The Grimnir Oath

Hey all,

I’m playing a Wintermark Grimnir who has been sadly forced into hurting others to protect his own in the previous five years due to reasons of backstory. Hiding out in mines and keeping Thule off your back will do that, and though my character didn’t want to cause harm, the urge to not die was greater. However, now that our Hall is settled (at least for the moment) I’d like to formalise my position as Grimnir and swear off hurting people, thus taking the Grimnir Oath.

What does it entail? Is there a ceremony? Is there anything official about it? If the answer to those questions is ‘no’, what have people done in the past? Or do people just say that it’s part of their character’s backstory?

Hi Steve,

If You’re worried about breaking the oath whilst you were hiding out in the mines, that seems like something to talk to a crow about. From the wiki ‘a person who feels guilty can seek out a stormcrow and confide whatever it is that is prompting the guilty feelings. A stormcrow can lay a penance, and witness the completion of that penance, effectively absolving the person of their shame.’

as to the other half of your question (I am not a Grimnir, so I might be missing something here or simply mistaken), if you’re looking at making the oath anew, then I believe there is a head Grimnir, who advises the Thane’s council who would take it, the egregores would almost certainly take your oath, as would your thane. Or you can just make it yourself with a mental note. There’s as much or as little game in that as you want there to be.

Hope this helps!

[quote=“063whii”]Hi Steve,

If You’re worried about breaking the oath whilst you were hiding out in the mines, that seems like something to talk to a crow about. From the wiki ‘a person who feels guilty can seek out a stormcrow and confide whatever it is that is prompting the guilty feelings. A stormcrow can lay a penance, and witness the completion of that penance, effectively absolving the person of their shame.’

as to the other half of your question (I am not a Grimnir, so I might be missing something here or simply mistaken), if you’re looking at making the oath anew, then I believe there is a head Grimnir, who advises the Thane’s council who would take it, the egregores would almost certainly take your oath, as would your thane. Or you can just make it yourself with a mental note. There’s as much or as little game in that as you want there to be.

Hope this helps![/quote]

Thanks for replying :slight_smile: No, not concerned about having broken anything; in character, I never took the oath. So I’m trying to find out how to, now. Thanks, though; I might cross-post this to the Facebook group and see if there’s any suggestions there as well. Surely I’m not the first Grimnir to want to take the Oath at an event!