Spell vocals

I’m starting this here as the Rules for spell vocals just say “there should be some” and “people near you should hear”.

This sounds as if e.g. one can just slap a chap on the shoulder and shout “HEAL” for 10 seconds and there they are, all better.
Are there any more extensive spell vocal styles in use.
Are there any you’ve heard that you like or dislike?
Is any theme “in” or “out” ?

I rely heavily on hearth magic and the different power sources.

My general go-to format is something like:

“I invoke Rune X, Y, Z, and the constellation of the great wyrm to affect-you-want-to-achieve

Then make a cut across the hands of anyone involved.

With magic you are basically always trying to transform something in some way, so as I’m a night mage calling on the constellation of the great wyrm can be used for basically anything (especially if you are not highguard or otherwise anti-lineage).

I’ll embellish and refine anything that I cast a lot, but that’s the rough template I use, especially if I haven’t prepared some vocals specifically.

Minor aside:
I. Love. Healing. By. Spilling. Blood.
Its the reason I went Navarr, and the look in some non-naavarri eyes as they get hit in the chest with an arrow, fall back and see a heavily tattoo’d chap pulling a blade on them saying “don’t worry mate, I’ve got ya” is fantastic.

There are a lot of more interesting ways to do it than “heal heal heal heal heal;” it may be technically allowed but I’d strongly suggest finding something cooler to do.

My current go-to is putting a bit of cloth over where the wound is, tracing the rune Rhyv on it and saying a load of stuff about binding the wound and the rune of the wound together; it ends “this rune, Rhyv, is your wound,” then I take the cloth away and tell them there are no wounds on them.

If I get round to playing a Highborn mage, I’ll be more likely to shout things about my triumphant human spirit shackling the powers of magic to my will.

If you’re after some ides for a specific character, what nation are they from?

One of the things I want to do over the winter is write up some spell vocals. The Highguard brief gives “reciting ceremonial passages” as a means by which rituals are cast so it seems a good fit for regular spell vocals as well. I tend to go for a mix of invoking examples set by past figures (I use the Navigator in general, or Atun specifically, for Operate Portal) and general speech or description (“I break this bond that this ring may serve another master as faithfully as it did…”).

Ten seconds is longer than it sounds, I don’t think I actually manage to improvise for that long at a time! I’ve considered ringing a bell or chime in aid of casting spells but that doesn’t really replace vocal components. But at least it isn’t the thirty seconds of many Maelstrom cantrips…

There’s a lot of flavour in what is suggested for spell vocals - it’s a shame if it is reduced to repeating “By the power of magic I heal you” for ten seconds!

One thing I like that I’ve encountered in play were arguements about whether or not one should invoke the Virtues while casting magic. Personally IC as a mage and a priest I’ve always combined the two but I like that it is something that is discussed.

I invoke runes as well but I don’t have fixed vocals, a lot depends on how I’m feeling. If i’m angry my open portal is much more of a demand than if I’m not when it can sometimes be something not too far from a request though still with certainty that it will be obeyed.

I tend to invoke Loyalty a lot when binding items and while somewhat seperate I tend to call others to proclaim their loyalty towards the targets when I invoke Ascetic Star of Atun, But that comes from my personal theories about how ritual magic works.

As I have ordered the Earth, so let the Heavens be ordered; as the Heavens are ordered, so let the Earth ordered be.
(credit: Gwyntar)

Said in a measured tone of voice it’s eightish seconds long, leaving two seconds to describe the spell, and I use both hands to trace out a constellation (Door and Key for opening a portal, Cup for bonding an item, and I suspect I’d be using Fountain for Heal or Purity or Restore).

If I ever get around to playing my nervous healer, the vocal will be “Okay, going to need to use magic - don’t panic. This is more serious than I - hang on - shit. Right. Cover your eyes. CLEAR!”

I make up poor verse.
I mostly make it scan and I sometimes get it to rhyme.
But the fun bit for me is making it up as I go along.

My favorite verbals so far was one of the Dusties singing their healing song.

