Spending xp on lore and rituals

When you spend xp on lore or rituals, you gain 2 new rituals. Do you have to declare both of them at the point you spend xp? How does this interact with spending xp on the field?

As an example, I want to master a new ritual being codified at the moment. Once it’s codified there will be a prop, and I can do some appropriate rp with that and then go to GoD, spend xp on extra ritual and learn that ritual.

Except I have another ritual to master as part of the xp spend, which I haven’t done any rp for. Do I gain another ritual of choice, wait until after the event, or need to be doing the rp for learning both rituals?

Can you spend the xp in downtime and leave the “space” for a ritual open? Eg I gain day 3 and choose “clarity of the master strategist” and have one mastery space unused? How long could you reasonably leave that space open without breaking rule 7?

I am going out on a limb here, but I do not believe you have to define your rituals when you spend xp.

I hope it works like this in practice, as it’s the way I’ve been writing things like Ritual Texts and assuming the rules support it.

My last bonus apothecary slot was floating between E2 and E3; so I wouldn’t imagine it is different for Rituals

I raised my lore skill this week and didn’t choose the rituals as I wanted to check a few things first. Unless I’m missing something, I can’t now add said rituals. So, you don’t have to choose them, but I think there’s a glitch in the tech stopping you from adding them after the fact (I’m not worried, will email pd at some point but thought I’d mention it before anyone panics).

If you don’t pick rituals/potions/artifice then the system locks you out and you have to email MattP. This is a bug but better than the alternative

[quote=“Andy Raff”]I am going out on a limb here, but I do not believe you have to define your rituals when you spend xp.

I hope it works like this in practice, as it’s the way I’ve been writing things like Ritual Texts and assuming the rules support it.[/quote]

… right, OK, this is not how we have been playing. We totally can, and it will get those Texts used quicker - right now there are quite a few of us on the field with ‘wasted’ slots with rituals that are likely never to be cast. If we can turn round and say “I have never used this ritual, can I master this newer, rarer and therefore shinier one from this text here instead” then I can guarantee that we will do so, probably about five minutes after we get the text, no less, if we can cast said ritual.

[quote=“Iulian”]

[quote=“Andy Raff”]I am going out on a limb here, but I do not believe you have to define your rituals when you spend xp.

I hope it works like this in practice, as it’s the way I’ve been writing things like Ritual Texts and assuming[/quote]

the rules support it.

… right, OK, this is not how we have been playing. We totally can, and it will get those Texts used quicker - right now there are quite a few of us on the field with ‘wasted’ slots with rituals that are likely never to be cast. If we can turn round and say “I have never used this ritual, can I master this newer, rarer and therefore shinier one from this text here instead” then I can guarantee that we will do so, probably about five minutes after we get the text, no less, if we can cast said ritual.[/quote]

We don’t have wasted slots, but we do have an awful lot of people hoarding xp waiting for the ritual we want to become available/useable before actually spending it. Admitted a fair number of our lot are holding in case it takes long enough to buy lore instead, but especially with the new rituals now being codified this is becoming an issue.

Knowing we’ve got the flexibility to buy lores and then can wait to choose the rituals until stuff we want is codified, or until a need to cast it appears, makes for much greater flexibility and rp (you only need 1 Mage with the ritual mastered, and can then teach it out at need rather than needing everyone to commit to contingency slots on the basis of maybe)

Can we get an official answer on the forums, or should I email the official pd address to confirm if leaving rituals unspent is intended, and the website not letting us choose after the fact is a bug?

I can confirm I am sitting here right now with unmastered slots where XP has been spent, although in this case from ‘extra ritual’ rather than ‘lore’.

Next time I am chatting with the boss I’ll bring this up just make sure it’s all working as intended. I need to get him to add some of the new rituals to the DB anyway so they can be mastered.

Hmmmm. I also notice that I appear to have failed to put any rules about ritual texts on the wiki beyond a reference to the Declaration of Imperial Lore. Probably ought to sort that out as well.

One question that came up was if there is a ritual that is not part of Imperial lore, do you need the ritual text to lern it or can anyone with mastery teach it to you also? I have been assuming the former.

Good question, we’ve been assuming the ritual text or a teacher with it already mastered…

The rules require the ritual text; a teacher is only sufficient if it is part of Imperial Lore. There’s a number of reasons for this which include things like explaining why there are not loads’n’loads of obscure rituals around; about making Imperial Lore more appealing; and about Imperial Lore requiring a “choice” given you lose the ritual text.

Like i said, need the rules on ritual texts up but tbh the magic sections o the wiki are very poorly put together and hard to navigate.

So the person with the Ritual Text has complete control over who does and doesn’t Master that ritual?

• The person with that Text can turn up at God with it and a stack of people to Master it,
  • but none of those people can teach anyone else without the Ritual Text?
  • and anyone else trying to cast the Ritual not only can’t have Mastered it, but has to cast it at the Speculative cost (about half again abover the Codified)?

Hmm… remind me why I’m paying 10 thrones to let everyone else play with my toys? :wink:

Just to give an example here Is the text that appears at the bottom of a physrep ritual text.

This item is a ritual text

Any character with the Summer Ritual Lore skill can master this ritual. You must have a free slot or experience point to master a new ritual. After an appropriate period of roleplaying spent studying these pages, it should then be brought to a referee who will add the ritual to those you have mastered. Doing this does not ‘use up’ the ritual text.

This ritual cannot be learned be other means; it cannot be taught by a character who knows it unless the ritual is added to the body of Imperial Lore by the Conclave.

Thanks Jason, didn’t have the text on me.

Same reason anyone lets anyone play with their toys in LRP - and especially Empire - politics and character.

Every time I realise someone is using one of the limited resources (in this case, a new ritual) themselves for their own advancement* rather than sharing it with everyone, I get a sense of enormous wellbeing.

• Which is very different to “sitting on it” (“sticking it up their arses” as the vulgar types in the plot room have it). Using something to make me stronger is always preferable to just putting it in a cupboard to deny other people it. From my POV