The Cathleon

From “Highguard Culture and Customs”:

So, Highguard Sports Day, anyone?

What other sports would a sports day include ? I get the feeling that USSR style we’d see Chess (which is mentioned in the background) as a sport too ? I always get the impression that Highguard would see very little difference between cerebral endeavour and excellence and the equivalent physical activities.

People have made efforts at Cathleons on occasion before, but always bounced off disorganisation and so on. I would be very keen for one to happen though.

Chess is possibly not the best game for a tournament type thing, because it can take a while to play matches. Small boards of Go or something might work better instead.

Speed chess ! If you’ve ever seen that played it’s pretty cool

Or what about poetry (was in the original Olympics). I just like the idea of an event which is about the whole individual and not just athletics

Actually with the chess I wasn’t thinking a full tournament, more an exhibition match or somesuch. I think I’m generally seeing this as an opportunity for a festival of Highborn culture and pursuits.

Chess is more of an Urizen thing from their brief. In my head the Highguard are more of a complex card game kind of nation, possibly something like Bridge? Something to keep their minds agile in the evenings in their chapter houses.

If we could just get a race round the campsite with some spear chucking and a finishing race going to start with that would be ace :slight_smile:.

Chess is explicitly given as an example of a Highguard game: profounddecisions.co.uk/empi … nd_customs

I have to admit, I’m thinking of tawla for Highguard. Learnt it in Egypt - it’s a backgammon derivative and it’s absolutely ubiquitous there - which looks, at first, like a game of luck, and which has a significant element of luck, but where the game is in manipulating the probabilities to make sure luck works for you. Is there to be a Highguard winter event? If so, 1) I’m there, and 2) I’ll bring my sets :slight_smile:

Chess is much more Highborn than Bridge in my mind due to the fact that Chess is entirely down to the skill and strategy of the players - luck plays no part, and that’s a noted thing in the brief for the Highborn to want in their games.

There should be weight divisions for the Cathleon. Light, Medium and Heavy. And the divisions have nothing to do with the size of the competitor and everything to do with the weight of their armour. Heavy should be run with a shield as well as the armour… or maybe there could be “with shield” subdivisions for M and H competitions.

On the cerebral side, “…chess, backgammon, othello, draughts, tafl and go…” would certainly include variants, which tawla is. There’s a roman (or at least roman-flavoured, if its true form was derived elsewhere and appropriated) variant/ancestor of backgammon, too. Can’t remember the name.

I reckon Highguard could book a slot (or two) in the arena for some games if done in advance. A few different types of games could be run at the same time if different people took responsibility for each one. But I think it would at least need to be at the spring if not the summer event. I really like this idea and like the idea of having physical and mental pursuits. It gives everyone a chance to take part if they want. I reckon there should be kids events also.

The Olympics at Odyssey were a lot of fun for people.

Would it be only for Highborn contestants or others as well?

The Arena is not a regular fixture of Empire - I wouldn’t expect to see it at anything except the Summer summit, and even then it may not be a yearly feature.

Sack race? Egg n spoon race? 3 Legged race with an orc? Surely these are games of skill!

Egg and spoon race? I can think of one Chapter that might have had a lot of practice at that…

[quote=“womble”]There should be weight divisions for the Cathleon. Light, Medium and Heavy. And the divisions have nothing to do with the size of the competitor and everything to do with the weight of their armour. Heavy should be run with a shield as well as the armour… or maybe there could be “with shield” subdivisions for M and H competitions.

On the cerebral side, “…chess, backgammon, othello, draughts, tafl and go…” would certainly include variants, which tawla is. There’s a roman (or at least roman-flavoured, if its true form was derived elsewhere and appropriated) variant/ancestor of backgammon, too. Can’t remember the name.[/quote]

I really love the weight divisions idea, it just makes the Cathelon what it should be - A Highborn version of those insane trials the Gurkhas do running up mountains with full packs.

On the Chess side:

bing.com/videos/search?q=you … FORM=VIRE1

Obviously it wouldn’t be that fast but I saw people playing in New York where the crowd around them were counting down (it was 10 seconds or some such) after each move. Really put pressure on the players and got quite rowdy which is obviously so off most peoples idea of chess that it’s quite surprising.

(I should note here that my enthusiasm should not lead anyone to believe I’m a chess expert, I’m terrible and rarely play but i do think Chess is an asthetically and metaphorically very strong idea in peoples minds and it is good shorthand for a lot of what Highguard is about: purity, clear right and wrong, service in the military, strong 2 colour heraldry, mosaics etc. Oh and of course HORSES, I suspect in Highborn Chess the Knight is an especially revered piece. Actually if we did this, and with the Nations agreement we could doctor a chess set so that we replace the knights with 2 queens to play as knights and replace the queen with a kinght to represent the queen or Empress piece…sorry I’m having a very dull lunch)

I’ve got it:

[ul]Pawns: Guardians
Bishops: Magisters
Knights: Unconquered (sneaky)
Rooks: Cataphracts (can’t turn)
Queen: Horse
King: Exarch[/ul]

Or if you wanted a slightly more controversial version, you could have the King be the Patrician, and set the game during the Patrician wars.

For an interesting Highborn twist on it, King: Relic (or Reliquary)

It doesn’t run around killing things but if it’s captured you’ve failed.

Morkais/Tea both of those ideas are very cool.

Chess boxing!