How many bones is too many?

So I’ve put a few questions up on here about making gear for a new character. The idea is basically bones, and a lot of them.
But where do I draw the line? I don’t want it to put people off talking to me, I want it to make people curious and pull them over.

I think that’s somethign you need to experiment with and find out in play. It’s down to your character how many bones they wear. If they turn up looking like the Lord of Carrion and no one talks to them, that’s an in-character mistake.

1 Like

Are you playing Wintermark or Navarr? I would think the 'markers could getaway with more but the navarr could have loads but only really in battle.

From Wikipedia:

[the human skeleton] is composed of around 270 bones at birth – this total decreases to around 206 bones by adulthood after some bones get fused together.

So I’d say that if you go much over 200 it would imply multiple or child “donors”, which is probably too far.

1 Like

Well I don’t think I’ll ever get close to 200. :joy: they’re all animal bones that I’ve picked up along the way. The main piece is a large horse pelvis bone, which sits on my shoulders and chest as mage armour. Then along with this I’m making a non-battle staff. It has a skull on the top and I’m thinking of running a spine along the pole, the spine is kind of what I’m questioning the most.

Navarr battle mage, so I’ll have bones on me then, but minimal on most occasions.

Some people might consider being covered in a ridiculous number of bones to be a reason to talk to someone. Also it would be an identifying feature which would probably get you noticed quickly.

Thank you. That’s the plan. Just I know I’ve had one or two friends get complaints about using animal furs so I just wanted to get the general vibes around the topic. I’m sure it’ll be fine and certainly a talking point.

I guess with the bones their are less negative connotations as animals tend not to be reared purely for their skeletons

1 Like