Naming resources

Thinking about personal resources, I used to have a business and then switched to a fleet a while back. However, I never came up with “names” for these things - if someone asked about my shop, I’d have been able to tell them what I sold, but not what it was called. Same for my ship now - I can say where I sail, but not what the ship’s name is.

So I’m curious - do other people out there “name” their personal resources? If so, how did you go about choosing one?

I’ve named some of my resources- my old character’s Fleet was a single large-bellied ship, which ended up being called the Portly Hakima as a bit of a bad pun. I had a short interim character with a Congregation called the Peatlamp Chapel. Current character has an MU, but it’s a lot harder to name them as they’re just bands of people rather than things.

1 Like

My military unit is defined as being the 4th and 5th Light Lances of the 2nd Column of Adina’s Charge. I have names and a bunch of known shenanigans for most of them, including Watchmaster Rachel, Lance-Jack Lilith, and the infamous Lancer Jezebel.

2 Likes

I all ready had an idea in my head for my character. He was going to be a Miner from the Bristly Hill Mine.
The more I’ve learn’t about Empire the more I’ve added to the resource background. The mine is in the Ore Hills, in the Mournwold.

I still haven’t settled on a character name yet :grinning:
Hopefully, e2 next year will be my first event.

1 Like

My Congregation is just my group, so if asked my answer would the Great Library of Ankarien.

1 Like

I can tell quite a story by now about my broken shrouded tower in the Barrens, but Morien has never named it.

1 Like

My old business was one I brought to the field, Pigeon Promulgation. Now my mana site is named Nonesuch Hill because I figured I should know the name of the place I live.

1 Like

Not played yet, but because the Spire my character is from is costal (so too saline for some of the apothecary herbs, too cool for others, too wet for most) a lot of their herbs are grown in hot house/glass houses

Which has led to me just short handing them as ‘Hot Houses’

Not a very fancy name, but it works

1 Like

Oh yes. Definately.

My first character had a Herb garden, which was the Green Courtyard, being entirely within a castle keep courtyard. It was visible on the Lego model of our group’s castle :slight_smile:

My second character had a fleet, as did his house. We had the Flashing Blade, the Virtuous Sunrise, the Starchaser, and the Furious Beast. Led by our flagship, the Silver Serpent. Each with their own histories, capabilities, and battlefield roles.

My third and current character had a mana site which was the Crystal Cleft, and has recently swapped for a military unit, the low-combat Open Hand (“We will not contest with the enemy directly. But wherever a knight falls, there will be an Open Hand there to catch them…”).

I play in Dawn. We name everything that doesn’t move fast enough. Seriously, we’ve a .doc on the FB page which detailed descriptions of every fleet and military unit…

…it’s not just me :smiley:

2 Likes

I don’t name my resources but I do have some characters in my congregation and some general backstories of where they came from. Renata’s fleet had a story about how she acquired it.

1 Like

My fleet is a ship called Atun’s Gift, as appropriate for a Highborn seafarer.

2 Likes

My character’s herb garden doesn’t have a name as such - he bought a run-down villa in a village near Siroc, fixed it up and planted the garden in the land adjacent to it.

If I had to name it for some reason, then it would be the Mazzarine Spiral (owing to its layout and the plant that grows at its centre).

1 Like

My farm is called Honour’s End, Boar’s Rest, Wolves Lair and lots of other things that the local villagers wouldn’t dare say to my face :grin:

1 Like

My Mana site is a side effect of a magical field that lights our subterranean geothermal bathing lake at the Chapter house.

It doesn’t have a name but I can tell you all about it and how our bathing lake is much nicer than everyone elses.

2 Likes