Making my first ranger costume

I have quite high expectations for my first costume, i’m aware. But i also have many months to make it! I have included the image of what I would like to base the costume on and was hoping you all could give me some advice and some how to’s to get ever closer to making the costume i’d want.

Good look!
Iconic Navarr kit is greens and browns, a bit of black is fine but avoid using it as a main colour.
Having some skin showing is useful, so people can see your tattoos.
Do you plan to make your own leather armour, buy or borrow?

[quote=“Isca”]Good look!
Iconic Navarr kit is greens and browns, a bit of black is fine but avoid using it as a main colour.
Having some skin showing is useful, so people can see your tattoos.
Do you plan to make your own leather armour, buy or borrow?[/quote]

I’ll break it up with more autumn colours :slight_smile: not sure where i’d show the flesh. Maybe when i’m unhooded?
I was probably going to buy my own leather armour because I have no idea how to make it.

Yeah to be that image doesn’t say Navarr Thorn to me as much as it does Highborn Unconquered.

I second the issue with the colour palette, greens and greys rather than hard black, I’d also suggest dropping the hood, a Navarr should be showing off their tattoos, after all your tattoos are your defining oaths.

secondly I’d say add a bit more fur trim, a bit more decoration. especially around the shoulders.

Also practically think about how hot your outfit is going to be for running in during the summer events as well as how cold you’ll get during the earlier events and at night.

[quote=“Ricohard”]Yeah to be that image doesn’t say Navarr Thorn to me as much as it does Highborn Unconquered.

I second the issue with the colour palette, greens and greys rather than hard black, I’d also suggest dropping the hood, a Navarr should be showing off their tattoos, after all your tattoos are your defining oaths.

secondly I’d say add a bit more fur trim, a bit more decoration. especially around the shoulders.

Also practically think about how hot your outfit is going to be for running in during the summer events as well as how cold you’ll get during the earlier events and at night.[/quote]

I’m quite the fan of the outfit and also love the colour so not massively wanting to change it. Perhaps it would be best for me to change to a highborn character then?

If you told me you were Navrri. I would believe you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have a look at profounddecisions.co.uk/empi … nconquered and see if you like that kind of character. :slight_smile: Navarr and Highguard are very different cultures. Getting the balance between the look you want and the the style of play you want is a good route to having fun. :slight_smile:

Beyond the costume do you have an idea of what kind of thing you want to do at the game and during Skirmishes and Battles?

Unconquered and Navarr are both mainly skirmishers and involve being fast on your feet, however in general in the large battles blocs of Navarr tend to charge round the battlefield doing hit and run tactics while the unconquered archers and others usually stick in support of various large formation of HG heavies. They do things like sally out of the wall and also guard the flanks.

Oh there’s a question are you planning to use a bow at all? They take a bit of practice to use well and there is a certain cost involved in arrow loss and breakage. However if you can pull it off and know when to run you can have a lot of fun dropping most barbarian orcs on the field (you’ll need to learn to spot the unsporting ones in heavy armour though).

I’d also agree with Laura, have a read of the two culture briefs as they are very different styles of game. If you’ve got any questions about Highguard though please ask as I can help, having had two characters there :slight_smile:. Just start a new thread on the subject with any questions.

[quote=“Mark_Wilkin”]Beyond the costume do you have an idea of what kind of thing you want to do at the game and during Skirmishes and Battles?

Unconquered and Navarr are both mainly skirmishers and involve being fast on your feet, however in general in the large battles blocs of Navarr tend to charge round the battlefield doing hit and run tactics while the unconquered archers and others usually stick in support of various large formation of HG heavies. They do things like sally out of the wall and also guard the flanks.

Oh there’s a question are you planning to use a bow at all? They take a bit of practice to use well and there is a certain cost involved in arrow loss and breakage. However if you can pull it off and know when to run you can have a lot of fun dropping most barbarian orcs on the field (you’ll need to learn to spot the unsporting ones in heavy armour though).

I’d also agree with Laura, have a read of the two culture briefs as they are very different styles of game. If you’ve got any questions about Highguard though please ask as I can help, having had two characters there :slight_smile:. Just start a new thread on the subject with any questions.[/quote]

Hi Mark, Thanks for replying.

In battle I think i would prefer the unconquered style of play, i’m very athletic and light on my feet so I think a skirmish type of combat would suit me perfectly.

I am planning to use a bow, yes. I have done a fair bit of real world archery which i know is quite different but i’m hoping some of the skills will partially translate. Also hoping my military background will help with the tactical side of things!

I read over the culture brief of the HighGuard and feel my character does fit in quite well there. To the extent that I have even written up a character backstory that i hope is appropriate. Perhaps you could have a look?

I wouldn’t sweat the background bit too much, as long as it’s on brief and gives you plenty of reasons to do stuff in uptime in Anvil you should be fine. Also if you want to update your background after event 1 that’s fine, if you’re worried have a quick chat with the player support team in the Hub between 4-6pm on the Friday. I can also recommend this in general along with getting introduced to the Highguard Egregores when you hit time in. Hope you have a great time :slight_smile:.

Also just as an aside, do be aware than Anvil is mostly safe, so not many people wander around in their full battle kit, you may want to check if you are happy with your look without your armour on also.

If you are going for Highguard then picking a chapter symbol and adding that either as a tabard or belt tag to your non battle kit would make you definitely highborn unconquered and less likely to be mistaken for anything else if that helps.

Look forward to meeting you on the field.