Shoes/Boots

Whilst my last years boots were perfectly acceptable, I find myself feeling as if replacements might help with the relentless improvement of kit. Anyone got any recommended sources of IC footwear that won’t break the bank (preferably less than £50) and will stand up to the ahem variable conditions that Empire has thrown at us? I don’t take the battlefield but would like them to be able to stand up to a reasonable amount of punishment.

Most historical footwear will either need a modern sole (not that easy to come by) or will need an accompanying set of pattens (cool, very authentic but not cheap unless you make them yourself).

However if you are not going full out authentic, then there are some tutorials showing how to cover modern shoes.
Something like this might suit.

forums.armourarchive.org/phpBB3/ … p?t=119267

I bought some IC ankle boots for £45 cash in hand at a re-enactment market. Thick leather soles, so you have to get used to walking on grass in them, but they serve well enough.

Invest in Sealskinz and the weather will be no concern.

re-enactment-shoes.co.uk/

And this :sunglasses:

Yeah, am already a convert to sealskinz.

Are the boots at that link decent quality, Nik? If so, then I might just stump up the cash for a pair.

Mine are B15 from there, although in a dark brown and bought through a different trader. I believe it’s a case of several sellers reselling the same product, though, so I’m fairly confident in saying good quality and the sizing runs pretty true.

[quote=“John”]
Are the boots at that link decent quality, Nik? If so, then I might just stump up the cash for a pair.[/quote]

I’ve got a pair of the bear-paw shoes and they’re good quality.

Unfortunately, having spoken to Tod at Foxblade there’s an 8 week wait for stock. He’s offered to stick some on back order for me, but I’m aiming to have the new boots before the next event. I was pointed to CP-Shoes in Germany (shop.strato.de/epages/61580448. … 58bc793b6/?) by someone on the FB costume group and they look like they do shoes that will work. I particularly like that some of theirs have rubber soles, allowing me a bit of modern comfort with my footwear.

I’ve ordered a pair of their shoes and will pop back to this thread after they arrive with a bit of an update.

Did those CP-Shoes work out for you? I’ve been eyeing up some of their “larp” grade stock for a while…

I might have to check out the CP shoes. Look exactly what I was looking for…

As a budget option I always recommend something like this: shoezone.com/Mens/Boots/Safe … -Tan-58521

Cover (or remove) any modern makers’ labels and you’re good to go - plus they have steel toe-caps, which are always nice for LARP!

I suspect this is going to prove a pretty fruitless request as I think I’ve been pretty thorough in my own search… but does anyone know of anywhere that does any appropriate looking non-leather boots? I keep thinking I’ve found some and then they turn out to have dirty great zips in them.

thevikingstore.co.uk/fantasy … -174-c.asp

Most of the cheaper options (i.e. anything priced under about £50) will be PU synthetic leather rather than real leather. The “Male and Unisex” page is more appropriate for Empire (most of the specifically womens shoes are steampunk rather than medieval fantasy)

Assuming Google translate isn’t having a funny five minutes (always possible!) a lot of the boots on the CP-Shoes “LARP Schuhe” page linked above are fake leather as well (the translation comes up as “PU Leather Textile” which basically means synthetic)

[quote=“Anwar”]Fantasy Footwear - TheVikingStore.co.uk

Most of the cheaper options (i.e. anything priced under about £50) will be PU synthetic leather rather than real leather. The “Male and Unisex” page is more appropriate for Empire (most of the specifically womens shoes are steampunk rather than medieval fantasy)

Assuming Google translate isn’t having a funny five minutes (always possible!) a lot of the boots on the CP-Shoes “LARP Schuhe” page linked above are fake leather as well (the translation comes up as “PU Leather Textile” which basically means synthetic)[/quote]

Yup, if they’re Pleaser and listed as PU they’re synthetic, the weirdest part is I went onto the company that makes them’s site and didn’t see anything… I think I just got overwhelmed by the cogs stuck on almost everything. Thank you!