New player- character concept

I’m a super new player to empire, me and a few friends are looking at probably joining (and going dawn) from e1 of next year, know it’s a long way out but we’re really excited and trying to get as much of our stuff ready now as we can

I’ve been through the wiki a lot, I’m by no means an expert on anything empire but I think I’ve found a fair few bits of play that I would be interested in but the sort of story I’m hoping to tell for my character probably works better if it’s tied in with an already existing house

My concept is somewhat stolen from a previous character concept I have seen on here for a dishonoured nobleman, but the response they were given is what really motivated the character

So what I’m thinking for my character is that they were a noble in one of the houses but failed a test of resolve and has been expelled from the house. I have done two years imperial service with one of the dawnish armies and now I’m looking to make a return to nobility, motivation wise I think something like loving someone who is a noble and it being easier to marry if I’m also noble might work but unclear on that yet. Obviously doing a test of mettle again is almost impossible or fatal and I think that idea really appeals to me but it would work better if I have the buy in of a noble house willing to make this sort of story with me

To summarise
Is this an acceptable character concept and are there any houses that want to join in this sort of play and set me an nigh impossible test of mettle

What I’m trying to say is that a bunch of that sounds like interesting story; so don’t it in your back-plot. Up-time that thing. Start as nobility and then achieve disgrace.

When I started my current character I knew that I wanted to end up playing a character that had gone against the guidelines of one of the virtues, but ended up extolling that virtue. Sure, I could have done this by writing all of that in the back-story. Instead they turn up at their first event and they grub about for every coin they could get, they were the much despised miser for a few events, and that was fun.

1 Like

I’m awfully new to LARP as well, but without so many convenient friends (yet, heh heh) who want to come with me. I was also thinking of joining the Brass Coast. But anyway, this sounds like a great character concept, but to build on the current advise, I’d suggest focussing more on the personality of the character than the backstory. That’s the bit you’ll actually have to act out, after all. For example, perhaps your character has some kind of tragic flaw which might cause such a disgrace? Ambition would be a common one. Or maybe they want to prove themselves to their comrades, setting a higher bar of nobility for themselves than anybody else. Yet their desire to prove themself causes them to cut corners, which in turn contradicts their nobility. You might even have it that their disgrace is at least partly self-imposed as a result of such high personal standards being broken.

Thank you both so much for your critical thinking
You both raise the point of making your characters story rather than writing it, which is really helpful as I think I’ve been viewing that wrong
Instead I’ll put the focus on ‘what sort of character would be or a disgraced noble’ rather than being one and look to make it a possibility through play
I’ll keep a couple of bits and pieces in there and then maybe add a few events that shaped the personality of the character and grow from there until I really get to know who the character is
I really like the idea that it’s a self perceived virtue that leads to their downfall

1 Like

No problemo. Call your character Gawain if it’s a man; it’s a reference to medieval epic poetry XD nobody will see it comin’. I can’t make it to the next Empire event, but hopefully at the event after that I’ll be able to play the character I’ve been planning. He’s a young freeborn who had been raised in a family that was once one of daring corsairs but have since brought some mines in Feroz and settled into stagnant tranquility. My own character wouldn’t outwardly have a problem with this and his family would be happy when he learns how to become an artisan. However, secretly, the character would also long for an existence like the stories he was told from his old Corsair parents. He goes to Anvil in an attempt to ply his trade, but more importantly to try and seek out the old adventurous lifestyle of his ancestors. At the same time, although he can dream about green fields and rolling oceans, the character is also quite risk-adverse, the kind of person who ironically thrives in a heavily ordered environment. He aspires to join the militia, thinking it would prove adventurous enough to satisfy his consciousness which also not been too dangerous. In his spare time, when not crafting magical enchantments, the character would also write short crime mystery stories which he sends into the library; a safe outlet for his desires that don’t involve him getting killed in a real adventure.
But, then again, there are a lot of things that can happen to a young chump on the streets of Anvil that might not be so safe and sound after all XD

So Empire is a game which is quite heavy on hard skills (what you can do), and I find quite a lot of new players take a while to adjust to the skills it requires (and there is quite a complicated game.) To be regarded as nearly impossible in Dawn you might be presented with a test that you might not even have a plan to start on before your character dies, or one that might legitimately take you years.

That isn’t saying don’t go for it, just understand than OOC failure at it is very likely.

One thing I would say is the Golden Rule of LARP characters is have their most important arc happen in uptime. I actually think that coming in as a disgraced noble is still sticking to that. While telling the story of the Test of Resolve in play is an option to consider, (personally it feels a bit scripted for my tastes - but everyone has their own tastes on that) it will mean you have less control over the story and are more likely to receive something utterly impossible.

If you do start disgraced then that it’s worth really thinking about what the test of resolve was for, the less negatively you come across in the story the more likely you are to get a test that is actually possible.

I would suggest trying to flesh out what is the central conflict that did/will lead to your disgrace (This needn’t necessarily be a character flaw) but it’s a big central part of the character.

@Greenwood are you aware that the home of many of the big Corsair families has just been invaded by the Grendel, it feels like something that might generate you fun Roleplay when you do turn up to an event

1 Like

I know : ( RIP Free Landing. Oh woe the irony of the free capital clapped in chains - why must the Salty pirates torment us poor Brass Coastians so? XD

I was thinking of making that into the catalyst for prompting my half-hearted adventurer into action

1 Like

Yeah 100% fully aware that it would be something that the character may never complete, or die, or take years to make any headway in, I think that’s what appealed to me the most about it. The fact that it would be no small feat if I was successful and I felt it really buys into the ‘trying and failing is more glorious than not trying at all’ element of dawn.
Lots to think about, whether it’s worth creating a character that is set up to fall and then beginning that arc or trying to come up with a test of resolve scenario that paints him as less damned and more just in a period of disgrace

While he’s at it, your character fellow could relax with a smashing short detective story in the library XD. Even tragic heroes have gotten kick back some time.