As a newish player coming from the reenactment community I noticed that a lot of people use personal metal and pewter tankards to avoid the dreaded event plague.
This is pretty good common sense but it’s also a good idea to test your purchased metal items for lead, wherever you got them from, especially if you’re using old metal or pewter goblets/bowls/tankards that may have been made pre-lead ban (1992 for paint, 2000 for petrol, 1974 for metal, reinforced in 1994 by EU directive).
Here’s how. Big disclaimer, all this is done at your own risk and I bear no responsibility for the results of your tests. These are methods I have used myself:
First of all, look at your item. Does it bear any of the following marks ? If so it is likely to contain lead. Old pewter takes on a dull, heavy patina as it ages, so if your item looks old, it might contain lead. If your tankard is bright and shiny it may be made out of something else like Nickel or Brittania metal. Either way, if you have doubts, it should be tested. Here’s how to do this at home:
Take your item and wash it with soap and water. Dry thoroughly.
Acquire a strong household acid - malt vingear will do, but white vinegar is best.
Invert your item so that it is bottom up and place a dribble of acid on the base. Leave it for two hours or overnight if you like.
If, when you return, the acid has gone milky or has left a stain on the bottom of your item, your item probably contains lead or another metal that will leach into your drink. If you want further proof then I recommend a lead swab testing kit.
Good luck, happy drinking and stay safe.