potential starting metric), but to be honest, I don’t think it’d help us. My gut feeling is that we bring rather more square metre of canvas footprint per head than most of the other nations. Our larger tents are larger than other nations, and we have, I think, more awning space than most, too. MattP says every nation is about 10-15% up in numbers for E3, as per standard in the summer jollidaze, but we have almost exactly 50% more tents (though probably not quite 50% more area of canvas plan), so it may well be that our space demands per head are higher than planned for.