Thrusting rules

hi, sorry to ask using a topic, though i have searched on the forum and rules and can see no confirmed yes/no. i know in LT thrusting isn’t allowed, however i was wondering what empire’s rules were as i’m playing a bravo and was hoping to be able to fence properly as opposed to merely slashing. any advice is appreciated.
thanks
Josh

profounddecisions.co.uk/empi … %26_armour

I’m not a ref, but I wouldn’t thrust with anything that didn’t have a stab-safe tip, which, in this system, is the longer weapons only.

[quote=“LauraH”]http://www.profounddecisions.co.uk/empire-wiki/Weapons_%26_armour

I’m not a ref, but I wouldn’t thrust with anything that didn’t have a stab-safe tip, which, in this system, is the longer weapons only.[/quote]

i was hoping to thrust with a 42" sword with at least 1" of foam over the tip, the common safety tip requirements.

" Two-handed weapons

Must be over 42” long and up to 60” long
Can call CLEAVE using a hero point and the Cleaving Strike skill
Can call SHATTER using a hero point and the Shattering Blow skill
You must hold the weapon in both hands 

If you expend a hero point then any two-handed weapon can be used to call CLEAVE, or SHATTER if the weapon is at least 48" long, provided you also have the relevant skill.

The phys-rep for a two-handed weapon can be any suitable phys-rep such as a great sword, dane axe or similar. You must hold the weapon in both hands during combat."

I’d read that as no, you can’t (as having a stab-safe tip isn’t an option), but I would email PD to get a definite call.

Hi, Empire ref here.

Please email in for a formal call.

However:

You can only thrust with a weapon which has a thrust-safe tip. This is a specially constructed tip made out of several layers of closed-cell and open-cell foam, leather reinforcement and so on, designed to prevent any risk of the core exiting the tip. A normal 1" of foam does not count as such a tip.

You cannot thrust with any 42" weapon, whether it has a thrust-safe tip or not.

Therefore no, you may not thrust with your sword. Please do not do so.

Thank you for the clarification.

Oh, one final note. If you intend to thrust with a weapon, please mention it when you are having the weapon checked, so the weapons checkers can look it over with that in mind. If you didn’t have it checked for this, then don’t thrust.

I’m not going to bother anymore since its better to be safe than sorry. I’ll still have it checked for safety precautions. I tend to be over careful

You need to get all weapons checked anyway :slight_smile:

I know that I just meant I’m not going to bother about the tip but still going to see if it would comply in case I accidentally jabbed someone

profounddecisions.co.uk/empi … ent_safety
“You must not thrust with any weapon unless it is a thrust-safe pole-arm.”

What counts as a pole-arm? See the Weapon Categories section:
profounddecisions.co.uk/empi … #Pole-arms
…and also the “One-handed spear” category immediately following.