IDV Arrows

Hi

Just saw the update about IDV arrows being phased out. Are we able to get some more clarification on this as I know of a few people whose arrows are nearly all this type?

they will pass weapons check for this year but not from 2015 profounddecisions.co.uk/empi … n_checking

not a weapons checker or ref.

probably best give pd a e-mail if you want the reasons why for the ban

Note that it is specifically IDV teardrop arrows that are being phased out, as I believe there has been some confusion already with people assuming that eg golfball teardrop heads were affected when they aren’t.

they are banned in a lot of systems.

They can cause a lot more pain than the ones with soft foam heads. I personally like them as they are more accurate but I think having a level of health and safety is more important.

It’s only smooth IDV teardrop heads, not the dimpled golfball teardrop heads, and not the flat IDV heads.

Twisted flax are offering to part exchange any arrow with the banned IDV head for credit against new arrows with the heads that are still ok.

This email reply quoted from elsewhere gives a bit more detail.

On 21/07/2014 11:09, Chris Parr wrote:
Hi Matt,

Regarding the bow safety changes, is there going to be more detail on the Empire and Odyssey Wikis about the reasoning and exactly what is covered by the changes?

I am not a weapons-checker, but I believe that it is a combination of factors with the IDV arrows, the tear-drop head allows a much faster flight speed, but the single grade of foam causes a much heavier hit and the small circumference makes it easier to hit eyes. Coupled with the issues around flights coming off and problems with the heads coming off in some cases, we have decided to exclude these arrows.

There isn’t really much more detail to go into, it is a safety decision that we have taken because we have simply had too many eye injuries some of which have been very serious. We have to tighten the rules and so I have taken the advice of my weapons check team and sought to exclude the worst offenders coupled with a policy of tightened enforcement of the rules. If that doesn’t resolve the problem, we will widen the ban to include other arrows.

It just seems a little odd that the one arrow out there with liability insurance and warranty attached is the one getting banned.

While these things sound impressive, most of the time they are mandated by law, the fact that one manufacturer has them is simply because they are of a size to have bothered checking about the laws that control sale of almost anything to the public. It is not an indication that these arrows are safe.

Matt Pennington,
PD.

My partner runs Twisted Flax, and she is a full-time professional fletcher. We make arrows with traditional flat heads and also the tapered “golf heads” which are still good for PD and have just been approved by CP as well. We are offering disappointed owners of IDVs a part-exchange for a discount at Twisted Flax of £2.50 each.

Golf heads are made of a (blue or grey) soft moulded foam with no coating. They have a flexible inner stop. IDV teardrops are rubbery black foam and hollow inside.

We make all our arrows to order, and we have a range of different shaft choices and can do custom flight shape and colour, with or without binding.

Please PM me or email jess@twistedflax.com for more details, or see facebook.com/TwistedFlaxKit

I understand entirely the need to ensure health & safety where archery & arrows are concerned, but as an archer who has invested fairly heavily in IDV arrows - this ruling is going to hit me hard financially to have to replace my arrows.

In my experience, the IDVs have been safer than the flat-head foam arrows that preceded them - and I’ve seen countless foam-headed arrows at Empire flying with ripped heads and broken shafts. The exposed foam just seems too fragile and susceptible to damage. Having switched to the IDVs as much for durability as for performance, I’m not all that happy about the possibility of switching back.

I’m not trying to argue for keeping the IDV arrows - the decision is made and I will, of course, abide by it. I am concerned, however, by the need to replace a full quiver of arrows with a potentially inferior set, and all the while wondering if they’ll be banned only a short time later.

Are there any particular arrow styles that are specifically endorsed by PD weapons checkers so that archers can replace their IDVs with a modicum of confidence that they will remain permissible and useful for a reasonable period of time?

[quote=“DHosein”]I understand entirely the need to ensure health & safety where archery & arrows are concerned, but as an archer who has invested fairly heavily in IDV arrows - this ruling is going to hit me hard financially to have to replace my arrows.

I am concerned, however, by the need to replace a full quiver of arrows with a potentially inferior set, and all the while wondering if they’ll be banned only a short time later. [/quote]

Have you tried golf heads? They have the same aerodynamic shape and fly well. See my post just above yours.

I’ve tried the golf heads, and would be happy to replace IDVs with those in terms of performance as finances allow.

My concern is that in terms of size/shape… the golf heads aren’t so different from IDVs. I know they are approved by PD for now, but can we say with any confidence that they will remain so, should the IDV ban not result in the intended improvement in safety (or even BECAUSE the IDV ban has the intended improvement)?

Replacing all our arrows isn’t going to be cheap, even with the discount offered by Twisted Flax… and while I’m willing to go through it, certainly for safety reasons, It would be nice to have some assurance that we wont have to do it again on a year or so’s time.

Your best bet regarding that is to have a chat with Chalkie et al at Weapons Check this weekend - they’ll be most informed and the most likely to be able to give you a useful call.

Personally, my suspicion is the golf-ball heads will be fine for a long while, they’re excellent designs and good construction.

Dude £2.50 an Arrow from Twisted Flax. Even on a tight budget that’s doable over winter.

Maybe I misunderstood the offer…?

I thought it was a £2.50 discount per arrow, not a £2.50 price per arrow…

[quote=“DHosein”]Maybe I misunderstood the offer…?

I thought it was a £2.50 discount per arrow, not a £2.50 price per arrow…[/quote]

You were right:

So an IDV is worth £2.50 in part-exchange. (I think Twisted Flax will re-use the shafts and maybe the nocks.)

So am I safe to assume IDV are banned from 2015 and am safe to purchase golf ball head type ??

The blue golf ball ones are fine.

Another option is just buying the golfball heads, and replacing the heads on your IDVs (I know it’s what I’m doing)

I’ve had my IDVs fail because the flights were loose and could slide up and down the shaft. It seems to happen with those sleeve-fletchings a lot. They tend to slide a long way forward when the arrow strikes.

Fixable with tape or glue, of course.