Kit Maintenance Armour and Weapons

I have now finally purchased a decent weapon and steel plate armour at empire however I am ignorant as to how to maintain these items. I am aware that larp weapons require a latex spray a few times a year and that metal armour must be cleaned and oiled to prevent rust.

Is there any tips and methods that anyone may have for these processes or any links to particular products that they can vouch for and have had positive results with?

Any help greatly appreciated.

1 Like

For latex weapons you need silicon spray, not latex spray. However the exact type I cannot tell you.

For plate, you can clean and protect it with basic WD40 oil, but it’s much better to use mineral oil and a specific armour wax like this stuff.

1 Like

I use Joker 440 synthetic spray to keep my plate oiled, the good thing about it is that it doesn’t degrade leather straps and the like.

2 Likes

If anyone has any recommended brands of silicon spray for weapons, I’m all ears as my swords definitely need some!

1 Like

The Silicon Spray from Screwfix is fine.

3 Likes

This stuff?

1 Like

Yep. You only need a light coating.

3 Likes

I just went to get some of this from Screwfix. It is, btw, buried in their catalogue in underground drainage…

Testing currently underway.

I also had this discussion:

“I want this to use on Live Action Role-Play weapons?”

Sales guy 1: “Is that like Larping?”

Sales guy 2: “I saw a documentary on that. It was awesome!”

5 Likes

Autosol metal polish is fantastic for cleaning armour up - My clank came back from E3 with a surprisingly large amount of rust on it and I got most of it off without much effort. It leaves a protective layer, too.

1 Like

For any plate armour, before and after an event always double check all rivets and buckles to ensure nothing has moved or become loose. If it uses leather strapping to connect plates ensure any leather is allowed to fully dry so it doesn’t mold, and then are cared for with a leather wax (there’s lots of variants, I tend to use dubbin as it’s cheap and readily available), to ensure the leather doesn’t stiffen and crack.

1 Like

Anyone know if this is an acceptable silicon spray for use on weapons?
https://www.diy.com/departments/floplast-silicone-spray-0-04l/1285934_BQ.prd

Okay, need someone who’s done this to confirm or deny…

Would a suitable non-flavoured silicone based lubricant (yes, the stuff that’s reasonably body safe and goes onto toys of an adult nature) work? Mostly asking based on availability and the fact I’ve seen someone on another LRP site suggest it as an accessible ‘protect your smacking stick’ thing.

And I kinda want to see if anyone else has used it before it gets to the point where I’m needing to lavish TLC on any of my kit.

Someone I know used to use the sex lube rather than the DIY lube on the weapons he made, yes.
As a side note, I recommend getting a couple of big silica gel packs to go in with your kit, especially if you’re storing a lot in a box, so ventilation might be poor. . I use them because even dry kit can accumulate small amounts of condensation from temperature changes, and I have had leather go mouldy that way before.

1 Like

For plate, I suggest protecting it with paint.
I gather that was one of the most common options historically, and it can look really good, depending on what colour-scheme etc. you choose.

Unprotected steel can rust scarily fast: I remember some spending a few hours in the rain followed by perhaps three hours in a car, and well before the end of the journey it was dry and all covered in spots and streaks of rust.

1 Like

Otherwise, for protecting steel and also being good for leather (or at least not bad for it) I’ve read good things about Joker (mentioned above) and ACF-50 (somewhat similar) and also about lanolin-based stuff, e.g. “lanoguard” brand. (Lanolin itself has the consistency of vaseline or soft grease, but it’s different from those chemically.)

It might be that some or all of these are bad for latex, though probably not as bad as WD40 or mineral oil… but an experiment would be the way to be sure: a dab on a rubber glove or a condom, and perhaps compare with something known to be bad for it (like oil or petroleum-jelly).