That said, just as minimum kit is acceptable, chanting heal for 10 seconds is acceptable.

Using an acolyte’s wand:
By the structure in this wand be your structure mended; bone to bone, flesh to flesh, blood to blood, skin to skin. You are healed.

By my power and the strength of my ancestors, flee before the Thule! …REPEL

“OI! PORTAL! OPEN UP I SAY! OPEN UP OR I’LL STICK THIS WAND IN THE SPACE BETWEEN THE WORLDS AND RUDDY WELL CROWBAR IT OPEN BY ME WILL AND MAGIC! D’YE HEAR ME?”

Spell vocals for a highly unsubtle landskeeper, complete with Implement-waving.

Bonds and Detect magic tend to involve less showing the magic who’s boss and more calling on hearth magics etc.

The Heal spell generally involves Corvus invoking the purification of Cavul and shouting about the RAW POWER OF SUMMER for 10 seconds.

Entangle goes something along the lines of: Rising roots and twisting vines, the body to trap and the limbs to bind whack ENTANGLE!

As a totally new LRPer before E4 I’d have welcomed some more advice on this from the Wiki (didn’t help I was talked into going a week before the event but that’s a whole different story). I think I ended up falling somewhere between Adam’s proscribed formula and Michael’s healing spell. Hope I was loud and clear enough that people got what I was doing :slight_smile:

On a related but different note, Ritual guidance/ideas would also be cool, especially suggestions for coven interaction.

The wiki page for each ritual has a section of “Common Elements” which has some suggestions to inspire your roleplay from. Typically it includes some runes that might be invoked, pieces of roleplay or significant items that could be used, potentially constellations or dramaturgical figures that are particularly appropriate, and so on. Well worth a look if you just picked your rituals from the chargen app.

My spire got our ritualing principally from the Astronomancy and Hearth Magic pages; one of my aspirations is to get it a bit more epic next year. The danger with a ritual coven that does a lot of them is that they get mechanical.

[quote=“Acrozatarim”]The Heal spell generally involves Corvus invoking the purification of Cavul and shouting about the RAW POWER OF SUMMER for 10 seconds.

Entangle goes something along the lines of: Rising roots and twisting vines, the body to trap and the limbs to bind whack ENTANGLE![/quote]

Given my Heal invariably involves waffle about Autumn…

I can’t help but notice the only two people in this thread appealing to the realms rather than Hearth magic/magical traditions are Archmages. Hmm, perhaps close association with a particular Realm has repurcussions for the more mundane magics…

Or we’re just egomaniacs who feel the need to make it damn clear someone’s just been healed by an archmage, and they should be mighty grateful.

Hmm… invoking Winter for healing magic:

“Behold the power of Winter you who thinks he’s hurt. It will give you something to really cry about. Now scream! Good. You’ll feel better once it drops off.”

[quote=“Michael S”]Hmm… invoking Winter for healing magic:
[/quote]

I’m healing you because The Empire needs you, not because anyone actually cares about you. :wink:

I’m only healing you so you can feel for pain before you die?

I’d particularly like Night…

Maybe I healed you, maybe I just masked the pain? Go let that barbarian hit you if you want to find out which…

[quote=“Vince”]

I can’t help but notice the only two people in this thread appealing to the realms rather than Hearth magic/magical traditions are Archmages. Hmm, perhaps close association with a particular Realm has repurcussions for the more mundane magics…

Or we’re just egomaniacs who feel the need to make it damn clear someone’s just been healed by an archmage, and they should be mighty grateful.[/quote]

I put in some stuff about about summer (being a summer focused mage) in my healing, Tykonus and glory on the battle field in particularly seemed to work quite together with that theme to me.

Couldn’t possibly comment on the other part of the quote though… :slight_smile:

Winter healing? Cut away the the wounded flesh; remove pain, excise the things that make you weak…

Invoking Spring:

I call upon a very VERY small amount of the power of Spring - that’s enough - NO NO NO NO STOP IT DOWN BAD SPRING I SAID ENOUGH! HEAL!