IC bravo-ish insults

I need some inspiration for witty one liners to help me goad people into duels, anyone got any ideas? (obviously nothing that could be interpreted as OOC hostility)

larphacks.tumblr.com/post/104600 … -insulting is a good place to start; less specific examples, but a lot of useful Process

Cheers :slight_smile: whoreson mandrake is my new fave!!!

pangloss.com/seidel/Shaker/ might be right up your alley, then :wink:

Most of my stock consists of goading my opponent about their prick in relation to poor swordsmanship and implied poor sexual prowess, I need to stop reading Scott lynch XD

Could be difficult if you are calling out someone female or if you were uncertain of their gender…
Definitely good to be thinking about these things in advance!

1 Like

Yeah that has been an obvious flaw, snivelling guttersnipe is neutral. Please feel free to suggest other gender neutral insults.

I’m looking to this thread for inspiration myself! I’ve never really insulted anyone, usually what they are doing. “What the f do you think you are doing?” has got me out of assassination attempts twice.

I guess, what behaviour defines a bravo? Accuse them of being the opposite, perhaps? Same goes for any other nation or archetype. :slight_smile:

Some vague ideas:

Freeborn: dishonest, cheating, being easily led
Varushka: Somehow putting business before family? Actually, I think Varushkans are pretty hard to taunt. They’ll just give you a faint smile and know they are above you. Being unVigilant might be a good one though, lots of Varishkans are into Vigilance. And respecting their elders.
Dawn: underhand, selfish, that they were somehow elected or passed their test because of their family instead of individual merit, cowardly

Oooo. Gracias.

I have been trying to spread an insulting gesture.

Both hands, fold down thumb and little finger. Shake backs of remaining six fingers at opponent.

Do this with conviction and a scowl, and most people will understand the uncomplimentary nature.

Meaning is that the recipient is deficient in at least one Virtue, hence six fingers not seven.

Very useful in Conclave, where you can insult people without spending mana.

1 Like

Tell a Navarr to ‘get lost’ if you really want to get their back up.

I’d love to do the finger one, but I can’t use my left. That’s punny.

[quote=“Isca”]I have been trying to spread an insulting gesture.

Both hands, fold down thumb and little finger. Shake backs of remaining six fingers at opponent.

Do this with conviction and a scowl, and most people will understand the uncomplimentary nature.

Meaning is that the recipient is deficient in at least one Virtue, hence six fingers not seven.

Very useful in Conclave, where you can insult people without spending mana.[/quote]

That’s brilliant. I love it.

Oooo! When you take the Labyrinth into consideration as well that’s actually quite harsh IC while being pretty tame OC, I love that! :laughing:

“May your soul be forever lost…”

This is going from a slight goading to the chance of getting yourself killed by an entire nation or group

Tassato? You smell a bit Mestra to me!

Nice doublet, burlap shirt.

Is that rat fur on your hat?

(only to a human) What’s up? You look like you’re hearing your ancestors.

…except that in Empire there’s no stigma attached to being a whore, right?
So “whoreson” is no more insulting than “clerkson” or “smithdaughter”.

Given that the League archetype of Cicisbeo is at least strongly implied to encompass sex workers, it’s a bit of a nothing insult at best and enough of a gendered slur to be problematic within Empire.

Now on the other hand, as an OoC insult, I think ‘Clarkson’ does have a few negative connotations…

Yeah look at the date on this. I was very new to empire and i just found some cool old words. I have no ic or ooc issues with sex work and I don’t even play this character so its kinda moot