- Use what you have got - if you have a valuable oc skill that equates to an Ic thing leverage that. Prime examples here are writing, music and art. But you could widen this - teaching IC the fine art of Bladework or any number of IC mentorships would all work.
This is the best way to make money. You are investing your skill in this one.
- Use your time and/or oc cash - tea shops, bars and other such establishments can make an excellent revenue stream but that is only ever in exchange for the most valuable thing you have which is your IC time. They often have an OC cost too, but it is quite possible to minimise that through your OC time baking or brewing. This is all about investing your time, IC and OC.
This is the best way to make money. Time is something everyone has and you have ensured you have a “thing” to do on the field that will cause you to meet and rp with lots of people.
- Find a niche. It might be you are the Empire’s foremost expert on Apples. You can make that your baby, you can literally write the book on it. Or perhaps you are willing to spend hours digging through the wiki looking for every reference to dire penguins. Your knowledge and patience with the obsessions of some of the setting writers is worth something. Making the definitive guide on something is saleable.
This is the best way to make money. Whenever your pet subject comes up you can make money and provide game for yourself. You might get called as an expert witness to the Senate, or get a judgement to support your teachings through the Senate. All are good game.
- Specialise in Trade - find a single commodity/consumable and try to be a real player in that market. You might decide that because your group has a few mana sites but no ritualists that you want to leap into that. Work out the field price, work out your price. Buy up the mana you find cheap, sell under the price of the moe expensive readers you find. Become the GOTO for emergency mana needs. Make mana and empower the Empire.
This is the best way to make money. Specalising gives a very real, and very achievable goal that is all about taking your commodity in and selling out with a margin attached meaning every single transaction makes you future profit or realises that profit. Ride the margin wave and feel every ripple in your market, all the while roleplaying with loads of people loaded with game themselves. The fun never ends.
- Dedicate your game to the commodities. Why would you specialise when you can reap the profits from every market. Run a ledger, attend auctions, watch the senate decisions. Every single conversation could render you a little more profit, every overhead discussion on political or military matters offer you an opportunity. By playing across multiple markets you can switch to the needs present and ensure you are always making an edge. Your boot leather, your smile and your meticulously kept ledger will mean there is always a little coin to be made if you want to.
This is the best way to make money. Every wind of fortune creates a space for you to make money, or spread the largesse if you want to appear philanthropic, and every ambition of every player on the field has the chance to make game for you.
There are other ways of course, including being a Senator, getting a big sack of cash to spend on building an army and running away to an Asavean holiday spot with it, but these felt like they keep you in game, rather than leaving it