I have a somewhat limited view of this as I only see what comes through the Synod officially, but I’ve not personally seen anything like you describe.
(On a side note, you could will argue that the 9 Inquisitors are supposed to be engaging in witch hunts!)
Looking back over the Sanctions for last event, we have:
- 6 Vindications (this person’s alright)
- 0 Castigations (this person did a bad, boo)
- 0 Condemnations (this person did a big bad religious crime)
- 4 Penances (this person did a bad, here’s what they need to do better/to atone)
Looking into those Penances:
- Zephaniah’s Lament are bad because they screwed over the League by trashing half their cities, they need to do stuff for the League
- Nessetta had a ring that someone else hallowed to Vengeance, it’s not her fault
- The Withering Gaze didn’t make Vengeance auras, but they didn’t so anything to get rid of them, which is bad
- Brat has strong opinions about briars, but he’s not completely wrong, so he should go around and explain his point of view
Two of those are about things that could have been overt religious crimes (creating Vengeance auras), one is about large-scale PvP which was featured in Winds of Fortune, and the last was about a very controversial Judgement.
And notably, in those four cases, the Synod whinged about people’s behaviour, but had no direct power to enforce the Penance short of pulling out another power like Condemnation or Revocation.
There may be a fair amount of religious pressure outside of the Synod itself to punish unvirtuous behaviour, but social influence is the Synod’s main power - it can’t punish people directly without expending quite a lot of effort.
What sort of punishments are you seeing handed out for unvirtuous behaviour? I’m quite interested in this topic for a number of reasons!